End Of Season Collapse?

brodieboy

tough run of fixtures coming up with 3 of next 4 away, A point on Saturday may do as County are playing Mwell, we've got to beat County at home then Dundee Utd away is a defeat right away so we can forget that game, then County away. I think we'll struggle to get anymore than 4 points from those games whereas we should be looking for at least 6 or 7. It depends if Well County and St Mirren continue to be shite or not as we've proved we fill our nappies whenever we're in a must or should win game.

Hibs were relegated last season because they were the worst team in the League. They fluked a 1-0 win at Firhill in one of several games we could have won 4-0 but didn't. At that early stage of the season, they were about third top of the League - that was more astonishing than their subsequent collapse.

I don't think Thistle are close to being the worst team in the League this season but we have a bit of a soft centre which is not what is required in a Relegation Dogfight(I think that's the appropriate tabloid term).

No need to panic...but our good players need to recover their form quickly.

• Like 2

I'd add to ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz that we managed to get promoted at a time when the prize money was pish. Both Dundee and Hamilton will have got substantially more than us in coming up. We've lived well and within our means.

Much as McColl has been lauded in another thread, some of the pish we watched in even recent times, even with him as manager, makes the past two seasons bearable for me.

• Like 1

Yoda, after Saturday you seemed be becoming a bit despondent about our performances and where we would end up if they continued.Has last night changed your mind ?

on saturday, i was "becoming a bit despondent" at the hoofball tactics ..... but main source of despondency was the team selection v caley, hence my starting the thread "archies reaction". the team selection and tactics v caley upset, shocked and disappointed me ..... and many other posters were in same boat, both at the game, in the pub and on forum afterwards (i may be wrong, so apologies if confusing you with another poster, but didn't you post similar bewilderment and frustration?). we had just signed taylor, stevo had been found to be much more effective behind the striker, we had stevo taking our corners, these and other reasons and the first eleven picked, meant the whole crowd were despondent and bewildered before kickoff, and hence muted.

i don't believe on (or before or) since saturday i have stated anything about "where we would end up" other than say if we played unattractive (and ineffective) hoofball from now to end of season that i may find myself not attending every game possible. if you have any evidence of me saying we were destined for eleventh or worse, even on the basis of hoofball, please highlight it to me.

as for last night, there were negatives, no denying it ..... but i also saw further evidence that wee mcdaid is a tenacious, energetic and skillful player who is a genuine contender for a regular starting slot (if we had eleven players with his hunger we'd be more than alright) ..... i also saw that taylor will continue to harrass, bully and by extension, beat and score more goals for us this season against lesser opposition ..... there was more effort to play the ball on the deck, elliott was again full of energy and solid, booth got himself into some good positions (and yes occasionally some bad) ..... so not a glowing report of last night, but not all bad, and not as bad as some knickerwetters would have you believe (and it's likely half of them weren't even at the game, supporting the team).

Despite bad run of form the St Mirren one is the only game that's really hurt us in the league. Point at Killie was fine and Celtic defeat was to be expected. Important that the team picks itself up, but talk of a collapse is premature and unhelpful.

Don't know how far back you are going, but for me the defeat at Motherwell did nothing for our league safety.

So far this season we've had two losses at home to St Mirren, ended Motherwell's bad run, ended 5 defeats on the spin by St Johnstone and ended Kilmarnock's poor run with a draw in December. And I'd throw in the first home game v Hamilton when we lost from a winning position in extremis.

In short, we have previous for bottling it when we should be certs.

Frankly, if we'd done our job properly in even half of those games, we'd now be looking at three points for guaranteed safety (assuming 38 points as the watermark).

Don't know how far back you are going, but for me the defeat at Motherwell did nothing for our league safety.

So far this season we've had two losses at home to St Mirren, ended Motherwell's bad run, ended 5 defeats on the spin by St Johnstone and ended Kilmarnock's poor run with a draw in December. And I'd throw in the first home game v Hamilton when we lost from a winning position in extremis.

Frankly, if we'd done our job properly in even half of those games, we'd now be looking at three points for guaranteed safety (assuming 38 points as the watermark).

I wouldn't deny that we've thrown points away throughout the season and probably deservde more. But it would be difficult to define a poor run of form to include the Dundee United and Hamilton performances.

Yes, we've been inconsistent throughout, but that inconsistency has put us in a strong position if premier survival is the aim, and certainly doesn't constitute a "collapse" of Hibernian proportions as has been suggested. If we can get that inconsistency back we'll be fine. So I'm assuming that what we're talking about here is everything since the Accies game, and as I said, in that time only the Saints game has really harmed our league situation.

Edited by allyo

last twenty four games:

killie ..... 29

thistle ..... 25

st. mirn ..... 18 *

otherwell ..... 18

dross ..... 12

* have played 25 games

right you are jaggernaut, fun this is!

Was the title of the thread not 'END OF SEASON COLLAPSE'?

I'd suggest jaggernaut's stats are a bit more relevant at this moment.

So long as we're inconsistent we'll get enough points. The next 4/5 games will show us more.

Kilmarnock and St Johnstone amongst others have all gone on unbeaten streaks that are quite a bit longer than any one we have been on, though.

I hear what you're saying. We're due a good run!

The frustrating thing for me is that we constantly struggle playing the teams around us when we have a chance to kick on a bit.

Was the title of the thread not 'END OF SEASON COLLAPSE'?

I'd suggest jaggernaut's stats are a bit more relevant at this moment.

So long as we're inconsistent we'll get enough points. The next 4/5 games will show us more.

the point being, anyone can come up with a set of stats over any given period which suit the picture each individual wants to paint.

as promotion, relegation and all in between is decided over a season, that's the stat that's most relevant at end of the day (and season), and as pointed out by others every team has a dip or three in their season (and as dips go, we're hardly into a freefall losing six in a row ..... as st mirn, rossco, well, killie have), as well as runs of injuries, sequence of games opponents how they compare at a given point in the season ..... then i don't think a snapshot of a few games is a justifiable basis for some posters to predict with glee we're collapsing.

you want a stat that is all doom and gloom?

take the bottom fives last three games ..... in all competitions. i don't know them all, but doesn't take a genius to know we're likely bottom as lost two league and one cup, so unless some other team lost their last three and have a worse goal difference, we're bottom and pointless. but what does that prove? two of the three were against first and third in league. again, without knowing all other four clubs opponents, i'd guess we've had the hardest in overall league positions.

so, let's not go ott with stats ..... last few games have been substandard in performance, particularly by some players, but again i make the point, every club has dips, but as bad runs go, we're hardly into a sustained run of poor form and six in a row defeats and unable to score like our competitors have had results, especially when taken in context of our recent opponents versus their recent opponents.

as well as lyle back, there's bre, booth, finnie, all settling in, as well as players like mcdaid coming through, let's give these guys a chance before writing them off hmmm? as well as the rest of the squad (who should be boosted and stretched to improve with the added challenge for places).

here's another stat ..... win tomorrow, close gap to dundee in seventh, and have a game in hand over them. thats potentially two points behind them. hardly insurmountable.

archie scored a spectacular own goal with his selection v caley. he knows it, the players know it, we all know it.

the players scored a spectacular own goal gifting green arse cheek brigade a goal in thirty eight seconds. we know it, archie knows it, the players all know it.

let's give them all a chance to rectify the last few games, surely they deserve at least the next few games to redeem themselves? or do stats not count over a longer period than suits panic merchants and knicker-wetters agendas?

by all means, lets dig this thread up in a few weeks if we've gone another three abject performances and results, but talk of a collapse, is at best, premature.

what are we?

last i heard, it was termed "supporters".

let's get behind the players and archie tomorrow and rest of season and do just that.

and ..... even if we lose an early goal, lets not be silenced like we've allowed ourselves to be of late.

we. are. thistle.

players. management. fans.

together as one. in good as well as bad times.

• Like 5

You honestly believe we should be CERTS to beat St Mirren, Motherwell, Hamilton, St Johnstone and Kilmarnock??

Next 4 games might tell us about a "collapse" (Dundee, Ross, D. United and Ross again - 3 of which are away)) - then perhaps a judgement can be made regarding a "collapse" or perhaps it was over-achievement to date or potentially a recovery by relegation threatened opponents etc.

Makes the season a bit more interesting - after all if Dundee win tomorrow they will be pretty much safe and will have achieved their goal for season - the rest of the season will be a meaningless exercise in treading water..........................now you thing of it that would be great!