Jump to content

Jaggernaut

Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Recommended Posts

I think that’s Station Park as you can see legs below the perimeter barriers. Did John McNaught score in the game at Station Park? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arthur Duncan, an early hero of mine. Became a legend at Easter Road, with more league appearances for them than any other player (and earning the name "Bomber" for the way he used to bomb down the wing from his full-back position).

And, at the age of 50, played a blinder in the Save The Jags match of ex-players and "celebs" at Firhill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a roof is going up (or getting replaced) over the terracing.

 

 

 

 

 

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1588962163728.jpg.bbf3378182f9b9828dcee7f3f42d98c1.jpg

Edited by Jaggernaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Looks like a roof is going up (or getting replaced) over the terracing.

 

 

 

 

 

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1588962163728.jpg.bbf3378182f9b9828dcee7f3f42d98c1.jpg

George Muir (looking very lonely) at Muirton Park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Muirton was my first thought too, also based on the other team's strip.

But presuming that's the terracing opposite the stand, then it looks too shallow, compared to this one 10 years or so later.

And I'm not 100% convinced it's George Muir....

unnamed.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Muirton was my first thought too, also based on the other team's strip.

But presuming that's the terracing opposite the stand, then it looks too shallow, compared to this one 10 years or so later.

And I'm not 100% convinced it's George Muir....

unnamed.jpg

Think the clue might be in the advertising boards. Calders Brewery was in Clackmannashire and Aitkens in Falkirk. Neither were "national brands". If Muirton you'd always expect to see trackside ads (as above) for the likes of  Bells, Dewars or Grouse.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

But these floodlights suggest you're right about it being Muirton!

dundee win title at muirton park 1962 c.jpg

That's Dundee clinching the championship at Muirton 28/4/1962 by beating St Johnstone 3-0. Badge on the Dundee player nearest the camera is quite distinctive. St Johnstone player just wants to get off the park. Saints were relegated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure it's Muirton a 4-3 defeat in the League Cup in 1961.

Think played on the goalline is Doug Wright.

This picture from same game, the Muirton main stand was closed due to renovation works.

 

 

 

 

v St Johnstone (A) LC 1961.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stuthejag said:

Sure it's Muirton a 4-3 defeat in the League Cup in 1961.

Think played on the goalline is Doug Wright.

This picture from same game, the Muirton main stand was closed due to renovation works.

 

 

 

 

v St Johnstone (A) LC 1961.jpg

I always liked Muirton, but in multiple visits I don't think I ever saw us win there. For most of my Thistle-following life that was true also for East End Park, Tannadice, and Dens Park! But glad to say that victories at those three grounds were eventually witnessed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I always liked Muirton, but in multiple visits I don't think I ever saw us win there. For most of my Thistle-following life that was true also for East End Park, Tannadice, and Dens Park! But glad to say that victories at those three grounds were eventually witnessed.

I must have been to Broomfield on numerous occasions but I'm struggling to remember a win there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×