The General Election Thread

The Devil's Point

Five months today will be polling day. Amazing to think it is nearly five years since the formation of the coalition, and another coalition of some sort looks inevitable again.

Salmond is going back to Westminister, and along with Farrage, there is likely to be some interesting stuff with big characters competing for power and central stage.

My opinions of the leaders:

Milliband - rabbit in headlights and out of his depth. Too coldly intellectual and never a leader. Seems too entitled somehow

Cameron - actually think he is quite good, but his party are still a bunch of w******

Clegg - taxi for. Libs will hold on in plenty places, but overall it will be a disaster. Danny Alexander (if he holds Inverness), or Tim Farron will be leader in about six months time

Salmond - may well hold a pivotal role, and the SNP have been very clever in playing the post referendum game. Will make outrageous demands, and an excuse will be found for a second referendum (groan).

Farrage - tosser extraordinaire. A very nasty man whose public personna is totally false. Scary if they hold the balance of power. Coming out of the EU would be insane in my opinion.

Harvie - will just do him as I can't remember the name of the Green leader UK wide. Boring, boring and wrong imo. You only need to look at the vandalism of windfarms to see what happens under the influence of the Greens. Huge areas of Scotland scenically ruined due to their nonsense. Nothing wrong with nuclear - we have it already and you can't disinvent it.

Nick Griffen - Dick

Monster Raving Loonies - unlikely to make much of an impact

Anyway I'm voting Lib Dem for tribal reasons.

Five months today will be polling day. Amazing to think it is nearly five years since the formation of the coalition, and another coalition of some sort looks inevitable again.

Salmond is going back to Westminister, and along with Farrage, there is likely to be some interesting stuff with big characters competing for power and central stage.

Milliband - rabbit in headlights and out of his depth. Too coldly intellectual and never a leader. Seems too entitled somehow

Cameron - actually think he is quite good, but his party are still a bunch of w******

Clegg - taxi for. Libs will hold on in plenty places, but overall it will be a disaster. Danny Alexander (if he holds Inverness), or Tim Farron will be leader in about six months time

Salmond - may well hold a pivotal role, and the SNP have been very clever in playing the post referendum game. Will make outrageous demands, and an excuse will be found for a second referendum (groan).

Farrage - tosser extraordinaire. A very nasty man whose public personna is totally false. Scary if they hold the balance of power. Coming out of the EU would be insane in my opinion.

Harvie - will just do him as I can't remember the name of the Green leader UK wide. Boring, boring and wrong imo. You only need to look at the vandalism of windfarms to see what happens under the influence of the Greens. Huge areas of Scotland scenically ruined due to their nonsense. Nothing wrong with nuclear - we have it already and you can't disinvent it.

Nick Griffen - Dick

Lib Dems- Hahahaha. Neo-Tories. Mightvas well vote Tory as you love Cameron!

Lib Dems- Hahahaha. Neo-Tories. Mightvas well vote Tory as you love Cameron!

I didn't say I loved Cameron! That would certainly be going too far.

What were the Lib Dems supposed to do? The country needed a government as the markets would of collapsed again without the formation of a viable government. Labour had been clearly beaten so we could hardly keep Brown in power. If we had let the Tories govern on their own there would just of been another general election in the autumn of 2010, and the Tories would probably of won a majority of their own. People had to compromise because that's what happens when there is no clear result. It will probably happen again this coming May.

If it's 'neo tory' to have tried to balance the country's books then so be it. I agree the coalition has done some bad things, particularly in terms of what has happened with employment and the low wage economy, but without the Lib Dems in there it would have been far harsher, and even more unequal.

Not ideal, no one thinks it is.

Liberal Democrats: Said bugger all about Atos going through, voted in favour of allowing unemployment benefits to rise at a lower percentage than inflation and also voted in favour of the bedroom tax. With one of there MP's having a hand in creating it! Even though they promised to lower tuition fees (which although doesn't affect us is still relevant) they actually allowed the tories to increase them. There was no compromise, the tories done what they wanted and the not so liberal democrats just sat back and let it all happen. Also showing clear conflict of interest by voting in favour of NHS privitisation which contracts were then handed to tory and lib dem party doners. On a side note my 'enter' key isn't working so I couldn't format this any better!

• Like 1

Liberal Democrats: Said bugger all about Atos going through, voted in favour of allowing unemployment benefits to rise at a lower percentage than inflation and also voted in favour of the bedroom tax. With one of there MP's having a hand in creating it! Even though they promised to lower tuition fees (which although doesn't affect us is still relevant) they actually allowed the tories to increase them. There was no compromise, the tories done what they wanted and the not so liberal democrats just sat back and let it all happen. Also showing clear conflict of interest by voting in favour of NHS privitisation which contracts were then handed to tory and lib dem party doners. On a side note my 'enter' key isn't working so I couldn't format this any better!

These are fair points, although you leave out the things we did make work. Pensions have been better protected than they might have been and there has been movement towards taking low wage earners out of tax. I agree the Atos thing is a disgrace, and yes the Westminister party sat back and allowed a lot more than, certainly the Scottish, Lib Dem membership wanted. The Scottish Lib Dem conference voted pretty much unilaterally against the Bedroom Tax, but we got beat on that one.

We want Home Rule, and have done since the turn of the last century. Not the same as Independence, but the power to be considerably more left leaning than we can be when we have to pander to Southern English constituents.

Nick Griffen - Dick

I will not vote for any of them, especially a party led by Nasty Nicola who looks like "Doll" Nesbitt.

FYI, Nick Griffin (not Griffen) is no longer Chairman (leader) of the BNP and was expelled from the party in October.

Plus it's Ed Miliband (not Milliband) and Nigel Farage (not Farrage).

I will not vote for any of them, especially a party led by Nasty Nicola who looks like "Doll" Nesbitt.

FYI, Nick Griffin (not Griffen) is no longer Chairman (leader) of the BNP and was expelled from the party in October.

I stand corrected. I make no apologies for the BNP one, but the others are schoolboy errors right enough.

As I have laid out, its not a great choice. But there is nothing smart about about not voting.

"Nasty Nicola who looks like "Doll" Nesbitt."

Is that your effort at sharing your grown-up, mature political perspective?

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Like 1

The Scottish results in the UK election will be very interesting. The SNP are polling at around the 45% mark, causing the swing-o-meter all sorts of issues.

Nationally I suspect the Tories will do better than anyone else. I really don't know who to vote for. I've been a member of labour in the past but struggle to support them following the referendum. I live in the Eastleigh constituency which has been a Lib Dem stronghold for a while but could go to the Tories. Saying that, UKIP came second in the by-election following Chris Hune's stepping down.

As well as things being interesting in Scotland, with the SNP apparently getting away with arguing "If you want a labour government, you shouldn't vote labour, you should vote SNP", and nobody really challenging that, they will also be interesting in England.

While I don't welcome the rise of UKIP, they've turned a lot of the electoral arithemetic upside down. Seats where the labour party were third behind the Tories and Fibdems are now potentially winnable for them, as the Fibdem vote will collapse and the Tories will lose at least some support to UKIP. So, I think some of their resources may well be re-directed towards seats which were previously written off. Probably to trying to pick up the Fibdem vote.

And I'm not convinced that the Nats' support will stay at 45% levels in the face of a UK-orientated election campaign.

As well as things being interesting in Scotland, with the SNP apparently getting away with arguing "If you want a labour government, you shouldn't vote labour, you should vote SNP", and nobody really challenging that, they will also be interesting in England.

While I don't welcome the rise of UKIP, they've turned a lot of the electoral arithemetic upside down. Seats where the labour party were third behind the Tories and Fibdems are now potentially winnable for them, as the Fibdem vote will collapse and the Tories will lose at least some support to UKIP. So, I think some of their resources may well be re-directed towards seats which were previously written off. Probably to trying to pick up the Fibdem vote.

And I'm not convinced that the Nats' support will stay at 45% levels in the face of a UK-orientated election campaign.

More fair points, but pretty sarcy. 'FibDems'? If we were that good at lying we'd have been in power years ago.

Nat vote won't stay at 45%., but Salmond has gone there because he knows he can win.

We voted it down, just (a swing of a few percentage points would of seen it different). But Independence is likely still coming and Salmond is going down to mix it up and make it happen.

There is a about to be a massive constitutional bust up. Salmond still leads the SNP

More fair points, but pretty sarcy. 'FibDems'? If we were that good at lying we'd have been in power years ago.

Nat vote won't stay at 45%., but Salmond has gone there because he knows he can win.

We voted it down, just (a swing of a few percentage points would of seen it different). But Independence is likely still coming and Salmond is going down to mix it up and make it happen.

There is a about to be a massive constitutional bust up. Salmond still leads the SNP

It isn't the quality of the lying I was commenting on, it was the quantity. If the Libdems were good at lying, we'd not know they were lying. :)

But I agree about independence.

"Nasty Nicola who looks like "Doll" Nesbitt."

Is that your effort at sharing your grown-up, mature political perspective?

I can't stand Sturgeon and the resemblance is amazing.

Why can't the Nationalists can't take a dose of their own medicine.

• Like 1

My Dad told me about taking his dog out for a piss in the Bathgate Hills in the forties. Hearing the sound of the bombers coming in, and seeing the sky light up over Clydebank.

They should have bombed Airdrie, but it wouldn't have made much difference to the state of the place anyway. If Cumbernauld had been invented then they could have bombed that too.

The Liberal Party may be in a weak place right now, but what happened to Labour? The idea was always that we would think, and you would implement. Now you have been overwhelmed by Nationalism.

Jim Murphy might just bring it back, but Gordon Brown has quit while he is ahead.

Writing on the wall, Independence is coming IMO.

I can't stand Sturgeon and the resemblance is amazing.

Why can't the Nationalists can't take a dose of their own medicine.

Can I ask what she has done to you that makes you say you "can't stand" her? She appears to be amazingly popular amongst a hell of a lot of ordinary folk, although maybe you prefer to brand those people as "Nationalists" and therefore somehow not ordinary.

Can I ask what she has done to you that makes you say you "can't stand" her? She appears to be amazingly popular amongst a hell of a lot of ordinary folk, although maybe you prefer to brand those people as "Nationalists" and therefore somehow not ordinary.

I just find her irritating and, like most politicians, she refuses to address difficult questions. Like Salmond, she refused to even acknowledge that the top EU officials had contradicted her ridiculous claims on Membership post independence. They were wrong and she was always right.

Btw, how do you define "ordinary" folk? in my experience, it's a patronising term used by hack politicians. In reality, they think that they are better, or above, the "ordinary" people that they claim to know and represent. Every time I hear it, I think "prat" and switch off or walk away.

I just find her irritating and, like most politicians, she refuses to address difficult questions. Like Salmond, she refused to even acknowledge that the top EU officials had contradicted her ridiculous claims on Membership post independence. They were wrong and she was always right.

Btw, how do you define "ordinary" folk? in my experience, it's a patronising term used by hack politicians. In reality, they think that they are better, or above, the "ordinary" people that they claim to know and represent. Every time I hear it, I think "prat" and switch off or walk away.

You seem to have a lot of issues, people you find objectionable, etc.

Maybe you should grow a beard! Or at least let us have your positive views on your favourite politicians, why they are so good, answer every question, etc.

Edited by Jaggernaut

You seem to have a lot of issues, people you find objectionable, etc.

Maybe you should grow a beard! Or at least let us have your positive views on your favourite politicians, why they are so good, answer every question, etc.

Typically, you avoided my question on how you define "ordinary folk".

I only have an issue with lying politicians (especially when tell blatant whoppers) and those that try to steal more of my money to bribe the voters. You seem to have an issue with those who dare to contradict your SNP heroes.

I have not named other individual politicians that I find objectionable. You just don't like me finding Sturgeon and Salmond and their lies objectionable. Are you active in SNP politics? Your blind obedience to the party line and hero worship suggests that you are.

I do not have any favourite politicians and distrust all of them. My attitude is summed up by PJ O'Rourke

images.list.co.uk_orourke-LST080116_1.jpg

Your snarling tone barely deserves a response, but I'll give you one, and leave it at that, as I find you tiresome.

What don't you understand about "ordinary folk?" I'd say that applies to about 95% of people, wouldn't you? I'm talking about mentality, morality and personality, so that would rule out affectionless psychopaths, murderers, and the like. And you cannot deny that many ordinary folk think that both Salmond and Sturgeon are quite excellent politicians (as far as that goes).

I don't have political heroes. I am not active in SNP or any other politics. Your accusation of me being blindly obedient and guilty of hero worship is more than matched by your obvious hatred of the SNP and, it would seem from your tone, anybody who supports them. Correct: you have not named others that you find objectionable, and that is why I believe you are especially an SNP hater (or is it only Salmond and Sturgeon? Can you/ will you name other other lying politicians that you hate? How about unionist ones in Scotland?)

You say you don't like lying politicians, and distrust them all. So why even bother engaging in discussion in that case? By simply sniping and trashing without contributing positively, you contribute nothing worthwhile.

Snarling tone? Iconoclastic would be my description.

SNP hater? Since you ask, I have no time any of the current leaders of the main parties (Con, Lib Dem, Lab UKIP, SNP) - north and south of the border.

Gordon Brown was a useless Prime Minister and Chancellor - largely responsible for the deficit and massive government and private debts. Tony Blair was no more than war-monger Bush's puppet.

It's rather bizarre that you think that those who distrust politicians should not contribute to political threads. My positive contribution is to expose their lies and deceptions.

For someone who claims not to be involved in politics, you seem to spend a lot of time espousing the SNP's agenda and defending the party's leadership.

Snarling tone? Iconoclastic would be my description.

SNP hater? Since you ask, I have no time any of the current leaders of the main parties (Con, Lib Dem, Lab UKIP, SNP) - north and south of the border.

Gordon Brown was a useless Prime Minister and Chancellor - largely responsible for the deficit and massive government and private debts. Tony Blair was no more than war-monger Bush's puppet.

It's rather bizarre that you think that those who distrust politicians should not contribute to political threads. My positive contribution is to expose their lies and deceptions.

For someone who claims not to be involved in politics, you seem to spend a lot of time espousing the SNP's agenda and defending the party's leadership.

But it cannot be right to say that on one hand you care, and on the other hand you don't.

I disagree with Jaggernauts politics too, but he is clearly a democrat.

As Churchill said, it should be 'jaw, jaw', not 'war, war'.

Speak out, argue, but the idea you can have opinions without taking responsibility at the ballot box doesn't work for me.

Your snarling tone barely deserves a response, but I'll give you one, and leave it at that, as I find you tiresome.

What don't you understand about "ordinary folk?" I'd say that applies to about 95% of people, wouldn't you? I'm talking about mentality, morality and personality, so that would rule out affectionless psychopaths, murderers, and the like. And you cannot deny that many ordinary folk think that both Salmond and Sturgeon are quite excellent politicians (as far as that goes).

Well more than half the electorate didn't think enough of them to vote through Independence

But it cannot be right to say that on one hand you care, and on the other hand you don't.

I disagree with Jaggernauts politics too, but he is clearly a democrat.

As Churchill said, it should be 'jaw, jaw', not 'war, war'.

Speak out, argue, but the idea you can have opinions without taking responsibility at the ballot box doesn't work for me.

I care about issues but don't care for politicians. There are plenty of ways of "taking responsibility" without having to vote for parties or candidates whose policies you disagree with. The great majority of Parliamentary constituencies are safe Tory or Labour seats anyway. Most voters are tribal, not rational or principled. I prefer to campaign for change via charities or pressure groups.