Dear Abdul...

Blues Brother

Totally agree that there should be more attacking play with, as soon as we see the net, more shots. Far too many pointless passing, years from now it’s the goals that’s remembered not the safe pass. Bannigan used to fill that role but with his career all but finished it’s left to Frazer the only player with the balls and a half decent shot to have a go. As for Ironman Jamesie Craigen, a mild curry could blow the ball with more power. Osbourne done a good job for us last season, but Osman I feel is an all round better player, certainly the only ball winning mid fielder we have. The lack of confidence in the oppositions half is the remit of the manager to correct.

Be careful Sabbath.

Although I don't agree with everything you wrote, you're entitled to your opinion. However the fanboys & clique will be along to shout you down soon.

I see one of then already has said "don't take the bait."

Here's me thinking, again, that forum meant you could express your opinion.

As I've discovered over the last few days, far too many folk with close links to the inner sanctum of the club think they own this board in terms of they're right & anyone who dates to express a negative view is wrong.

Be careful Sabbath.

Although I don't agree with everything you wrote, you're entitled to your opinion. However the fanboys & clique will be along to shout you down soon.

As I've discovered over the last few days, far too many folk with close links to the inner sanctum of the club think they own this board in terms of they're right & anyone who dates to express a negative view is wrong.

What's your advice to pripple who want to have a conversation about football, but find it continually interrupted by trolls?

What would you say with regards to people having a right to state their opinion, even if their opinion isn't valid, relevant or is without quality?

Many seem quick to hush nomads for example. Or people who have not attended games. By your reconning, they too have every right to state their opinion and have it heard and be treated equally?

Edited by potty trained

Taking off my negative/positive 'it has to be one or the other' viewpoint glasses for a moment.....

I mentioned about 30 mins into the game last Friday that Osbourne looks even less mobile than when he was playing for us. It looks like his knees are just about shot. He still has great positional sense and is good in the tackle, but I'd have Osman in my team 10 times out of 10.

The very thing Osman is being criticized for in this thread, is the same thing Osbourne was being criticized for last season. Not saying it isn't a valid point, but the grass isn't always greener either.

• Like 1

Taking off my negative/positive 'it has to be one or the other' viewpoint glasses for a moment.....

I mentioned about 30 mins into the game last Friday that Osbourne looks even less mobile than when he was playing for us. It looks like his knees are just about shot. He still has great positional sense and is good in the tackle, but I'd have Osman in my team 10 times out of 10.

The very thing Osman is being criticized for in this thread, is the same thing Osbourne was being criticized for last season. Not saying it isn't a valid point, but the grass isn't always greener either.

Go along with this and I really liked Osbourne. Abdul tho' has played excellently and at a regular standard as good as Isaac at his best and on occasion even better. Certainly more consistent.

I feel we've dodged a bullet as I too wouldn't be surprised if Osbourne's knees are on their last legs. The panicky thing to do in the summer was for Archie to re-sign Osbourne and trust he got himself fully fit and stayed that way. Critics of our management's summer signing efforts might want to either ignore the recruitment of Osman or play down his effect on the team.

What's your advice to pripple who want to have a conversation about football, but find it continually interrupted by trolls?

What would you say with regards to people having a right to state their opinion, even if their opinion isn't valid, relevant or is without quality?

Many seem quick to hush nomads for example. Or people who have not attended games. By your reconning, they too have every right to state their opinion and have it heard and be treated equally?

If you're referring to myself (I'm not as paranoid as some on here but I'm not naive either) then I accept that some of my behaviour has been pretty childish but I have an opinion & because it's not liked by some fanboys or those that have contacts within the club staff then why is it wrong?

Whose original point isn't valid, relevant or without quality? & whose job is it to judge if this is the case?

Nomads should have their opinion like anyone else but if they haven't been at a particular game (or seen it for that matter) then how can they criticise those who have had an opinion on the game & were there?

That last bit bothers me more than anything else to be honest.

When you've witnessed the dross at Motherwell & Perth recently then be shouted down by a poster who clearly wasn't there (who previously has shouted you down for daring to have an opinion) then why shouldn't you have the right to respond without him, again, shouting you down as being wrong?

Like I said, know myself that some of my recent ripostes have been more childish than anything else but you do get fed up with certain folk taking what you could almost say is the moral high ground.

I liked both players, not a massive divide between them. But I prefer Osman I think. Only criticism would be his attacking ability in the opposition half, sometimes he holds the ball a little too long looking for the right pass, giving the opposition time to re-group if it's on the counter. Would like to see him maybe drive forward with it, perhaps have a shot.

Unrelated to Osman, is it at all possible to have a thread on here without it descending into the same old arguments?

Osbourne only had to go off injured after a wild tackle from Osman after he'd lost the rag chasing the game.

I've seen reds for less than that.

ossy.jpg

Osman might be less injury prone but he's not as good as Osbourne.

But feel free to disagree with me simply because I dare to give a different opinion to the clique. It's the way it goes on here.

I'm not part of any "clique" but to suggest Osman was dominated by Osbourne on Friday night suggests you know absolutely nothing about football.

1. Explain how I'm a "fanboy" or part of a "clique", considering I'm often critical of our team/manager.

2. I have no 'close links' to the club whatsoever.

3. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but saying Bannigan's career is "all but finished" is of course nonsense. Obvious troll is obvious.

If you're referring to myself (I'm not as paranoid as some on here but I'm not naive either) then I accept that some of my behaviour has been pretty childish but I have an opinion & because it's not liked by some fanboys or those that have contacts within the club staff then why is it wrong?

Whose original point isn't valid, relevant or without quality? & whose job is it to judge if this is the case?

Nomads should have their opinion like anyone else but if they haven't been at a particular game (or seen it for that matter) then how can they criticise those who have had an opinion on the game & were there?

That last bit bothers me more than anything else to be honest.

When you've witnessed the dross at Motherwell & Perth recently then be shouted down by a poster who clearly wasn't there (who previously has shouted you down for daring to have an opinion) then why shouldn't you have the right to respond without him, again, shouting you down as being wrong?

Like I said, know myself that some of my recent ripostes have been more childish than anything else but you do get fed up with certain folk taking what you could almost say is the moral high ground.

You see that sort of contradicts what you've already said today, for example: you're entitled to your opinion. However the fanboys & clique will be along to shout you down soon.

And even more so:

When you yourself are putting restrictions in place.

Take for example Sabbath's opinion that Bannigan's career is finished. Do you think he has any qualification or knowledge of the game to make such a sweeping statement?

A certain element of posters continually slated the likes of Elliott and Craigan, without anything to back up their statements other than sweeping generalisations based in no knowledge of the game or what Archie expected of them. Take for example someone states Elliott, someone states his control is shocking. yet there is evidence to the contrary on a weekly basis to show that this opinion is drivel.

Or that Craigan runs round like a headless chicken. is this a statement you normally hear in the football world, or do you think it comes from someone who hasn't got a clue about the game?

No one knows the tasks laid out to players by our manager, players slated on a weekly basis by spectators, could be walking off the pitch to a handshake from their manager becuase they have done exactly as they were told. a flare player who beats 5 with no end product might get all the sympathy from the fan base, he's great to watch, but with no end product, the manager is tearing his hair out.

Someone once said to me, as i waxed lyrical about Higgy.... He's the sort of player that would get you the sack. I couldn't understand what he meant, whats not to love, afterall? he brings the ball down out the air, skins three men and rattles in a volley into the top corner from 30 yards. fans love him....

but it's that love that will get you the sack. no one knows what goes on in the background, you can have your wee hissy fit about fans being too close to the club, but regardless of how close anyone is, no one knows what goes on in the background, on the training ground, in the managers office. no one knows how easy or difficult a player is to work with, which ones ignore tactics and fly solo, and which ones stick rigidly to the task at hand.

so really, very few if any have a valid opinion on here. it just so happens there are a few, who the majority see as trolls. who spout inane drivel, driven through a strange agenda. one which very few of us understand.

Just look at my signature.

1. Explain how I'm a "fanboy" or part of a "clique", considering I'm often critical of our team/manager.

2. I have no 'close links' to the club whatsoever.

3. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but saying Bannigan's career is "all but finished" is of course nonsense. Obvious troll is obvious.

1. Wasn't aimed at you. Should've made that clearer.

2. As above.

3. Why is it nonsense? Because you disagree with (myself also btw) but that's not the way that Sabbath sees it.

Re Bannigan. What I will say is I don't think he's hit the heights he looked like he was at one point maybe even compared to last season.

Why? I don't think being shifted from attacking MF to left back to sitter has helped. Maybe we all expect too much at times, after all he is still only 22 (I think).

You see that sort of contradicts what you've already said today, for example: you're entitled to your opinion. However the fanboys & clique will be along to shout you down soon.

And even more so:

When you yourself are putting restrictions in place.

Take for example Sabbath's opinion that Bannigan's career is finished. Do you think he has any qualification or knowledge of the game to make such a sweeping statement?

A certain element of posters continually slated the likes of Elliott and Craigan, without anything to back up their statements other than sweeping generalisations based in no knowledge of the game or what Archie expected of them. Take for example someone states Elliott, someone states his control is shocking. yet there is evidence to the contrary on a weekly basis to show that this opinion is drivel.

Or that Craigan runs round like a headless chicken. is this a statement you normally hear in the football world, or do you think it comes from someone who hasn't got a clue about the game?

...who spout inane drivel, driven through a strange agenda. one which very few of us understand.

What's contradicting?

I think there's a big difference between being shouted down (no discussion) & being able to give an opinion which will initiates & provokes discussion.

Which your last point tends to lend it's weight towards. Why is it "inane drivel"? Who are you (or me for that matter) to decide that?

If you don't agree engage & express your opinion. Either that or pass the comment by. Failing that there is an ignore function on here.

However don't be a child & tell the rest of the forum "I'm hitting the ignore button'. It's like showing everyone that you have a petted lip on. Why would you do that? Trying to impress? (Child again?) or curry favour with pals?

As for Elliot & Craigen. On Elliot, his first touch is either sublime or ridiculous. I think he's been very good at left back the last few games however & we may have accidentally stumbled on O'Donnell replacement.

& although I agree that a statement like Craigen runs about like a 'headless chicken', is a little harsh. To say it is a statement you wouldn't hear in the football world, you ever listened to Carragher & Neville in first hour of MNF?

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere, but BBC site reports Record story that Abdul wants to stay past his contract. I'd be delighted (though I wouldn't have been so sure last week, and I wasn't even at Tannadice on Saturday, such is the fickle nature of the football supporter, and I reckon I'm less fickle than most).