Can I Be The First To Say.....

La Scimmia Rossa

I think we're all hopeful lyle can pick up where he left off....

But as a matter of fact Archie signed eccleston nit too mention Baird do let's not pretend his success rate is better than average

Can't argue with that. When you look at those 3 signings in isolation it doesn't look too good for Archie. Throw in Kerr and I think we can conclude Archie is virtually clueless when it comes to picking a player!

Can't argue with that. When you look at those 3 signings in isolation it doesn't look too good for Archie. Throw in Kerr and I think we can conclude Archie is virtually clueless when it comes to picking a player!

That's unfair. There have been a few poor signings, including Piccolo. But they are balanced by good signings like Higginbotham, Gallacher, Fraser, Osman, Frans and Seaborne. Our signings this season have, with a couple of exceptions, been as good as or better than last season's.

The key is to sign players who have played at our level or higher, i.e. League One. Ideally, the manager should have the chance to scout and/or assess players on trial. Hopefully, the new scouting system at Thistle Weir will help the management team identify a few gems.

There have been poor signings. Anyone want to argue that they haven't been dealt with swiftly? Ruthlessly? They have all been moved on by the next transfer window. That's the sign of a good manager.

The critics are now left scrabbling around. Their main arguments in tatters.The fact is we are now a much stronger squad than at any time since we were promoted. We are in a better league position and one game away from the last eight of the cup.

So, as i said. STFU.

There have been poor signings. Anyone want to argue that they haven't been dealt with swiftly? Ruthlessly? They have all been moved on by the next transfer window. That's the sign of a good manager.

The critics are now left scrabbling around. Their main arguments in tatters.The fact is we are now a much stronger squad than at any time since we were promoted. We are in a better league position and one game away from the last eight of the cup.

So, as i said. STFU.

This a forum where posters are entitled to express their opinions, even poor or misinformed ones. What gives you the right to tell anyone to "STFU"? You are not a moderator, just a mouthpiece for vested interests who want shut down debate on here. Your authoritarian tone is nauseating. So why don't you, to use your own terminology, GTF?

Edited by kni
  • Like 3

I assume that is tongue in cheek. You can't name 3 or 4 flops and yes they have been flops, with out mentioning around 10 excellent signings that the manager has brought in.

It's pretty simple. I'm a fan giving my opinion. My opinion is that you and your fellow critics should STFU and give the rest of us peace. Your line of argument has been well and truly debunked. What's left for you to argue about? Archie standing with his arms folded on the touchline is a sign he lacks passion? Or that he should wear a suit because it will give him more authority?

Vested interests? What utter drivel is this? No conspiracy here. Just stating the obvious. You are out of your depth.

It's pretty simple. I'm a fan giving my opinion. My opinion is that you and your fellow critics should STFU and give the rest of us peace. Your line of argument has been well and truly debunked. What's left for you to argue about? Archie standing with his arms folded on the touchline is a sign he lacks passion? Or that he should wear a suit because it will give him more authority?

Vested interests? What utter drivel is this? No conspiracy here. Just stating the obvious. You are out of your depth.

That has to be on of the most stupid posts on here for a long time. Is not every fan a fan giving opinion or is just those fans that you want to listen to who or have the same opinion as yourself. Is Archie above reproach of course not...was last Fridays game one of the worst that you have seen at Firhill for a long time of course it was....was the manager devoid of ideas from half time onwards was he devoid of getting the players to change tactics to break St Mirren down it looked to me like he was. To some on here Lyle Taylor is THE second coming and I hope he is but once again we have a loan signing coming in who will most probably go elswhere at the end of the season as someone will offer hime more money as happened the last time.

I would have a lot more confidence in Archie if he had sorted the Left back situation long before now and realised that a striker who can score scores on a regular basis and an attacking midfielder who goes beyond the striker is what this team has been crying out for at times during this season.

He has got the team at times playing some of the best football I have seen at Firhill for a long time that has to be achieved on a more regular basis consistency is an issue and if we had been able to achieve wins on the bounce then we would really be challenging for a top 6 place. No 2 wins in a row in the league is not exactly pass marks no matter how you gloss it up.

I always go to support the jags and with passion hope they win every week but I have an opinion and sorry if that differs with you. I dont like some of the posts on here and yes do believe that some people are wired to the moon but I make no apologies you are deluded with your continuous rant against anybody who posts Anti Archie Lyle Taylor is not the Messiah however he is not a bad striker and hopefully will score a few goals that will keep us in this league. This thread contributes little to reasoned debate

• Like 2

So, as i said. STFU.

So now that we have a stronger squad. We can expect results & performances to improve?

& if they don't does that mean those who have been critics of the manager are correct?

Big statement to make.

Lyle Taylor, very good signing but if you remember last season he started off well & then was benched in favour of Doolan again.

I'd also add that come the end of the season it's likely we'll need that new striker as can't see Taylor coming up permanently. Though to be fair, it's hard to get permanent in this window without transfer fees.

Puts pressure on the manager to eventually get it right in the Sunmer when he's had as many misses as hits in his transfer dealings.

So. In this window we've lost Muirhead, Ecclestone, Carroll & likely McMillan. In their place we've got the young boy from Rangers, Booth from Hibs & Taylor.

Big statement to say a stronger squad imo. Time will tell though.

Look forward to LSR telling us he was right at the end of the season. Had to get a prediction right sooner than later!

the manager...he's had as many misses as hits in his transfer dealings.

Let's look a little closer at that...

Jordan McMillan - hit

Andy Dowie - hit

Paul Gallacher - hit

John Baird - miss

Mark Kerr - miss

Henoc Mukendi - miss

Gabriel Piccolo - miss

Isaac Osbourne - hit (when fit)

Kallum Higginbotham - hit

Gary Fraser - hit

Declan McDaid - jury's out

Simon Colina - miss

Chris Erskine - hit

Lee Mair - hit

Lyle Taylor - hit

Prince Buaben - hit

Ryan Stevenson - hit (eventually)

Abdul Osman - hit

Dan Seaborne - hit

Ben Richards-Everton - jury's out

Nathan Eccleston - miss

Jake Carroll - miss

Frederic Frans - hit

Callum Booth - jury's out

Ryan Finnie - jury's out

I'd say the pendulum is firmly swinging towards the 'hit' camp - have I missed anyone? You'll notice that the biggest batch of 'misses' came during his first transfer window as a Premier League manager, which suggests to me that he's learning.

I do agree that expectations attached to recent signings mean there's more pressure on the team to deliver a more consistent run of results. Archie will be bearing the burden of some of that pressure, too.

Edited by Dark Passenger
  • Like 3

It's pretty simple. I'm a fan giving my opinion. My opinion is that you and your fellow critics should STFU and give the rest of us peace. Your line of argument has been well and truly debunked. What's left for you to argue about? Archie standing with his arms folded on the touchline is a sign he lacks passion? Or that he should wear a suit because it will give him more authority? Vested interests? What utter drivel is this? No conspiracy here. Just stating the obvious. You are out of your depth.

What line of argument has been debunked? Doubts that Eccleston and Carroll were not as good as ATS and Taylor as you and Dark Passenger claimed at the end of August?

When have I criticised the manager stance on the touchline, suggested that he lacks passion or stated that he should wear a suit? Please provide links to the relevant threads. If you can't - stop trolling, give us peace and STFU!!

Excuse me, but I don't think I ever claimed Carroll was as good as Sinclair. As I said last night, I put a positive slant on Eccleston's signing (and I admit I got that wrong), but then I'm always prepared to give a player the benefit of the doubt, unlike some. Nor would I take twisted satisfaction in a failed signing.

I'll make it easier for you those of you who are struggling with the concept of what improvement means.

Are we in a better League position than this time last year? Yes

Have we scored more goals? Yes

Have we let in less goals? Yes

Are we further forward in the Scottish Cup? Yes

Did we progress further in the League Cup ? Yes

Do we have a stronger squad than this time last year? Yes

Are we giving more younger players a chance? Yes

Happy to move on now. :head_ball::happy2::fan:

• Like 4

Every transfer window that Archie has overseen as Jags manager has always left the squad in a stronger position.

Some good points made in this thread, but this is the best of them.

It's a slow trajectory at times, but our squad is definitely improving, and has with every window.

^ I'm not taking twisted satisfaction in a failed signing and give all signings the benefit of the doubt. I'm taking exception to Red Monkey's false accusations and his repeated attempts to stifle debate. He likes to dish out criticism but can't take it. It's a bullying, sociopathic mentality that is deeply unpleasant.

Anyway, can anyone remember when they had to get a fifth place on Juke Box Jury because the Rolling Stones were guests?

Re Young Declan. I don't think the "jury out" should really apply in his case. He's proved himself albeit to a lesser extent in so much that the U20s could afford to send out other players on loan. That would've been more difficult had McDaid and a few others not been performing well. Besides even if he never improves, he's more or less paid his way already. Mukendi was an irrelevance and not taking him would be akin to turning down a free bet, even if it was only on an outsider.

Feel the only way you can really judge the manager's signing success is in a slightly less arbitrary way. I'd do it more from the way he's used his budget. Even then it requires sheer guesswork to know who's costing us what. As said I'd discard Mukendi from the equation plus anyone primarily introduced at U20 level.

The big misses then were Gabriel, Baird & Kerr. Carroll being a loanee an obvious miss as well tho', given he wasn't an experienced pro, we don't really know if he was costing us much. Contrary to that I did hear that Bauben's loan didn't come at all cheap. I thought his benefit to us was marginal so I may have to disagree with DP on this instance.

^ I'm not taking twisted satisfaction in a failed signing and give all signings the benefit of the doubt. I'm taking exception to Red Monkey's false accusations and his repeated attempts to stifle debate. He likes to dish out criticism but can't take it. It's a bullying, sociopathic mentality that is deeply unpleasant.

Debate's at least two way street and I do mind you not replying many a time. To Willjag in particular. To be fair I doubt any of us felt stifled.

Apologies in advance if I've got that all wrong.

I've been saying for ages, our reliance on just one striker was the reason we couldn't push further up. Having Taylor here will also push on Doolan who had some of his best form with us when he had Taylor to contend with. I hope Archie isn't nostalgic and both players go directly head to head and if one isn't playing well they get subbed after 50 minutes.

St Mirren and ICT have lost arguably their best players in this window. Kilmarnock have also lost one of their best and most promising. I think we've done quite well to not lose anyone, and add a couple of guys that have already proved they can play at this level.

Let's look a little closer at that...

Jordan McMillan - hit

Andy Dowie - hit

Paul Gallacher - hit

John Baird - miss

Mark Kerr - miss

Henoc Mukendi - miss

Gabriel Piccolo - miss

Isaac Osbourne - hit (when fit)

Kallum Higginbotham - hit

Gary Fraser - hit

Declan McDaid - jury's out

Simon Colina - miss

Chris Erskine - hit

Lee Mair - hit

Lyle Taylor - hit

Prince Buaben - hit

Ryan Stevenson - hit (eventually)

Abdul Osman - hit

Dan Seaborne - hit

Ben Richards-Everton - jury's out

Nathan Eccleston - miss

Jake Carroll - miss

Frederic Frans - hit

Callum Booth - jury's out

Ryan Finnie - jury's out

Sorry. Can't agree re Bauben being a hit Dark Pissinger.

Not sure I'd disagree re any of the others, so out of 25 signings there's 13 hits. But let's be generous & say he's got a 50% success rate.

Not sure a club like PTFC can afford a 50% success rate especially when it looks possible we may need to replace 50% of the team next season.

I don't know if that's the general feeling in the Directors Box Dark Pissinger? You'd know better than most of us so pray tell...

Notice that's 2 posts without inverted commas. You've never put me right on it & don't want you to become anymore paranoid!!

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy