Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Yes, Jimmy Miller, not Brand. 

Ferguson only played once at Ibrox so it has to be 15/9/1962 a 2-1 defeat in the league.  Niven, Hogan, Brown, Ferguson, Harvey, Cunningham, Smith, Whitelaw, McBRIDE, Duffy, McParland.

McBride knocked in a McParland cross (26) but Rangers equalised when Niven couldn't hold a 30-yarder (40).  A goal from close in (44) proved to be the winner.  McBride played the 2nd half with his leg strapped up.  The Evening Times praised Niven for stemming the Rangers tide.

• Thanks 1

Even the official history book has a few question marks instead of players' names for this one from 73-74. It also has regrettable spelling mistakes (Hanson instead of Hanen, Stracken instead of Strachan). But maybe somebody can identify the "?s":

Back row left

Back row 3rd from left

Middle row left (beside Hansen)

Middle row 3rd from right (between Houston and Rae)

Pity they've got questions marks instead of names for Donnie McKinnon and Jackie Husband.

thumbnail_IMG_8447.jpg

Could be  non Thistle but I was recently given the personnel collection of photo's, press cuttings and memorabilia from former Chairman Miller Reid, and I'm trying to ID some of the pictures.

This one has Tom Reid in the middle carrying the hat next to the Lord Provost.

pic.jpg

scraps2a.jpg

2 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

My guess is that provost is not from Glasgow? See attached photo of Victor Warren c/w chain of office [the provost in the early 50's]

provost-modified.png

Didn't think it was a Glasgow LP due to the shape of the stadium, but still think it's in Scotland due to the Police hats.

If it is indeed Sir James Miller, he was LP of Edinburgh 1951-54 so that narrows it down.  Taking a wild guess here.  Tom Reid may have been there in his capacity as President of the Scottish League (?).  Hibs won the league in 1950/51 and 1951/52.  Could this be the start of either season 1951/52 or 1952/53 at Easter Road with the LP officiating at the championship flag being raised?  Either 11/8/1951 (League Cup) or 8/9/1951 (League) or the following year 9/8/52 or 6/9/52 assuming Hibs were at home on these dates.  Looks like the crowd are dressed for a Scottish summer!

Edited by a f kincaid
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

My guess is that provost is not from Glasgow? See attached photo of Victor Warren c/w chain of office [the provost in the early 50's]

provost-modified.png

17 hours ago, stuthejag said:

"Could be  non Thistle but I was recently given the personnel collection of photo's, press cuttings and memorabilia from former Chairman Miller Reid, and I'm trying to ID some of the pictures."

That reminds me: Maybe 10 years ago I bought around 100 original press photos of Jags players and action, from the guy who used to have the programme and memorabilia shop in Parnie Street. Some great pictures there, almost none of which I'd ever seen, though if I remember correctly mostly from the miserable 80s.

Along with too much of my other Thistle-related and other stuff, they are somewhere in my long-suffering brother's loft (or my sister's), while I see out my long-term exile in the Land of the Rising Sun. One day they'll hopefully help to keep this thread going strong.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 12:28 AM, Jaggernaut said:

I love the one with all the fans in the background. Think I spotted two women. And no supporters scarves or replica tops back then.

ETA: Took another quick look: 3rd woman spotted.

I think I spotted another 2 women wearing fake beards and carrying handfuls of gravel.

Is the guy in the elaborate suit there to carry the white gloves and the pinnie?

6 hours ago, jaggy said:

Nobby Clark and Andy Anderson. Can’t make out the other Jag. It might be Ally Scott next to Anderson, if so I think he played a few games for us. It could be Derek Johnstone heading the ball.

It's likely to be a defender, so I'll guess John Hansen.

1 minute ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

That's an Archibald Leitch designed lattice grandstand [but not the one belonging to the ugly blue sister], that might narrow down the year and the match?

It's us v Man City in the 4 team pre-season tournament at Ibrox, 77 or 78. Tennents Cup I think? I think we played Southampton as well. I was on holiday so I missed it