Lyle Is Back !

Harry Wragg

got a year left on his contract with scunny come the summer, he has.

so may require a transfer fee, depending how well he does here second time round, or whether scunny want him back ..... if for arguments sake, he doesn't do well here, say no better than the four goals he's scored for them, or the fact he may not be ratedd by their new manager, or if the few strikers their new manager has signed do well, then increased chance we could get him for free, or nominal fee with his contract cancelled.

alternatively, the better he does in next few months with us, the lesser the chance we'll get him next season, the greater the likelihood scunny will want him back, especially if the new strikers scunny have brought in, don't turn out to be any better than lyle ..... or we can't afford to buy him due to his success increasing his transfer value or another club being able to outbid us. and even after all that, there's the wages issue ..... we couldn't match scunnys deal first time round, so board would have to likely dig bit deeper (possibly into archies budget for next season), hard balancing act.

so, future is unclear, but would love to see lyle do well in next few months banging the goals in for fun alongside dools, and signing a two or three year deal with us in the summer.

for now, let's just enjoy fact lyle is back for now and may the jaggy force be with him for an even more successful second spell with us.

and credit to archie for managing to pull this off, he was probably being offered all types of journeymen and players other clubs wanted off their books or wage bill, but he didn't panic or make a signing for the sake of it, he held out for his man ..... like to play him at poker, i wouldn't.

now let's reignite higgy now his bff is back, and start not only looking up, but climbing up.

we. are. all. thistle. together. united.

one team in glasgow.

Happy that Lyle is back due to his performances and goals but again have we maybe missed an opportunity to promote from within. Whats the point of a development squad if we don,t also utilise it. I think the lad Chris Duggan might have expected a chance.

Could see your point if we had brought in a 30/32 year old journeyman, but Taylor himself is only 24. Duggan can learn plenty from watching and playing with guys like that in training. Facts are we are still on the fringes of relegation/play offs and that's not the place to give youngsters a run.

Edited by Lindau

when you are offered the opportunity to sogn a class act then you take it - and no disrespect to the kids waiting in the wings.

lyle taylor's inclusion in a team not short on talent but struggling for consistency/confidence could be crucial to our finishing posotion this season

• Like 2

Could see your point if we had brought in a 30/32 year old journeyman, but Taylor himself is only 24. Duggan can learn plenty from watching and playing with guys like that in training. Facts are we are still on the fringes of relegation/play offs and that's not the place to give youngsters a run.

Actually we have given youngsters a chance. Lindsay, Keenan (albeit partly forced) and McDaid have appeared in the team this season. OK we've not exactly thrown them in at the deep end like some other teams do(except perhaps in that game v DU) but they've had game time. Duggan got an injury while he was out on loan which has held back his progress so no surprise he hasn't had the same chance as say, McDaid.

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 1

Actually we have given youngsters a chance. Lindsay, Keenan (albeit partly forced) and McDaid have appeared in the team this season. OK we've not exactly thrown them in at the deep end like some other teams do(except perhaps in that game v DU) but they've had game time. Duggan got an injury while he was out on loan which has held back his progress so no surprise he hasn't had the same chance as say, McDaid.

Not one of them has had a regular slot in the team. Archie is doing the right thing, by giving them a bit of game time from the bench and building up their confidence. My reply was to Topcats comment that it might have been better to promote Duggan. I would agree with that if relegation/play off was not an option, but at the moment it is

Edited by Lindau

Very happy with this move. Looks like we've had a successful transfer window in terms of strengthening.

It's not just that we've added 2 players (3 I know, but stick with me) in the positions we've needed most - we've added 2 guys who have experience of this division, and are proven in Scottish football. I don't think any of the teams round about us managed to add players like this.

Delighted that Taylor is back. As much as anything else he seemed to get the best out of those around him last season. He is strong and reasonably pacey and scores all types of goals.. I was hopeful we would get him in the summer but believe that Scunthorpe offered more money to Sheffield United than we did and it wasn't all about his wages.

My only one slight concern is that we look to play the long ball to him all the time. Hopefully not and we can get back to playing football.

Anyway, after the performance of Friday night it is something that has put the smiles back on all of our faces.

Well, most of us..

Edited by Jag

when you are offered the opportunity to sogn a class act then you take it - and no disrespect to the kids waiting in the wings.

lyle taylor's inclusion in a team not short on talent but struggling for consistency/confidence could be crucial to our finishing posotion this season

well said. Lyles goals could be vital in preserving our status in the league and maybe even sending us on a wee Scottish cup run all of which brings in extra income and will maybe allow us to even get him on a permanent.

Welcome back Lyle