Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Another match (another defeat) against Celtic at Firhill.

Alan Hansen, George Mackie, John Marr. (No idea who the guys in green might be.)

sdgz9h.jpg

Not George Mackie, could be Sandy Frame?? For Celtic, Gk is Peter Latchford. Defender could be Roddie McDonald (who later played for us) but I'm not sure. Might be too early for him

Edited by jaggy

Correction much appreciated, jaggy. It does indeed look like Sandy Frame, and that allows precise identification of the match: April 23rd, 1977. A 1-1 draw in front of 18,000, with Dougie Somner scoring for us.

I guess it probably is Roddie McDonald then. I think he played for us around 89/90ish?

And here's one from August 1969 about Bury's latest signing.

http://

A group of us were lucky enough to spend some time with Alex & Tommy Rae in the Aitken Suite after the Ramsden's Cup Final. Tommy was nice enough, but what a top bloke Alex is!!! It cheered up a disappointing day

firhill_zps7a6daf74.jpg

This pic from a selection of celtic pics is baffling me.....is this 1940's or early 50's?? Either way....was there ever a big wall behind the goals? I thought this may be an away game against Moton or something but the pic says Celtic pics.....so it must be Firhill against Celtic ?? Does anyone remember this?

Maybe Jimmy Davidson (left of centre)? But who am I to say as it was before my time.

Talking of the big wall...I always loved the wall under the shed as it gave the ground a bit of character that was unmistakingly Firhill. Don't know if any other grounds had this (maybe Turf Moor)

OOffff...just noticed......the thistle goalie boots the guy in the RS MCalls.......

Edited by whitburn
  • Like 1

Talking of the big wall...I always loved the wall under the shed as it gave the ground a bit of character that was unmistakingly Firhill. Don't know if any other grounds had this (maybe Turf Moor) OOffff...just noticed......the thistle goalie boots the guy in the RS MCalls.......

Not Turf Moor

Chester City's old Sealand Road ground

sealand_road_chester2.jpg

Talking of the big wall...I always loved the wall under the shed as it gave the ground a bit of character that was unmistakingly Firhill.

Loved that wall. Jumped off it quite a few times. Pitch invasions of nowadays are too tame, jumping over (or rather, stretching a leg over) or going round a two to three foot high hoarding is pretty bland compared to the good old days.

firhill_zps7a6daf74.jpg

This pic from a selection of celtic pics is baffling me.....is this 1940's or early 50's?? Either way....was there ever a big wall behind the goals? I thought this may be an away game against Moton or something but the pic says Celtic pics.....so it must be Firhill against Celtic ?? Does anyone remember this?

Maybe Jimmy Davidson (left of centre)? But who am I to say as it was before my time.

Talking of the big wall...I always loved the wall under the shed as it gave the ground a bit of character that was unmistakingly Firhill. Don't know if any other grounds had this (maybe Turf Moor)

OOffff...just noticed......the thistle goalie boots the guy in the RS MCalls.......

I started going in 65/66 season and the City end wall was always less than half that height. When was it knocked down to its later height?

firhill_zps7a6daf74.jpg This pic from a selection of celtic pics is baffling me.....is this 1940's or early 50's?? Either way....was there ever a big wall behind the goals? I thought this may be an away game against Moton or something but the pic says Celtic pics.....so it must be Firhill against Celtic ?? Does anyone remember this? Maybe Jimmy Davidson (left of centre)? But who am I to say as it was before my time. Talking of the big wall...I always loved the wall under the shed as it gave the ground a bit of character that was unmistakingly Firhill. Don't know if any other grounds had this (maybe Turf Moor) OOffff...just noticed......the thistle goalie boots the guy in the RS MCalls.......

That's a brilliant picture! Presumably the wall was a continuation of the high shed wall and was like that for the dugs. (Last race meeting at Firhill was January 1957). I think the wall was demolished and the terracing extended nearer the goal in the early sixties. Question is, was there ever a high wall at the north end? I don't think so, as there was a large space between the goal and the terracing, probably enough for the track and the punters sufficiently far back, but maybe somebody knows differently. I notice a wee blue car or two in the pic; no space for them after the redevelopment of that end.

Based on paralytic thistle's great memory for the faces, this match must be either:

If it's Freddie Renucci in goal, then April 12, 1958 (lost 0-1, crowd 26,000).

If it's Tommy Ledgerwood in goal, then it's November 22, 1958) (won 2-0, goals by Smith and Kerr; crowd 20,000).

By the way: Tommy Ledgerwood: 338 games for Thistle -- Legend! He also scored one goal; I wonder how that came about?

Edited by Jaggernaut

From hearing old stories I'm sure Ledgerwood (from Harthill I think) went to outside right or left at a game against Hearts at Tynecaste due to an injury during the game to someone. Someone else swapped him in goal (no subs in those days). And we won 5- 4 I think and Ledgerwood scored one. Can't mind a hearing a goalie doin that before.

Just another story from the fifties concerning Willie Smith our goalie for a period then ( he was George Smith's cousin).

I was telling a pal about this thread and the talk of the wall at the back of the goal. He had attended Willie's funeral and there was a story told there about a wall at the back of the goal collapsing one day during a game. Willie went to the assistance of some of the fans who fell through and maybe was thought of as a bit of a hero at the time.

Can anybody confirm that this happened and maybe supply some detail?

I was first at Firhill about 59 or 60 and I think the wall had gone by then.