Can I Be The First To Say.....

La Scimmia Rossa

I assume that is tongue in cheek. You can't name 3 or 4 flops and yes they have been flops, with out mentioning around 10 excellent signings that the manager has brought in.

This was precisely the point I was making (possibly too subtlely although I hadn't thought so). The post I quoted quoted two flops in isolation and made an inference which seemed to me grossly unfair.

• Like 1

^ I'm not taking twisted satisfaction in a failed signing and give all signings the benefit of the doubt. I'm taking exception to Red Monkey's false accusations and his repeated attempts to stifle debate. He likes to dish out criticism but can't take it. It's a bullying, sociopathic mentality that is deeply unpleasant.

:clapping:

Sorry. Can't agree re Bauben being a hit Dark Pissinger.

Not sure I'd disagree re any of the others, so out of 25 signings there's 13 hits. But let's be generous & say he's got a 50% success rate.

Not sure a club like PTFC can afford a 50% success rate especially when it looks possible we may need to replace 50% of the team next season.

I don't know if that's the general feeling in the Directors Box Dark Pissinger? You'd know better than most of us so pray tell...

Notice that's 2 posts without inverted commas. You've never put me right on it & don't want you to become anymore paranoid!!

Poor use of statistics here. Awarding "a 50% success rate" assumes that the "jury still out" players will be failures. It also ignores the fact that some of the misses were largely irrelevent punts (Mukendi, Colina). And it doesn't take into account that the success rate appears to show an improving trend over time (the likes of Baird, Kerr and Piccolo were brought in during Archie's first ever transfer window as a manager).

Incidently, what sort of hit rate do you think is acceptable (if you're including freebies like Mukendi and punts on youth such as Colina)? Alex Ferguson signed a fair few turkeys for Man Utd- no-one is going to be right all the time.

• Like 1

As I said Archie's signing success rate is average ..... As probably most mangers are but let's not pretend it's otherwise

I also remember Lyle being subbed by Doolan as well as he wasn't doing it

So keys hope we can turn round Friday's abysmal performance

I would say that an over 50% success rate (even going by BGM's assessment) is above average, particulalry considering the budgetry constraints. It would be interesting to see similar lists for other managers.

Let's look a little closer at that...

Jordan McMillan - hit

Andy Dowie - hit

Paul Gallacher - hit

John Baird - miss

Mark Kerr - miss

Henoc Mukendi - miss

Gabriel Piccolo - miss

Isaac Osbourne - hit (when fit)

Kallum Higginbotham - hit

Gary Fraser - hit

Declan McDaid - jury's out

Simon Colina - miss

Chris Erskine - hit

Lee Mair - hit

Lyle Taylor - hit

Prince Buaben - hit

Ryan Stevenson - hit (eventually)

Abdul Osman - hit

Dan Seaborne - hit

Ben Richards-Everton - jury's out

Nathan Eccleston - miss

Jake Carroll - miss

Frederic Frans - hit

Callum Booth - jury's out

Ryan Finnie - jury's out

Think I have to query some peoples maths here.

25 Players in

14 Successes

7 Misses

4 haven't played enough to decide due to age, just joined or been on loan.

Maybe my maths teacher was a diddy but I don't see that as being around a 50 % success rate or being average!!

• Like 1

It's pretty simple. I'm a fan giving my opinion. My opinion is that you and your fellow critics should STFU and give the rest of us peace. Your line of argument has been well and truly debunked. What's left for you to argue about? Archie standing with his arms folded on the touchline is a sign he lacks passion? Or that he should wear a suit because it will give him more authority?

Vested interests? What utter drivel is this? No conspiracy here. Just stating the obvious. You are out of your depth.

That has to be on of the most stupid posts on here for a long time. Is not every fan a fan giving opinion or is just those fans that you want to listen to who or have the same opinion as yourself. Is Archie above reproach of course not...was last Fridays game one of the worst that you have seen at Firhill for a long time of course it was....was the manager devoid of ideas from half time onwards was he devoid of getting the players to change tactics to break St Mirren down it looked to me like he was. To some on here Lyle Taylor is THE second coming and I hope he is but once again we have a loan signing coming in who will most probably go elswhere at the end of the season as someone will offer hime more money as happened the last time.

I would have a lot more confidence in Archie if he had sorted the Left back situation long before now and realised that a striker who can score scores on a regular basis and an attacking midfielder who goes beyond the striker is what this team has been crying out for at times during this season.

He has got the team at times playing some of the best football I have seen at Firhill for a long time that has to be achieved on a more regular basis consistency is an issue and if we had been able to achieve wins on the bounce then we would really be challenging for a top 6 place. No 2 wins in a row in the league is not exactly pass marks no matter how you gloss it up.

I always go to support the jags and with passion hope they win every week but I have an opinion and sorry if that differs with you. I dont like some of the posts on here and yes do believe that some people are wired to the moon but I make no apologies you are deluded with your continuous rant against anybody who posts Anti Archie Lyle Taylor is not the Messiah however he is not a bad striker and hopefully will score a few goals that will keep us in this league. This thread contributes little to reasoned debate

Thanks for such an intelligent post Ruchillnomore - it sums up my own thoughts and is an appropriate response to some very ignorant and ill-mannered posts on this thread. I think Lyle Taylor is a decent signing and Archie has done better than I expected in the Transfer Windows.

It is indeed simple Simian - some people post deliberately absurd and confrontational posts to get a reaction - your recent post that we hadn't missed ATS at the same time as the BBC quoted Thistle Fan Colin Quinn as saying that our Transfer Window priority was replacing ATS was a classic example. At least The Cup seems to have a sense of humour about his mischief and doesn't resort to pathetic abuse.

totally agree with that hit or miss list. removing Jury's out.

14 Hits.

7 Miss.

66% success rate. In my view thats incredible for a manager at the beginning of his career who many seem to believe has no contacts or scouting network in the game.

of the jury's out. i fully expect McDaid to go on to be a massive hit.

• Like 1

Archie's transfer record is, on the whole, extremely good. You won't find a single manager out there who's not signed a few duds, but even when Archie does miss, he ships them out ASAP. Compare his transfer record to Alan Johnston for example, who is also in his second season in this league, and it's no contest.

However, Kilmarnock are ahead of us in the league, and finished above us last season. So although I don't think transfer dealings is a stick you can beat Archie with, our inconsistency and inability to see out matches would be a valid criticism. Whether it's all down to his tactics/management or not is debatable. But it's highly frustrating.

Overall I would say Archie has done a good job as our manager, but he could've been better. Hopefully he will improve as time goes on though, and I think we're willing to give him that time. I'm forever thankful that he managed to get us promoted, and keep us in this league after last season, but I do find myself thinking we should've kicked on a bit more this season. When I see Hamilton and Dundee in the top six, in their first season back, I do feel a bit envious. Probably because I know we have a decent squad which should be top six - if they could sort out their inconsistency. Would I put that all down to the manager? No, but he has to shoulder some of the responsibility.

• Like 6

Poor use of statistics here. Awarding "a 50% success rate" assumes that the "jury still out" players will be failures. It also ignores the fact that some of the misses were largely irrelevent punts (Mukendi, Colina). And it doesn't take into account that the success rate appears to show an improving trend over time (the likes of Baird, Kerr and Piccolo were brought in during Archie's first ever transfer window as a manager).

Incidently, what sort of hit rate do you think is acceptable (if you're including freebies like Mukendi and punts on youth such as Colina)? Alex Ferguson signed a fair few turkeys for Man Utd- no-one is going to be right all the time.

^^^^^ this.

look at saha for example ..... £15m to buy, sold back to palace two years later for £3m. thats £12m for 28 minutes playing time.

carroll at liverpool, flo at the club that died, the list is endless, every club signs duds (and many costly ones), at least our duds under archie (in the main) have been of little cost. how many duds did ratnamara sign? mccall? campbell? is anyone seriously arguing they (or going back further managers) have all had a better hit-miss signing rates than archie?

How confusing.

Not confusing at all, Tricky Dicky. I was replying to Red Monkey's earlier instructions to "SFTU" in his own blunt language rather than my own. He is intolerant of anyone who expresses views that are contrary to his own. This should be an open forum for all supporters, including critics such as The Cup and BGM, not just fanboys and cheerleaders.

ETA - I agree with Thick As Thieves above. Dundee and Killie have benefited from escaping their debts or having them written off. Similarly, it's possible that we will be, even are now, competing for players with Hearts and Hibs who are also debt free. The playing field is not even.

Edited by kni

Think I have to query some peoples maths here.

25 Players in

14 Successes

7 Misses

4 haven't played enough to decide due to age, just joined or been on loan.

Maybe my maths teacher was a diddy but I don't see that as being around a 50 % success rate or being average!!

totally agree with that hit or miss list. removing Jury's out.

14 Hits.

7 Miss.

66% success rate. In my view thats incredible for a manager at the beginning of his career who many seem to believe has no contacts or scouting network in the game.

of the jury's out. i fully expect McDaid to go on to be a massive hit.

shoosh the two of you. such blatant sense, suit the agenda of some folk, it does not.

How confusing.

don't be. its the knickerwetter way.

Debate's at least two way street and I do mind you not replying many a time. To Willjag in particular. To be fair I doubt any of us felt stifled.

Apologies in advance if I've got that all wrong.

it's not just "not replying". it's when he gets his arse handed on a plate to him, that he coincidentally disappears off the forum for days or weeks on end.

I'd say the board need to take most of the credit here. They do the finances.

Anyway we now have the making of a decent first 11. The excuses and poor performances need to stop and we need to start pushing up the table.

Do the board identify the players? Do they sell the club to the players that have been identified and approached? Do they discuss with the player where they will fit into the team?

Do the board identify the players? Do they sell the club to the players that have been identified and approached? Do they discuss with the player where they will fit into the team?

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve some credit. I'm sure Archibald has a list of players he would like, but it's irrelevant if we can't afford to sign them.

That comes from the board.

Also the OP is just slabbering his Archie fan boy pish again.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve some credit. I'm sure Archibald has a list of players he would like, but it's irrelevant if we can't afford to sign them.

That comes from the board.

Also the OP is just slabbering his Archie fan boy pish again.

Surely the skill is in identifying players who will make us stronger and then persuading them to join us to further their careers? The majority of the credit should therefore be Archie's.

First of all I ain't on here for purile point scoring either pro- or anti Archie. However, on the face of it Arcie's January dealings would appear to have strengthend rather than weakened our,side. I concede that you could no doubt make the counter argument that our squad is so lacking in ability Tthat no-one sought to buy any of them, heigh ho!

Still and particularly after Friday's debacle, I feel a wee bit more optimistic about the remainder of the season. In particular, if nothing else we should be in a better position psychologically than Caley for the game on Saturday.

First of all I ain't on here for purile point scoring either pro- or anti Archie. However, on the face of it Arcie's January dealings would appear to have strengthend rather than weakened our,side. I concede that you could no doubt make the counter argument that our squad is so lacking in ability Tthat no-one sought to buy any of them, heigh ho!

Still and particularly after Friday's debacle, I feel a wee bit more optimistic about the remainder of the season. In particular, if nothing else we should be in a better position psychologically than Caley for the game on Saturday.

That's funny, I thought Blackpool made 2 bids for Stephen O'Donnell??

Not confusing at all, Tricky Dicky. I was replying to Red Monkey's earlier instructions to "SFTU" in his own blunt language rather than my own. He is intolerant of anyone who expresses views that are contrary to his own. This should be an open forum for all supporters, including critics such as The Cup and BGM, not just fanboys and cheerleaders.

ETA - I agree with Thick As Thieves above. Dundee and Killie have benefited from escaping their debts or having them written off. Similarly, it's possible that we will be, even are now, competing for players with Hearts and Hibs who are also debt free. The playing field is not even.

Too sensible for Dick/PGB, Dark Pissinger, LSR to comprehend. Especially the final point.

We're doing all these things- positive GD, more goals for, less goals conceded in a weaker league along with the fact we've only played Celtic once so far this season.

Time for judgement I guess, for all of us, is the end of the season but many more performances like Fri, Motherwell & Perth & it'll take more than Lyle Taylor to convince me that the fanboys favourite knows what he's doing.

As LSR has told us, we have a better squad so now we should all be in agreement that we should see better results & performances along with consistency. No?

• Like 1

Archie seems to be victim of his own success. He got certain signings wrong - all managers get certain signings wrong so it's a redundant point. As mentioned above, he's learned from them and moved the players on quickly.

Constructive criticism is obviously needed on a forum. Our tactics on Friday were frustrating - although I'd maintain that the pitch was our biggest hindrance. It was impossible to play our normal passing game on that pitch, and a few of the players had off nights. It happens. Considering that since Archie became manager he took us unbeaten to the title, and then improved the squad's players and league position incrementally over the past 2 years - all on a very limited budget compared to the rest of the league - I can't begin to understand why anyone would want to change the manager.

If it's not a case of wanting Archie Out, why whine every single time something doesn't go our way? Some people on this forum seem to be happier revelling in our failures than celebrating our successes. We're Partick Thistle. Things are not always going to go plan, as much as we all want them to. Try to accept that reality and try to enjoy what is the best Jags team in many a long year.

• Like 3