Mcnamarra- 22 Months On

thebiglemon

I think when the compo situation surfaced it gave a lot of people a good excuse to have a right go at him, as we couldn't really slate him for taking a bigger job with a bigger salary.

That said, the compo thing was very poorly handled by DU and Jackie himself. A previous poster who said "we don't know what happened" - I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge what happened.

When he actually put a claim in for his bonus to muddy the waters, that was the real low point.

I think it's important to remember that his first season with us was for the most part very poor. The performances in the cup competitions were some of the worst I've ever seen as a Thistle fan - and the results certainly support that view. Knocked out of the League Cup by 3rd division opposition at Firhill. Scraping a draw against a junior team and then dropping out to a QOS team who were rock bottom of the 1st division at the time. Towards the end of that season you could see that the team was starting to really improve, but it was still a very forgettable season on the whole.

So bearing all that in mind, and the loyalty shown to him by the club, I think we are entitled to feel a little aggrieved at the way he's treated the club since he left.

Moulded the team that won the league, built a winning spirit throughout the club and brought an attacking style of football. Archie got the credit for crossing the line but to suggest that Archie would have been able to build a team capable of winning is just stupid. McNamara could get the best out of players, take Bannigan as an example, he hasn’t played the same since Jackie left and to all intents and purposes his career is finished. McNamara was a sad loss just a pity that Archie never got enough time to pick up some real management tips.

Jeezo, I'm all for a good wind up, but you have to make it a bit less blatant than that Sir.

I remember I was on holiday when I heard that Pressley was favourite and I thought Jackie was staying, I was absolutely gutted the next day when I heard Jackie was off. I remember just thinking that was all chances of winning the league over and was bloody raging! That 1st half of the season was the best football I've seen us play since I started goin in 1992. I can't blame him for leaving or taking Paton and Erskine, that's just what happens.Nobody really knows what happened with all the contract stuff so I wasn't one of the eejits booing or shouting 'scum scum scum'at him on the first day of the season.

Pressley was offered the job but refused when Dundee United told them that they would be fighting the £100k compensation payment due to Falkirk for release from his rolling contract.

McNamara was told the same.

I think when the compo situation surfaced it gave a lot of people a good excuse to have a right go at him, as we couldn't really slate him for taking a bigger job with a bigger salary.

That said, the compo thing was very poorly handled by DU and Jackie himself. A previous poster who said "we don't know what happened" - I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge what happened.

When he actually put a claim in for his bonus to muddy the waters, that was the real low point.

I think it's important to remember that his first season with us was for the most part very poor. The performances in the cup competitions were some of the worst I've ever seen as a Thistle fan - and the results certainly support that view. Knocked out of the League Cup by 3rd division opposition at Firhill. Scraping a draw against a junior team and then dropping out to a QOS team who were rock bottom of the 1st division at the time. Towards the end of that season you could see that the team was starting to really improve, but it was still a very forgettable season on the whole.

So bearing all that in mind, and the loyalty shown to him by the club, I think we are entitled to feel a little aggrieved at the way he's treated the club since he left.

By no means an exact science but if you want to pick on a turning point I'd plump with little doubt for mid March 2012 and the 5-0 humping we gave QoS at Palmerston. Everything clicked that day and not in a way you'd put down to being just a one off. Sean Welsh (on loan at the time) was immense that afternoon. I'd compare his subsequent full signing to be at least the equivalent of that of ATS the summer before. No matter what you could finally put into McNamara's debit column, and there's plenty, it would be disingenuous to underplay the signings of Sean and ATS.