Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

This thread has been a pleasure to read and a good contrast to the bickering and point-scoring elsewhere. Thanks to Jaggernaut for an apparently endless supply of Thistle photographs and to A F Kincaid for some brilliant detective work - top of the range Thistle Anoraks as Christmas presents for both of you I hope!

• Like 1

Bit of detective work required here. The source where I got this pic says it's Thistle vs. Morton 1959. But we didn't play Morton at all that year. In fact we didn't play them until a Scottish Cup match on Feb 4th 1963, a 3-2 win (Duffy, Hainey 2).

The Thistle strip is correct for '63. Looks like this could be one of Hainey's goals.

Jagsv_Morton59.png

That was our only match in February of 1963, and we played only one match in the whole of January too due to the severe winter. That break of course disrupted our great league run, so instead of winning the division that year we ended up (only!) third.

Perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't George Niven break his wrist and due to atrocious weather and us not playing for about eight weeks, he never missed a game?

Correct- almost!

Niven cracked a bone in his wrist against Clyde on 1 January 1963. He came back against St Mirren on 2 March. In that time Thistle only played 1 game - the cup-tie against Morton - and Ramsay deputised.

Ramsay's one and only game for Thistle. I'm guessing that the usual back-up keeper then, Jim Gray, was also injured.

Correct- almost!

Niven cracked a bone in his wrist against Clyde on 1 January 1963. He came back against St Mirren on 2 March. In that time Thistle only played 1 game - the cup-tie against Morton - and Ramsay deputised.

I went to that Clyde game with my Dad. Within 100 yds of leaving the house a fellow Jag motorist saw our scarves and offered us a lift to Shawfield and he brought us back. Genuine fans and happy days.

• Like 1

Name the legends!

Source of the pic gives the date as 1958, but I'm sure it's later -- season 60-61.

Great view of the old north terracing. Oh, and check out the brilliant tracksuits and baseball boots!

Training_Firhill60.png

2nd in is Joe McBride who signed in November 1960 and was sold Nov 1962 for £5,000 :rolleyes:

Name the legends!

Source of the pic gives the date as 1958, but I'm sure it's later -- season 60-61.

Great view of the old north terracing. Oh, and check out the brilliant tracksuits and baseball boots!

Training_Firhill60.png

I only know Donnie McKinnon on the right, but then again I was only just born in 1961 :)

Name the legends!

Training_Firhill60.png

Joe Hogan, Joe McBride, not sure but it could be Gordon Whitelaw, Billy Hainey, Neil Duffy and Donnie McKinnon

Edited by Lindau

• 2 weeks later...

One from Stu Jag's collection.

Two Thistle legends and another fine servant in this photo.

No, that's not Steve Marriott on the ball.

Fosythvs_Hibs.jpg

Either season 71-72 or 72-73. In those two seasons we played Hibs 3 times at Firhill, and lost them all. Given the crowd, I'm going for the 2-0 defeat in the Scottish Cup on Feb 3rd, 1972 (crowd: 21,000 !)

Interesting to see no badge on the Hibs top.

Edited by Jaggernaut

One from Stu Jag's collection.

Two Thistle legends and another fine servant in this photo.

No, that's not Steve Marriott on the ball.

Fosythvs_Hibs.jpg

Either season 71-72 or 72-73. In those two seasons we played Hibs 3 times at Firhill, and lost them all. Given the crowd, I'm going for the 2-0 defeat in the Scottish Cup on Feb 3rd, 1972 (crowd: 21,000 !)

Interesting to see no badge on the Hibs top.

Forsyth, Glavin and Arthur Duncan

Alex Forsyth and Ronnie Glavin are probably my two all-time favourites - real Thistle players!

With the size of the crowd, this must be the cup game against Hibs in 1972. Frank Coulston missed the game because of injury - no coincidence that we didn't play well.

Thanks again for posting these pictures Jaggernaut - this thread is an oasis amongst all the nonsense posted elsewhere in this forum just now.

Some rare Jags footage here from 1st April 1972, Celtic 3 Thistle 1. Lasts a couple of minutes from about 2'10. Once again, the uploader is not Thistle minded and doesn't show Coulston scoring. There's basically just two scenes - you see Jimmy Johnstone putting them 3-0 up (24 minutes gone) and then a good old stramash in the dying minutes of the game, with the score at 3-1.

Some rare Jags footage here from 1st April 1972, Celtic 3 Thistle 1. Lasts a couple of minutes from about 2'10. Once again, the uploader is not Thistle minded and doesn't show Coulston scoring. There's basically just two scenes - you see Jimmy Johnstone putting them 3-0 up (24 minutes gone) and then a good old stramash in the dying minutes of the game, with the score at 3-1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yU5uKg-noU

"What a stramash!" Good old Arthur.

A couple vs. Hibs for comment.

No specific ID on these, so....

The first one shows the high wall at the city end, so probably still pre-1960; the Thistle top backs this up. The weather looks grim, so maybe we've just shipped one of 10 (2-10; what an awful score! ) on 19th Dec, 1959.

Interesting to see the two corner floodlight pylons at the far end.

vs_Hibs_Dec759.png

Edited by Jaggernaut