Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Can only find one match in which Tommy Rae and John Hansen played v Celtic at Firhill.  16 Feb 1970.  An all-too-familiar 1-5 thrashing  with Celtic reportedly not at their best.  If the numbers are correct it's John Brogan  and McNeill.  Hansen came on as a late sub so the photo is well into the match (Monday night).  Gemmell's goals were penalties.  Rae scored with a header @ 0-4.

Ritchie, Reid, Holt, Clark, Gray, Johnston, RAE, Smith, Flanagan, Bone. Lawrie.  (Hansen)

Williams, Craig, GEMMELL (2), Brogan, McNeill, Hay, JOHNSTONE, HOOD, Wallace, Lennox, Hughes.  (MACARI)

On 11/18/2019 at 9:16 PM, stuthejag said:

Anybody name the opposition ?

IMG_20191118_211359.jpg

Put me out my misery please Stu.

A wee bit of research suggests this is from 2-0 League Cup game v Motherwell in August 1981. Willie Gibson scored 2nd goal in that game.

As Jaggy states, Motherwell did have a kit like that. However, from 1979, Adidas were their kit suppliers. Although the shorts look like Adidas, the top is definitely Admiral, who were their kit suppliers in the previous years. Could it be they wore a mix of old kit and new kit that day to avoid clash?

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Looks like the old floodlights at the 'Brox. Tommy Rae for us with possibly Johnny Gibson backing him up? Kaj Johansen (2) and Dave Smith or Colin  Jackson (6) for Rangers?

Hmm.... Look top left; you can clearly see "RTICK THISTLE" on the roof of the main stand at Firhill. Yep, Tommy Rae scoring, but I think the other jag is Jimmy Bone.

On 11/20/2019 at 2:36 PM, Jag said:

Put me out my misery please Stu.

A wee bit of research suggests this is from 2-0 League Cup game v Motherwell in August 1981. Willie Gibson scored 2nd goal in that game.

As Jaggy states, Motherwell did have a kit like that. However, from 1979, Adidas were their kit suppliers. Although the shorts look like Adidas, the top is definitely Admiral, who were their kit suppliers in the previous years. Could it be they wore a mix of old kit and new kit that day to avoid clash?

Don't actually know (that's why I was asking), I thought it might be from the pre-season Highland tour.

5 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Tommy Rae and Jimmy Bone.  I thought it was Ibrox as well - until I noticed the Partick Thistle sign (top left hand corner)!

Wonderful photo!!!    As other people have said, I thought Ibrox until I saw the Thistle sign, and the enclosure area.

Must be the case that floodlighting at grounds to the west side of the city had to have lower lights due to the proximity of Renfrew Airport and the flightpath to the airport?

20 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Wonderful photo!!!    As other people have said, I thought Ibrox until I saw the Thistle sign, and the enclosure area.

Must be the case that floodlighting at grounds to the west side of the city had to have lower lights due to the proximity of Renfrew Airport and the flightpath to the airport?

Is my understanding.

On 11/22/2019 at 3:53 AM, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I don't remember exactly where, but I've seen huge adverts printed on football stadium roofs as my plane approached the airport.  Could Thistle bring in a few quid that way?

On 11/22/2019 at 3:53 AM, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Actually that photo and the Celtic one higher up the page remind me of how terrific the old Firhill arena (the old one, not the Warriors' name for the rather sorry current remains of the stadium) was for atmosphere when there was anything like a big crowd.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I don't remember exactly where, but I've seen huge adverts printed on football stadium roofs as my plane approached the airport.  Could Thistle bring in a few quid that way?

George Carson, of jags lottery and 800 club fame, came up with that idea in the 1990s.

In the same subject, and in the same decade, I flew into Manchester airport and I think it was Stockport County who had their name emblazoned on their stand roof for all to see.

22 hours ago, Rid Skwerr said:

George Carson, of jags lottery and 800 club fame, came up with that idea in the 1990s.

In the same subject, and in the same decade, I flew into Manchester airport and I think it was Stockport County who had their name emblazoned on their stand roof for all to see.

That name is a blast from the past! Is Mr Carson still around?

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

That name is a blast from the past! Is Mr Carson still around?

Aye, he is alive and well and biding in the heelans.

He and Rosie (MacCulloch) live in Invergordon and follow Rosie's childhood team, Ross County.

Haven't seen him at the last couple of games, but he does some work for County on match days.

• Like 1