Thistle V Accies

Mediocre Pundit

That's more like it thistle!!

played really well last night and it could have been 7 or 8! but I will settle for 5...you could be critical of Accies but I think their performance levels were hampered by how good we were.

Doolan obviously man of the match but I thought Stevie Lawless was immense - good touch / quick & direct and played his part in a few goals and unlucky himself not to get one, pleased for SOD's part in Doolan's header too - I am often critical of his delivery but that ball in was quality...

Our back line is so much more solid when it is Frans & Seabo together, the big Belgian had a couple of poor touches early on but other than that he strolls through games....great to see Welsh step back in too even if he took a knock - hope it is a minor one and finally Higgy looked in the mood too, always good to see...that front four being direct and doing things at pace with Fraser / Banzo / Welsh / Abdul in there behind is why we should be pushing top 6 from now until the split...also well done to Christie - I am not his biggest fan but he has done a shift at left back last night and is a player we should definitely try and keep due to his work rate for the team and versatility he offers us...

Great stuff and after Saturday exactly why I love being a Jagsman... didn't even notice the cold last night!

I enjoyed that.

Won't go through the team as everyone played brilliantly and they all deserve the plaudits. Will say that it looks like we've been working in training. Lots more cross-field passing from guys who normally don't attempt that sort of thing. Pressing high up the park with some purpose and hunting the ball down in packs. It all worked last night.

Had a feeling that we were going to hand out a bit of hiding last night and so it proved; I think a result like that has been a long time coming. Once we settled into the game, we were dominant and Hamilton rarely threatened which was a combination of their poor performance and our quick closing down.

It was my first time seeing Frans in live action and I can't say that I was as impressed as some others appear to be; I think the statistic about not conceding a goal from open play with him in the team is slightly blinding. I thought he was very shaky in the first half and was dragged out of position far too easily but improved in the second half although he didn't have a great deal to do. At times, he looked like a defender who had only ever been told to man-mark which is all good and well if everybody else is playing the same way; but he was closing areas out wide, particularly on the right side, when SOD was still half way up the pitch and unable to fill in. He's most likely short of match fitness and I'm hopeful that the aforementioned things can be attributed to rustiness but I certainly didn't see the colossus that others did.

Perhaps the reason Frans' performance looked a bit hesitant to me was because of the sheer excellence of his defensive partner. Seaborne was utterly dominant on the ground and in the air, pinged cross-field passes for most of the night and even waltzed past a couple of Hamilton players at one point which was reminiscent of our assistant manager in his heyday. Archie deserves a lot of credit for bringing Seaborne to Firhill; I'm not sure whether he has the pace to play at a higher level but I reckon a certain ex-manager of ours in the east coast would love to have him.

I reckon we might have just stumbled across a decent full-back in Christie. It'll take a bit of work on the defensive side of his game but if there's anybody who is going to put in the effort, it's Christie. He's a manager's dream, does exactly what is asked of him with minimum fuss and is a better player than some give him credit for. Not sure whether he's the answer to our left-back issue but I could certainly see him replacing SOD on the other side, should he leave in the summer as expected.

Craigen did a fine job in a deeper role and Osman was his usual effective self, breaking up play before going off with a slight knock. Higginbotham threatened to perform at times but still looks a bit short of match fitness; hopeful that he'll be coming into full fitness for the final third of the season and can perhaps rediscover the excellent form of last year.

In any other match, Lawless would have been the Man of the Match by a distance in my opinion; he was fantastic. Tricky, elusive, dangerous on the ball - all the things that marked him out as one of our best players in the promotion season. He does a great job of getting his body between his marker and the ball and this compensates for his lack in stature. Stevenson continued his recent good form but will be disappointed not to have scored with the chance in the second half; it came back to him at an awkward height but he really should have buried it.

Final word to the man of the moment. Leaving last night's performance to one side, I'm utterly astounded that anyone can even begin to suggest that Doolan isn't worthy of his place in the team. He is tremendously hard-working and has one of the best first touches of any Thistle player I've seen; he's agile, quick off his mark, tactically aware, links play well, a clinical finisher and good in the air. To find a player as well rounded as Dools would cost far, far, far more than we could ever afford. I sincerely hope to see him at Firhill for many years to come.

Had a feeling that we were going to hand out a bit of hiding last night and so it proved; I think a result like that has been a long time coming. Once we settled into the game, we were dominant and Hamilton rarely threatened which was a combination of their poor performance and our quick closing down.

It was my first time seeing Frans in live action and I can't say that I was as impressed as some others appear to be; I think the statistic about not conceding a goal from open play with him in the team is slightly blinding. I thought he was very shaky in the first half and was dragged out of position far too easily but improved in the second half although he didn't have a great deal to do. At times, he looked like a defender who had only ever been told to man-mark which is all good and well if everybody else is playing the same way; but he was closing areas out wide, particularly on the right side, when SOD was still half way up the pitch and unable to fill in. He's most likely short of match fitness and I'm hopeful that the aforementioned things can be attributed to rustiness but I certainly didn't see the colossus that others did.

Perhaps the reason Frans' performance looked a bit hesitant to me was because of the sheer excellence of his defensive partner. Seaborne was utterly dominant on the ground and in the air, pinged cross-field passes for most of the night and even waltzed past a couple of Hamilton players at one point which was reminiscent of our assistant manager in his heyday. Archie deserves a lot of credit for bringing Seaborne to Firhill; I'm not sure whether he has the pace to play at a higher level but I reckon a certain ex-manager of ours in the east coast would love to have him.

I reckon we might have just stumbled across a decent full-back in Christie. It'll take a bit of work on the defensive side of his game but if there's anybody who is going to put in the effort, it's Christie. He's a manager's dream, does exactly what is asked of him with minimum fuss and is a better player than some give him credit for. Not sure whether he's the answer to our left-back issue but I could certainly see him replacing SOD on the other side, should he leave in the summer as expected.

Craigen did a fine job in a deeper role and Osman was his usual effective self, breaking up play before going off with a slight knock. Higginbotham threatened to perform at times but still looks a bit short of match fitness; hopeful that he'll be coming into full fitness for the final third of the season and can perhaps rediscover the excellent form of last year.

In any other match, Lawless would have been the Man of the Match by a distance in my opinion; he was fantastic. Tricky, elusive, dangerous on the ball - all the things that marked him out as one of our best players in the promotion season. He does a great job of getting his body between his marker and the ball and this compensates for his lack in stature. Stevenson continued his recent good form but will be disappointed not to have scored with the chance in the second half; it came back to him at an awkward height but he really should have buried it.

Final word to the man of the moment. Leaving last night's performance to one side, I'm utterly astounded that anyone can even begin to suggest that Doolan isn't worthy of his place in the team. He is tremendously hard-working and has one of the best first touches of any Thistle player I've seen; he's agile, quick off his mark, tactically aware, links play well, a clinical finisher and good in the air. To find a player as well rounded as Dools would cost far, far, far more than we could ever afford. I sincerely hope to see him at Firhill for many years to come.

Doolan is such a team player too...couple of occasions Stevenson was out of position last night after a move broke down and Doolan noticed and stepped in to cover for him...

Seen Frans in every game he has played for us, he was a bit rusty early last night especially 1st touch at times but he has been out for a bit so excusable - he is a quality player of that there is no doubt and the perfect partner for Seabo....so glad we have extended the deal we have with him...him and Seabo are two of the best centre halves we've had in ages.

Hopefully a wee run of form would help convince out of contract players to stay and convince the board to offer slightly better deals

Eaxactly what I was thinking, Higgy was loving it last night. Also think it will do no harm at all for last minute transfers, a win on Saturday will show players of our potential.

So, that's Doolan 5 years at the club, his only professional club.

28 years of age and just about to equal Jimmy Bone's goal tally.

Is he out of contract in the summer, he signed a two year deal in May '13.

Worth remembering, when he joined Thistle he was a Youth Coach for Kilmarnock, so what does the future hold, Dools?

ideal scenario, signs a 3 year deal and does his coaching badges, so that if and when the time comes, we have a ready made replacement to step into the dug out.

• Like 1

So, that's Doolan 5 years at the club, his only professional club.

28 years of age and just about to equal Jimmy Bone's goal tally.

Is he out of contract in the summer, he signed a two year deal in May '13.

Worth remembering, when he joined Thistle he was a Youth Coach for Kilmarnock, so what does the future hold, Dools?

ideal scenario, signs a 3 year deal and does his coaching badges, so that if and when the time comes, we have a ready made replacement to step into the dug out.

He signed an extension last year, I'm sure. Pretty certain he's contracted until end of next season. Agree that we should be doing everything in our power to offer him a package that will keep him at the club for the foreseeable future.

Interesting that although we've a few worries over keeping some of our players, we have a good spine for next year: Seabourne, Frans, Bannigan and Fraser, Stevenson and Doolan.

I reckon too that several will not be difficult to deal with: Craigen, Elliot,Fox, Balatoni and maybe even Lawless. Main worries are Osman and Higginbotham. I reckon where we end up in the table at the end of the season will affect whether they stay or not. need to make sure we sign up our most promising youngsters too.

Doolan is such a team player too...couple of occasions Stevenson was out of position last night after a move broke down and Doolan noticed and stepped in to cover for him...

Seen Frans in every game he has played for us, he was a bit rusty early last night especially 1st touch at times but he has been out for a bit so excusable - he is a quality player of that there is no doubt and the perfect partner for Seabo....so glad we have extended the deal we have with him...him and Seabo are two of the best centre halves we've had in ages.

I'd actually argue that we have had a better centre back pairing on our bench for the past two years :P

The BBC is reporting that Canning has got the Accies job.

"Martin Canning will be officially named as the new manager of Hamilton Academical on Friday.

The 33-year-old defender was made interim player-coach following Alex Neil's departure to Norwich City.

And he has overseen three consecutive defeats, with Accies losing 5-0 at Partick Thistle on Wednesday.

Dumbarton assistant manager Guillaume Beuzelin, a former midfielder with Hibernian, is being brought in as part of the new coaching team."

Osman has been one of our best players this year,

Higgy has massively under performed, would be no where near the top 5 performers this year... I'm sorry but 3 good months last season doesn't make you irreplaceable!

Get Osman signed up ASAP!

If we go on a a run and are confident enough we are going to be upper half off bottom 6 or pushing to 6 we should up our wages n get our players tied down 2 or 3 players and our current best team should push dundee united. Inverness and at Johnstone!!

We really struggled to create anything going forward when Higgy was injured or suspended.

Even if he's only good for 6 months if I could keep one then it would be Higgy.

Fair enough I agree on his day he can change a game. But has he had many if any of those days this year?

Going by stats and by being at games, Lawless has been the most creative player!

Osman has been consistent all year...Surely that deserves a contract over our best player (last year)