Paul Gallacher

angry gaz

I think Archie expected a defeat while hoping for better and took a chance to rest a few players and give others a run out (3 games in just over a week). Elliot played in his more usual position (letting Booth have another run out after missing the cup game) and McDaid got a full game. Higgy and lawless got a rest and may be in contention for the next game, although McDaid did well enough to be considered as well. Fox got a run out and a decent test which is good thing: Gallagher may not have been injured but he may be so it's good that Fox has shown he can deputise OK.

Just hope Seabourne was being rested too or if not just a minor thing kept him out.

Im assuming now Archie will give Fox a run in the team before having to drop him again . Galls hasn't been at his best recently but he's much better than Fox and against ICT he had two great one on one saves.

Fox will inevitabley be dropped before the end of the season again.

Edited by angry gaz

Out of interest is there anyone on the forum that would play Foxy ahead of Galls on Saturday?

I'd probably play Gallacher but Fox needs game time and I don't mean the odd run out for the Under 20s. If Paul G got injured, increasingly more likely as he ages, you want your other keeper to be sharp and match ready. I doubt if Gallacher had played last night he'd have prevented any of the goals and I thought Fox did reasonably well given the defence was getting carved open for much of the game.

It might not seem right to criticise Gallacher, as he's often the one player who keeps us in a game, but the hoofball we've been guilty of lately starts with the keeper. In that one area alone, the distribution viewpoint, Fox is usually the better by far. Don't believe that should be enough to keep Paul out the team but coupled with the opinion Scott needed match time it goes someway to explain why Archie decided to play Foxy last night.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

don't know how you think his distribution is better

every long ball went into the dugout or the JHS

Fox is more likely to look for a ball to feet rather than just launch it up the park. Last night's game would be an exception as no other team will press us quite as effectively as Celtic.

Fox is just so slow at distributing the ball, it just compounds the Banzo/Osman issue. Remember when we had Tuffey how quickly he would set up attacks by instantly throwing the ball forward. It completely catches teams out and is such an underused tactic at our level. Why pass the ball through a whole team when a quick throw can take 4/5 of their players out while not allowing the other 5 to get in position.

Gals is better than Fox in every area, such a weird time for Archie to introduce Fox back in as well - a game we were more than likely going to concede several goals, great for his confidence! Bemused.

• Like 1

What are you basing your assessment of Scully on?

Having seen him and having seen the goals that he's conceded in a low quality side in a low quality league.

He doesn't look confident, he doesn't command his area, he rarely saves a 1 on 1 and he still flaps at crosses.

In my opinion.

By all means, like BRE give him a chance but if you're expecting someone to step in like Gallacher then I don't think it's him.

Can I suggest you align yourself to the Weir Academy and spend time on the sidelines and point out all those players who won't cut it to save them from heartache in the future. I can imagine it now, you standing there pontificating ( comes natural to you it seems) deciding who is good enough and who is not.

• Like 1

Scully and Fox are nowhere near good enough for the number 1 shirt. They come from the modern day school of goalkeeping where they like to have their hair all nice and beards trimmed to perfection while prancing about on their tiptoes palming the ball into their own nets. Gallagher on the other hand is more old school, stop the ball getting in the net at all costs wether that be with foot, hand, face whatever and if he get's dirty or wet from the rain he doesn't mind.

Can't quite remember the second goal from last night but the first Fox sold himself and the third when he dived he just dived and fell on the position he was standing !

Edited by Pinhead