Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Wild guess comes up with the right answer Semi. 

Motherwell player nearest the camera is Willie Hunter and looks like Davie Mathers behind him so narrows it down to the 1-1 draw in the final League Cup section match (30/8/1958). Thistle won the section and beat Arbroath and Celtic on the way to the final but they got gubbed by Hearts 5-1.  Attendance given as 18,000.

Ledgerwood, Davidson, Baird, Mathers, Hogan, Donlevy, Smith, Wright, KERR, McParland, Keenan.

H. Weir, McSeveney, Brown, Aitken, Martis, McCann, HUNTER, Quinn, St John, Forrest, A. weir.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

I'm old enough to remember the likes of 18,000 attendances (or more) against teams like Hearts or Aberdeen. 

I started supporting thistle in 1969 and although in the 70s we had some great crowds outwith the OF related games, there was a massive drop off in our base support in the 60s. I've always wondered why.....

'69, we'd still be getting 10-12000 against Aberdeen.

I think football became overpriced - I always measured it in pints. Price of a football game when I started going (Nov 63) would have been about the price of two pints; now it the price of 7 pints (I can still get change out of £3 for a (very decent) pint of Guinness in Maryhill Road. The attraction of a live game isn't what it was; we went through the fires of hell at the end of the 60's; creeping neglect; terrible team, relegation. We went on a steady decline form being in the old Fairs Cup in '64 to the old Second Division. Never really recovered, though were still getting 10,000+ occasionally on our return to the First  Division.

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

'69, we'd still be getting 10-12000 against Aberdeen.

I think football became overpriced - I always measured it in pints. Price of a football game when I started going (Nov 63) would have been about the price of two pints; now it the price of 7 pints (I can still get change out of £3 for a (very decent) pint of Guinness in Maryhill Road. The attraction of a live game isn't what it was; we went through the fires of hell at the end of the 60's; creeping neglect; terrible team, relegation. We went on a steady decline form being in the old Fairs Cup in '64 to the old Second Division. Never really recovered, though were still getting 10,000+ occasionally on our return to the First  Division.

That would work if the relative cost of alcohol hadn't been falling during that period.

On 9/1/2019 at 7:03 PM, scotty said:

That would work if the relative cost of alcohol hadn't been falling during that period.

It does work.

Beer is about 30 times dearer now than it was then. 10p (closest I can  get to 1/10 for  pint of heavy) x 30 = £3.00.

Cost of Firhill admission 25p (5s) x 30 = should be £7.50. In fact £20.00.

49 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

It does work.

Beer is about 30 times dearer now than it was then. 10p (closest I can  get to 1/10 for  pint of heavy) x 30 = £3.00.

Cost of Firhill admission 25p (5s) x 30 = should be £7.50. In fact £20.00.

Trying not to go into Four Yorkshiremen mode.......No doubt pints of light would be cheaper but I can mind 1s/10p (9p)  for a pint of McEwans Export in the Aragon.  A quarter gill of whisky was circa 2s/4p (12p) in most pubs, tho' I mind the Aragon itself was fifth gill. What was really dear was music. An album would cost £1/10s (£1.50) so you could buy around 15 pints for about half a CDs worth of music. You'd greet like hell when your LP got scratched.

Oh, and I'm sure that is Tommy Gibb :)