Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Martin signed on the 17th Oct 1970 according to the Evening Times.

I've got files on lots of these trial / short term signings, ex Clyde keeper John Wright is another who signed a short term deal for 1972-73 and never played for the first XI but played in 11 second XI games before retiring. Interview with him from 2008 here.

I think I got the dates from the Scottish Football Archives transfer pages; I might have got the date wrong, or either that archive or the ET is wrong.

Edited by Jaggernaut

In the earlier fotie, v Dunfermline, could that by any chance have been an afternoon midweek game? I have vivid memories of a home cup game against them, around that time, and being given permission to dog school by my dad who took me.

BJ, it was a Saturday.

We did play them at Firhill midweek in August of that season, in the League Cup. Lost 0-3. They are definitely a bogey team for us in cups.

In the meantime, here's another pic. Eerie floodlights on the main stand, and a dim view of part of the city end terracing.

I've got this labelled as "Goal vs. Killie," so some research required for details...

goal_v_killie.jpg

A tricky one, as I can't make out the top left autograph. All the others played in 2-3 defeat to Killie on 24th December, 1960. Our scorers were Alex Wright and Tommy Ewing. Here it looks like Tommy Ewing has just scored. I think that's George Muir coming in to join the celebration.

Thanks Jaggernaut for this posting. In the huddle are Neil Duffy, Tommy Ewing, Joe McBride and Dougie Baird. George Smith and Frank Donlevy are coming to join them. Scotland centre half Willie Toner is waking away is blaming the full back . And the ballboy is...........me. After the photo appeared in the newspaper my dad went to their office in town and got the photo. In the 90s I took it to one of these events where lots of former players were present and I got many autographs. I sent a scanned copy of the photo to the programme editor for use if he ever wanted it. So it must have eventually reached where Jaggernaut found it.I must dig out t original and find out who all signed it.

Great story.

• Like 1

Process of elimination using the Hibs defender on the line. Looks like Ally Brazil. Also Tony Higgins, once of this parish. Not a floodlit match so rules out the cup-tie the previous year. My guess is 29 Sept 1979 (2-1 Melrose and McAdam) with Doyle, Marr and O'Hara in the thick of the action.

Rough, McKinnon, Whittaker, Campbell, Marr, O'Hara, Park, Gibson, McAdam, Melrose and Doyle. Sub: Jardine.

Process of elimination using the Hibs defender on the line. Looks like Ally Brazil. Also Tony Higgins, once of this parish. Not a floodlit match so rules out the cup-tie the previous year. My guess is 29 Sept 1979 (2-1 Melrose and McAdam) with Doyle, Marr and O'Hara in the thick of the action.

Rough, McKinnon, Whittaker, Campbell, Marr, O'Hara, Park, Gibson, McAdam, Melrose and Doyle. Sub: Jardine.

I'd have said Melrose rather than Doyle….?

Deffo Davidson, Ledgerwood and Hogan. They only played 3 times together at Tynecastle but since Hogan was at centre in 2 of them my guess is 18 October 1959. (0-2). Team: Ledgerwood, Hogan, Baird, Mathers, Davidson, Donlevy, Mckenzie, Wright, Smith, McParland, Ewing.

three members of scotland's 1954 world cup squad in that line up - jimmy davidson, johnny mckenzie and 22-year-old davie mathers

This looks like the follow-up to the action in the earlier picture of this tarts vs. Thistle match from 1989. McPherson out jumped Dempsey and got in the header, which Brough saved. Dempsey is still on the deck and McPherson is trying to pounce on the loose ball after Brough parried. Kerr has come around to protect the goal line, but it looks like Brough is saving again. Not much of a shift from Collins; in fact he hasnae shifted position since the last picture!

Heartsvs_Jags89_2.png

That sounds horrible. Glad I wasn't there!

sadly, i was there as a nine-year-old. as my dad and i walked away from firhill to catch the trolley bus home to the south side i looked up at him and said: 'but it might have been different if george smith's shot in the first minute had gone in and not hit the post, wouldn't it?'

'yes, son,' he replied. 'it would have been 10-3....'

the front page of the green citizen ran a headline proclaiming 'hibs stock up for xmas'

Bit of detective work required here. The source where I got this pic says it's Thistle vs. Morton 1959. But we didn't play Morton at all that year. In fact we didn't play them until a Scottish Cup match on Feb 4th 1963, a 3-2 win (Duffy, Hainey 2).

The Thistle strip is correct for '63. Looks like this could be one of Hainey's goals.

Jagsv_Morton59.png

That was our only match in February of 1963, and we played only one match in the whole of January too due to the severe winter. That break of course disrupted our great league run, so instead of winning the division that year we ended up (only!) third.

• Like 1

Bit of detective work required here. The source where I got this pic says it's Thistle vs. Morton 1959. But we didn't play Morton at all that year. In fact we didn't play them until a Scottish Cup match on Feb 4th 1963, a 3-2 win (Duffy, Hainey 2).

The Thistle strip is correct for '63. Looks like this could be one of Hainey's goals.

Jagsv_Morton59.png

That was our only match in February of 1963, and we played only one match in the whole of January too due to the severe winter. That break of course disrupted our great league run, so instead of winning the division that year we ended up (only!) third.

i used to love watching games in the snow played with an orange ball

i used to love watching games in the snow played with an orange ball

Tough one this. Definitely Hainey but I think I spot Gordon Whitelaw as well. Usual process of deductions on the games they played together at Firhill, discounting the months snow was unlikely, suggests it's either:

Kilmarnock 29/12/62 (3-2, Duffy Cowan, Whitelaw).

or

Morton 5/2/63 (3-2, Hainey (2), Whitelaw).

Since Hainey looks like he's scored I think it's Morton (who probably changed strips because they also played in hoops).

Team: Ramsay, Hogan, Brown, McParland, Harvey, Cunningham, Cowan, Whitelaw, Hainey, Duffy, Fleming.

Always open to correction but I think it's Firhill all right. I think the clue is the "telephone pole" floodlight behind each goal. Don't think many clubs had that set-up. Long after the lights had disappeared, the "tree stump" was cut down to the level of the advertising boards behind the goal at the city end.

Funny the things you remember!