Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

I don't know the answer, but I did not George Muir (does he not hold a club record for playing every game in a season - before subs of course) was before Jackie Campbell.

Since we're being perverse, and talking about 2-3-5 formations, I wish to enter the extremely controversial opinion that it was never 2-3-5. Ever.

The Centre Half (as was) was never a half back (i.e., not a defensive midfielder like the right and left half) but always a full back sitting behind the half back line, controlling/defending the centre of the penalty box.

It was therefor more like 3-2-5, or even 3-4-3 if you considered the wing halves and inside forwards to be two elements of the midfield (defensive and attacking respectively); if you wanted to be really pedantic (ok, I will then), it was 3-2-2-3 with the wingers and centre forward as out and out attackers.

But as Brian Clough famously said, don't fill their heads with complicated tactics and instructions!

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

Davis, Lennox, McNeill, Gray, Hughes, Campbell, Ritchie.  (You've done this one before Jaggernaut!)

I don't like to contradict you AFK, but I don't believe Harold Davis played in the same team as Billy Richie. Looking at the archive, Davis played the one season 1964/65, but Billy Richie did not joint Thistle until 1967.

DmcP?

Can only find 1 game when Park played with the No 8 shirt against Celtic at Firhill so looks line 23/9/1978 in a 2-3 defeat in the league.  Dougie Somner scoring with a penalty to make it 2-1 after Melrose had equalised.  A soft penalty after h-t made it 2-2 then the winner came 2 minutes later.  Park hit the post. Somner had a goal disallowed and Celtic defended desperately to see the game out.  Changed Days!

L-R Melrose, Somner, Burns, Latchford, Houston, Park Lynch(?).

Rough, MacKinnon, Whittaker, Campbell, Marr, Gibson, Houston, Park, SOMNER, MELROSE, Love.

Edited by a f kincaid
Clarity!
  • Like 1