All For The Good Of Scottish Football

JAGSMAN1968

Actually quite looking forward to it.

Celtic putting the H... to the sword about 8-0 then seeing the Rangers supporters swarming like angry wasps at Ibrox front door. Or Rangers beating Celtic and seeing Ronny D squirming and trying to win the Quadruplre, triple, double or whatever.

Theres a lot more drama than the football match itself. Magic entertainment for Jags fans after a great Friday night

Weather has killed it for me as i should be in Elgin on Sunday with Thistle's 15's

The 8hr roundtrip with the fun of driving the homeward journey in the dark due to the 3pm ko still made it seem a much more enjoyable experience than witnessing what will happen at Hampden on Sunday.

Elgin game not called off yet but the forecast isn't good right up until Sunday so it will probably be a much hated shopping centre trip with the good lady for me.which will still be better than watching events unfold at Hampden. :D

Kevin McKenna in a vomit inducing interview on Scotland tonight.

He just said it 's exaggerated what happens in the aftermath .

Kevin doesn't understand why other fans hate the old firm, say we're all jealous.Utter pr1ck, everything thats wrong with Scottish Journalism wrapped up in a huge fat ******

You'd never know the media depend on Celtic and Sevco for a living would you. The infantile coverage is nauseating as is the absence of any critical assessment of the impact of the inevitable sectarianism. For example, the 'Daily Ranger' has used the supposed ignorance of 'rookie cops' as an excuse to print the words of some perenial favourites. One has to assume that the fore mentioned rookie cops are exclusively hired in an alternate reality to be complete unaware of what constitutes sectarian singing. The latter is a hoary old chestnut,dragged out on numerous occasions by usually, but by no means exclusively exclusively apologists for Sevco.

I wonder if anyone is seriously hurt or God-forbid killed as a result of what is after all, only a football match will our Scottish media bravely take responsibility for heightening tension?

I won't be holding my breath.

Dunno what you're all grumping about. There has been much call for a return of the home nations championship over the years and here we have it in one tidy novelty fixture. Great Britain v Ireland.

Scottish football is an entirely different concern all together. Leave them to it and concentrate on our own affairs I say.

F.T.O.F!!!

:fan:

• Like 1

Christ the media are milking this game for far more than it's worth. To be brutally it's bloody embaresing!

princess leia even commented on it to me this morning. according to her, it appears between every second programme on bbcone and bbctwo, there is a long advert for the game on sunday. even she knows and says that what the bbc are saying in their promo advert (words like "return") is inaccurate and lies. as she said, bbc scotland is funded by the public, thats all of the public (not just neds, thugs and bigots), yet looking at their promo adverts between programmes she's seen in the past seven days, she says there is only one programme bbc scotland are interested in promoting or talking about. she's not a happy princess!

Christ the media are milking this game for far more than it's worth. To be brutally it's bloody embaresing!

But here you have the answer to the question. Football doesn't need them but the media do. I mean how many column inches and hour do they devote to them even when there's nothing new to say? They have missed - agonised more like - not having their "Old Firm" game to go on about so now they have one they are going berserk. And you can be sure they don't care if they stir things up enough to cause trouble because that'll give them another "OF" story to go with. I haven't followed it much, mind you, but even my very limited scanning has noted questions posed to deliberately get an answer that will noise the other side up.

There is to be a feature on Radio 5 tonight at 8.30. They are calling the game 'The return of the crown jewel of Scottish football". I expect it to be BBC journalism at it's very worst.

Hmmmm since "crown jewels" is a well-known euphemism surely that is them being honest for once?

Its all about anger management.

In southern Europe, Italy for example, people will shout and bawl at each other then kiss and hug afterwards. The dour Glaswegian tendancy to sit and nurse our wrath over a bottle of whisky, just to keep it warm, ends up exploding badly at times. We do not articulate our emotions well, and anger gets bottled up.

Everyone knows half the city's anger is going to explode if they go a few goals down, which they likely will. Hence the fascination. Everyone will tune in to see carnage, and will be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

I'd recommend Jim Murphy's book, "The 10 Football Matches that Changed the World" for a good take on this, and also as a good read in general. I never knew about Pat Nevin's stand against racism at Chelsea in the eighties, or about Harlarnd and Wolf bringing the orange element from Ulster to work in their Clyde shipyard (the origins of the sectarian Rangers that panned out). Really interesting stuff.

Think it will go 3 0 Celtic. Utd v Dons is harder to call, but I fancy Utd to nick it 2 1.

Don't remember watching the 1980 cup final on the telly (I was only 5) so looking forward to the re-enactment

I remember it well. 10th May 1980 and I was out in town that night with a few friends. Was not a pleasant experience. Battles all over the city. Can see a repeat tonight as I expect a heavy defeat for Sevco. Be interesting to see the media's reaction tomorrow if someone loses their life today. Expect a few "Crown Jewels"to be booted severely today/tonight!

But here you have the answer to the question. Football doesn't need them but the media do. I mean how many column inches and hour do they devote to them even when there's nothing new to say? They have missed - agonised more like - not having their "Old Firm" game to go on about so now they have one they are going berserk. And you can be sure they don't care if they stir things up enough to cause trouble because that'll give them another "OF" story to go with. I haven't followed it much, mind you, but even my very limited scanning has noted questions posed to deliberately get an answer that will noise the other side up.

Remember going to Hampden for the cup final a couple of years after that. Rangers v Dundee Utd when Redford missed the last minute penalty.

Every single piece of glass on the train got taken out between Central and Mount Florida.

Also remember being genuinely scared getting pretty much carried out of Scotland v England at one of the last really big crowds. Must of gone down fifty steps without my feet getting near the ground.

In many ways, as Lord Taylor found, it was all wrong. But the real reason people don't go anymore is that that excitement has gone.

It used to mental, and that was the point...........

• Like 1

scumbags.

but no different from the sevconians who smashed bus windows of hearts supporters buses with fans inside them just a few weeks ago.

two cheeks of the same dead shitey arse.

Indeed. There were probably causualties in those ones too, just never ended up on the news.

It really is pathetic. There has been violence in my close the last couple of nights, and it really isn't good.

If I didn't know my downstairs neighbour better, I'd of phoned the domestic violence line on Sunday night. What a row was going on, and I know it was fuelled by the result and alcohol. I know he'd no lift a finger to her, but the anger is ugly.

The only way to deal with violence and sectarianism is to deduct points or kick them out of competitions. All the Ugly Sisters get (and other clubs with thuggish and racist "fans") are paltry fines. The blame lies with the SFA, UEFA and FIFA who are unwilling to punish them severely. Change begins at the top but football suffers from weak, inept and (at times) corrupt leadership.