Just In From Icy Ict

Balintore jag

What a different performance from last week. Excellent concentration from every individual player in the red and yellow. Inverness threatened about .. once... early on, but when Stevo slotted in his first goal the jags (the real jags) just took over. We played some excellent breaking football in the first half and it looked only a matter of time before we would get a second. When Stevo put away his second superbly, the confidence in the team became even better. We expected a strong fight back from ICT after half time but Stevo’s perfect cross to Fraser for the third early in the second half put an end to any hope of an ICT recovery. And shortly after that we scored from a corner. Honestly we did score from a corner! Conrad, near the back post, headed in fairly easily. For the next half hour we continued to ‘out pass’ ICT and play out the game in a completely controlled manner. Two good saves from Brill prevented a fifth but –hey- four will do fine. Gallacher had to pick the ball out of the net twice. One was offside and the second was a ‘goal’ by a drunken Caley fan who ran on to the park at a goal kick. He slotted it in quite superbly. I think Hughes will sign him as no one in their team looked likely to score. For those who don’t like Ryan Stevenson at centre forward, well today he was the right choice for the team. Well done jags and well done Archie for getting the game plan spot on. Well done each individual player for a truly focussed performance in sticking to the plan. It’s going to be a good weekend.

• Like 7

So glad I made the journey. One of those games we occasionally play where everyone played a part. Very similar side to the one we put out first game of the season against County. Similar score and a real team effort. Why I mention that game is we were enthusing about the central midfield that day and today the same trio, Bannigan, Osman & Fraser, were once again superb. Special mention for Bannigan, who I've felt hasn't been at his best for a while. Far more positive today. Involved in nearly every move.

Oh, and it's hard to believe McMillan hadn't kicked a ball for 5 weeks.

Very important also to make clear to those who did not have the good fortune to attend that this was not a poor Inverness side. All first half they attacked strongly with slick passing movements. The Thistle defence (and I include the midfield and sometimes even Ryan Stevenson in that definition) had to work really hard to keep marking players, covering space and winning tackles and headers. Seabourne was inspirational and Osman kept pushing Inverness back, but it would be wrong to single out individual players as this was the complete team performance. Huge credit to Archie and the coaching staff as well for setting up the team so perfectly to counter Inverness, but also to spring forward into attack at every opportunity. What I really liked was the speed of our attacking play,using quick short passes (and the occasional crossfielder, but no random punts) to get behind or through the Inverness defence, in contrast to recent weeks when players have checked back and killed the momentum.

At half time I do not think that there was any complacency in the Thistle support. We all thought we would be in for a tough shift in the second half. The brilliant move for Fraser's goal and then Conrad's header, sandwiching the disallowed "goal" at the other end, knocked the spirit out of Inverness, and only then did winning become more straightforward and we saw the game out well. The first 60 minutes must be the best I have ever seen a Thistle team play against such high quality opposition. There was nothing wrong with the last 30 minutes either, though by that time the opposition had wilted.

FIVE ARCHIBALDS!!!!!

Four Archibalds

Three Archibalds

Two Archibalds

And an Alan Archibald

What better gifts could a true love bring?

Thanks to the Jordanhill bus for rescuing the NW contingent in Aviemore

Twelve hours flew in quicker than the second half at half last week's game.

What about that "sparkling" windscreen on the way home.

Used Tesco's finest sparkling water to top up the windscreen washers at the ill-fated Aviemore.

Edited by joe the driver
  • Like 1

I know the whole team are being praised but very interested to hear how Higgy got on? Match sharpness returning?

Didn't see too much evidence of that yesterday. Could be a wee while till he's back firing on all cylinders. Still played well tho'

Occasionally I've heard Higgy being accused of being a bit of a maverick, playing for himself. Never subscribed to that as I believe Archie just gives him more latitude than others. Yesterday he was more restrained but rarely gave the ball away, playing good link up football. The fact he played all but the last sixth of the match supports that view. Normally a not quite up to it Higgy would've been subbed earlier.

Was there any real difference between the ICT goal that was offside and the Aberdeen goal at Firhill ?

Higgy's disallowed goal at Dingwall and the goal that stood at McDiarmid the week before?

I don't blame refs and linesmen as I think it's purely down to interpretation, which is bound to vary from official to official. My own opinion, which I know is shared by many, is, if an attacking player is in any central position in the box he's interfering with play. So in turn if he's in what used to be an offside position then he's always interfering with play. I realise that is no longer the case. I just can't understand why.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett