Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Alloa not Arbroath in the Play-off as I recall - Arbroath had already been eliminated by us in the Group stage.

definitely Alloa in the play-offs. I was 10 at the time and lived at the other side of the city, so only really got to Saturday games then, but I'm sure I was at the Alloa home leg

a bit before my time, so I'm not sure of any of the Jags. I'm guessing Joe Harper for the Dons, but only because of your clue as it doesn't really look like him

Correct. A young Harper, before he perfected his impersonation of a barrel. For the Jags, we have Bobby Gray and John Hansen in the background. The other two……. will be revealed before long, I'm sure.

Correct. A young Harper, before he perfected his impersonation of a barrel. For the Jags, we have Bobby Gray and John Hansen in the background. The other two……. will be revealed before long, I'm sure.

are you sure one of them is John Hansen? none of them look like him

I think this is Pittodrie 11 October 1969. (1-2 Coulston).

Looks like Jim Dick in goal and Bobby Gray running back. Don't recognise the player next to the keeper but deffo Harper. Looking at the team that day, it could be Rowan. He only played 9 first-team games.

Team was: Dick, Reid, Gray, McLindon, McKinnon, Rowan,Flanagan, Smith, Bone, Hansen, Duncan. Sub: Coulston.

I think this is Pittodrie 11 October 1969. (1-2 Coulston). Looks like Jim Dick in goal and Bobby Gray running back. Don't recognise the player next to the keeper but deffo Harper. Looking at the team that day, it could be Rowan. He only played 9 first-team games. Team was: Dick, Reid, Gray, McLindon, McKinnon, Rowan,Flanagan, Smith, Bone, Hansen, Duncan. Sub: Coulston.

I have another pic of Harper scoring in this game (taken from his autobiography :ph34r: )

I think this is Pittodrie 11 October 1969. (1-2 Coulston). Looks like Jim Dick in goal and Bobby Gray running back. Don't recognise the player next to the keeper but deffo Harper. Looking at the team that day, it could be Rowan. He only played 9 first-team games. Team was: Dick, Reid, Gray, McLindon, McKinnon, Rowan,Flanagan, Smith, Bone, Hansen, Duncan. Sub: Coulston.

It was Harper's first game for the Dons. I wonder how many goals he scored against us!

Anybody know what happened to Rowan?

Ian Dick? Anybody know where he went after leaving Thistle?

After leaving Thistle Jim Rowan had a short spell as manager of East Stirling. No idea what he did after that.

Dick signed for Adrossan Winton Rovers before brief spells at St Mirren & Albion Rovers.

Rowan man of many clubs before his spell at Thistle was also Chairman of the SPFA, after Thistle he Managed East Stirling, Scouted for Celtic, had a spell as caretaker Manager of Clyde and coached the bully wee between 1973-75.

Dick signed for Adrossan Winton Rovers before brief spells at St Mirren & Albion Rovers.

Rowan man of many clubs before his spell at Thistle was also Chairman of the SPFA, after Thistle he Managed East Stirling, Scouted for Celtic, had a spell as caretaker Manager of Clyde and coached the bully wee between 1973-75.

Interesting to know, thanks!

On the subject of goalkeepers, I just discovered that ex-Ibrox goalie Norrie Martin was also a Thistle player.... on paper at least.

Signed from East Fife on Oct. 24 1970, transferred to Queen of the South on Nov. 28 1970. Thistle appearances: 0.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a Scot Symon-"inspired" signing, a short-term job for his old 'keeper at Ibrox.

Another such signing was ex-Celt Willie Wallace: signed for us from an Aussie team on Mar. 12 1977, transferred to Ross County on Mar. 26, 1977. Thistle appearances: 0. Ex playing colleague of our then manager Bertie Auld.

ETA: Oops, mistake sorted. Think I got away with it….

Edited by Jaggernaut

On the subject of goalkeepers, I just discovered that ex-Ibrox goalie Norrie Martin was also a Thistle player.... on paper at least. Signed from East Fife on Oct. 24 1970, transferred to Queen of the South on Nov. 28 1970. Thistle appearances: 0. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a Scot Symon-"inspired" signing, a short-term job for his old 'keeper at Ibrox. Another such signing was ex-Celt Willie Wallace: signed for us from an Aussie team on Mar. 12 1977, transferred to Ross County on Mar. 26, 1970. Thistle appearances: 0. Ex playing colleague of our then manager Bertie Auld.

Martin signed on the 17th Oct 1970 according to the Evening Times.

I've got files on lots of these trial / short term signings, ex Clyde keeper John Wright is another who signed a short term deal for 1972-73 and never played for the first XI but played in 11 second XI games before retiring. Interview with him from 2008 here.