The General Election Thread

The Devil's Point

I know its annoying to post utube stuff, but I've seen this band a few times and have had a dram with them.

They are lovely people, but for me this is a total corruption of the name of one of the UK's finest mountains.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, see what you think.......

A professional cliché writer couldn't do any better than that!

• 2 weeks later...

Says a Nat who swallowed SNP's oil.price! Lol

Who said I swallowed the SNP's oil price?

I've never mentioned it anywhere.

Oh, did the Westminster government predict the current oil price slump? In fact did anybody, anywhere?

I take it by your insult that you are also a "Nat", but you're a Britnat, so that's alright?

Edited by Jaggernaut

Who said I swallowed the SNP's oil price?

I've never mentioned it anywhere.

Oh, did the Westminster government predict the current oil price slump? In fact did anybody, anywhere?

I take it by your insult that you are also a "Nat", but you're a Britnat, so that's alright?

No but Salmond based the economy on $120 a barrel, its now nearly a third of that with thousands of jobs being lost over here because of it and Norways reliance on the cash

The SNP's independence budgets were based on record oil prices of $110 per barrel. The current price would have wiped out all the Scottish Government's revenue - around £7 billion, equivalent to the education budget.

With no reserves, no Central Bank and fixed exchange rates (through Sterlingisation), an independent Scotland would have required a bailout. It would have been outside the EU so where would the money come from? The UK that it had just left?

The SNP's independence budgets were based on record oil prices of $110 per barrel. The current price would have wiped out all the Scottish Government's revenue - around £7 billion, equivalent to the education budget.

With no reserves, no Central Bank and fixed exchange rates (through Sterlingisation), an independent Scotland would have required a bailout. It would have been outside the EU so where would the money come from? The UK that it had just left?

We were also going to set up an oil fund, balance the budget, pay for the spending increases and tax cuts all from this "black gold", in the industry we are bracing for 2 years of this price, it will be a completely different North Sea sector and Norwegian continental shelf after that

Don't really want to wade in on this but at no point was the future of an independent scotland economy based on oil - the oil was stated as a bonus rather than a basis. Infact when the oil was taken away it still showed that we had what it took to prosper. Even the BBC (shock horror) reported on it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-23389830

• Like 1

Don't really want to wade in on this but at no point was the future of an independent scotland economy based on oil - the oil was stated as a bonus rather than a basis. Infact when the oil was taken away it still showed that we had what it took to prosper. Even the BBC (shock horror) reported on it. http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-23389830

That was published before the white paper came out

That was published before the white paper came out

but it said the exact same in the white paper, that is the thing that confuses me about people claiming things were said that were never said. It is like Rangers denying their dead and making up things that a judge said or picking and choosing small parts to suit. Everyone has different opinions on things but lies created and continued from god knows where (probably labour when the torys hung them out to dry) are just crazy to try and pass as fact.

• Like 1

but it said the exact same in the white paper, that is the thing that confuses me about people claiming things were said that were never said. It is like Rangers denying their dead and making up things that a judge said or picking and choosing small parts to suit. Everyone has different opinions on things but lies created and continued from god knows where (probably labour when the torys hung them out to dry) are just crazy to try and pass as fact.

The white paper figures never added up, in adittion with holyrood (or the SNP) moaning about the austerity measures last year,and having to cut services, courts etc as a result of "Westminster" wouldn't it be a shock if it turned out the SNP under spent the budget by £450 Million, cutting servicea and blaming westminster, yet all the time having the cash there to spend on these services

http://scottishpol.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/stash-in-attic.html?m=1

Don't really want to wade in on this but at no point was the future of an independent scotland economy based on oil - the oil was stated as a bonus rather than a basis. Infact when the oil was taken away it still showed that we had what it took to prosper. Even the BBC (shock horror) reported on it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-23389830

I think oil is quite inconsequential as far as the constitutional debate is concerned - there were as many people for and against independence when oil prices were high as when they were low. Granted, the SNP haven't been slow in the past at trumpeting the news whenever oil prices have been high, but during the referendum it tended to be other arguments that resonated with people. I certainly didn't vote Yes because I found the thought of some Aberdonian being able to afford a new 4x4 enticing.

My rhetorical question regarding oil was always who do you think is more likely to do right by Scotland when it finally does run out, a government in London or a government in Edinburgh? Ironically, after their valiant efforts to ensure that oil revenues remain under London control, the current low oil price and the likely consequential economic effects are now being used by unionist politicians to have a go at the Scottish government.

oh and if anyone wants a laugh the lib dems have promoted danny alexander to help them win votes for 2015 hahaha

Danny Alexander would do well to concentrate on winning votes in his own constituency, never mind the rest of the country!

The unionists are nationalists. British nationalists. There is still a whiff of empire about that stuff.

The SNP are nationalist in the sense of campaigning for self-determination for a country that is not yet independent. Think about that.What if you are in a nationalist movement for a country that is already independent. Now that would be dodgy.

UKIP want out of the EU but to retain a 300 year old union of nations. However, Farage, during the referendum debate, was saying if the Scots or any other constituent part ( Cornwall was cited ) wanted to leave the UK, so be it, They retain the right to self determination.

U.K. INDEPENDENCE Party

Scottish NATIONALIST Party

To me the distinction is very clear.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

The white paper figures never added up, in adittion with holyrood (or the SNP) moaning about the austerity measures last year,and having to cut services, courts etc as a result of "Westminster" wouldn't it be a shock if it turned out the SNP under spent the budget by £450 Million, cutting servicea and blaming westminster, yet all the time having the cash there to spend on these services

http://scottishpol.b...-attic.html?m=1

Don't worry about the fact that Westminster governments' figures NEVER add up, which is why we are now 1.5 TRILLION in debt, and it's getting worse. Just you continue to talk down Scotland at every opportunity. Oil fund is fine for Norway; everybody acknowledges their prudence with what they did with oil revenue (although you tried to rubbish it a few months ago). "Oil good for UK, but bad for Scotland" is the unionists' mantra, along with of course "Too wee, too poor, too stupid," which whatever way you try to argue it, is what it comes down to.

• Like 3

UKIP want out of the EU but to retain a 300 year old union of nations. However, Farage, during the referendum debate, was saying if the Scots or any other constituent part ( Cornwall was cited ) wanted to leave the UK, so be it, They retain the right to self determination. U.K. INDEPENDENCE Party Scottish NATIONALIST Party To me the distinction is very clear.

Except, that isn't their name. The party is called the Scottish National Party.

A small distinction but an important one.

Don't worry about the fact that Westminster governments' figures NEVER add up, which is why we are now 1.5 TRILLION in debt, and it's getting worse. Just you continue to talk down Scotland at every opportunity. Oil fund is fine for Norway; everybody acknowledges their prudence with what they did with oil revenue (although you tried to rubbish it a few months ago). "Oil good for UK, but bad for Scotland" is the unionists' mantra, along with of course "Too wee, too poor, too stupid," which whatever way you try to argue it, is what it comes down to.

IIRC, Norgethistle tried to argue against Scottish independence by warning that we could end up like Norway. Thank f*ck we dodged that bullet, eh?