V. St Johnstone 17Th Jan.

thebiglemon

We're never going to be a top 6 club, ever.

I agree - again shaggy was in the paper today saying we were going for top 6 again this season - Think we need to start looking at being safe more than anything else ! We are good enough and should be going for higher in the league but something is wrong within the mix.

Edited by Pinhead

I agree - again shaggy was in the paper today saying we were going for top 6 again this season - Think we need to start looking at being safe more than anything else ! We are good enough and should be going for higher in the league but something is wrong within the mix.

What he should have said was, "Let's face it - we're a pishy wee team and we shouldn't ever have any ambition, ever. The best thing to do now is to Know Our Place and aim to scrape 10th, not 6th"

We will not go down, but lets face it, we're at our peak. We have fewer resources than the other clubs barring possibly one in the league, and we can't even get remotely near to the top six at the moment with 3 of the 5 biggest clubs in Scotland out of the picture.

Sacking the manager might affect one result or two but in the long term we are what we are.

• Like 1

Perhaps worth reserving any judgement on the current state of affairs until after the next 3 games ((Hamilton (H), Killie (A), and St. Mirren (H)).

Today was, by all accounts, a poor performance - although the inevitable trend of "if we go a goal down away from home, we lose" was at least predictable (notable exception to that "rule" being the 3-3 Hamilton away game).

As an aside - it's strange that we now seem to be developing relatively unwanted sequences of results against certain teams - we cannot beat D. United, we cannot win in Perth and we cannot win at Firhill against St. Mirren - unfortunately we do not seem to have the ability to reverse that particular trend agaist others.

• Like 1

Freezing cold waste of a journey again.

I note some who are quick to have a go at me (& others) have commented on this thread before now which means they obviously weren't at the game but let me tell you. If you'd bothered going to Mothewell think of that game except colder & you have today in a nutshell.

The fight & effort that was evident vs DU was sadly missing today.

St Johnstone have come into this game on that back of 2 defeats including vs Hamilton last time out at home & in need of a win. We gave them it easily.

This bullshit about not expecting a win as we've only won once there is an excuse that if the management team came out with then we should all be on their back so please don't.

Second goal especially a joke. In fact the whole second half a joke. Went 3 at the back but the players looked clueless as to what it was they were supposed to be doing. As a result, we went out with a whimper.

This gets me. When other teams losing to us, they change tactics & it seems to be a tide flowing towards our goal. We on the other hand just seem to drown!

St Mirren picked up 3 points on us today & our positive GD now gone. Today's positive?

Hamilton next up. A team lacking in confidence having lost 2 on the spin. With Hendrie on the verge of a big money move Surely it's a game we shouldn't be losing or even drawing?

• Like 1

Our problem today, and most of the season, was Doolan. He hasn't performed at all and every thing that goes near him loses us possession. Big difference when Eccleston came on.

Can't be arsed talking about that display but easiest 3 points they will get all year.

Special note to Strvenson who was an absolute stand out as well as Seaborne. No one else was up to it apart from McDaid who didn't do much wrong and zips around.

O'Donnell awful.

Right, lets not mess about, that was absolutely woeful today. As has been said it was near enough a carbon copy of the Motherwell game. We seem completely ineffectual against teams that sit in a bit. Constantly shifting the ball nicely from side to side without any real hope of an end product. First goal from them was lucky, the second looked like a free header. Lack of options at full back brutally exposed. Do you honestly think O'Donnell wasn't affected by talk of a transfer? Very poor performance. Keenan was a lot better to be fair, Balatoni a bit ropey, time for Frans to come back in. Seaborne was excellent as always, fantastic signing. In the middle Bannigan and Osman worked hard but constantly slowed the pace right down. Lawless anonymous Stevenson was good again, Mcdaid showed some decent flashes. Doolan completely ineffectual. Liked what I saw of Eccelston when he came on, predictable scapegoating from some fans when he missed the one on one which was an excellent bit of defending. Less said about Higgy the better, a shadow of the player from last season, needs a few big performances soon.

I in no way want the manager out but I'm just frustrated at forking out a healthy amount to watch that performance. Hopefully bring a few in over the next two weeks. Big three games coming up, need to win at least two of them.

• Like 1

Freezing cold waste of a journey again.

I note some who are quick to have a go at me (& others) have commented on this thread before now which means they obviously weren't at the game but let me tell you. If you'd bothered going to Mothewell think of that game except colder & you have today in a nutshell.

The fight & effort that was evident vs DU was sadly missing today.

St Johnstone have come into this game on that back of 2 defeats including vs Hamilton last time out at home & in need of a win. We gave them it easily.

This bullshit about not expecting a win as we've only won once there is an excuse that if the management team came out with then we should all be on their back so please don't.

Second goal especially a joke. In fact the whole second half a joke. Went 3 at the back but the players looked clueless as to what it was they were supposed to be doing. As a result, we went out with a whimper.

This gets me. When other teams losing to us, they change tactics & it seems to be a tide flowing towards our goal. We on the other hand just seem to drown!

St Mirren picked up 3 points on us today & our positive GD now gone. Today's positive?

Hamilton next up. A team lacking in confidence having lost 2 on the spin. With Hendrie on the verge of a big money move Surely it's a game we shouldn't be losing or even drawing?

pains me to say, but disagree with any of that, i can't :(

eta ..... ditto for mr brents post

Edited by yoda-jag

A fairly consistent theme to today's match.

1. Majority of possession.

2. Very few chances created or shots on goal.

3. Slack defending.

At Least we have point 1. Point 2 we'll struggle to resolve unless Higgy hits some form (which he showed glimpses of when he came on today) or we freshen it up with a signing or two. Point 3 we need Frans and Seabourne both fit for the run in. Very capable of achieving comfortable safety in the bottom six but equally very capable of getting sucked into playoff scrap if not carefull.

Edited by Moose

What he should have said was, "Let's face it - we're a pishy wee team and we shouldn't ever have any ambition, ever. The best thing to do now is to Know Our Place and aim to scrape 10th, not 6th"

No but if every week they are going to talk the talk about how good a team they are and how they can make top 6 then they need to start walking the walk ! Some have false belief in their abilities..

Well that was pretty poor! I was in among their support as I hate sitting behind the goal. And I think I saw the development of play (or lack of it)

We continue to be soooo bad when we get into the last third of the field. We get into a position to do something with the ball and we would then be nearly as well to pass it back to their goalie. Couple of examples in the first half - O'Donnell coming in and hitting it away over the bar when in a decent position to do more, particularly from the angle he was at. Then Keenan hitting a lovely ball through the channel for Lawless that ran for a bye kick. Usain Bolt would not have got to it.

Then in the second half the same player big cross to the back stick where there were precisely no Jags players. And how

often do we hit the first player when we cross it? And then there are wee "clever" flicks to somebody surrounded by the opposition and only two yards away. Other teams seem to have the ability to hang on to the ball till they see a pass.

The pitch was AWFUL but they coped with it better than us.

Maybe we just don't have the players. I thought Balatoni was good as well as Seabourne and young McDaid will make a player.....

We have a long way to go

• Like 1