Jags Vs Ict 21/03/2015

Paulo

Let's talk about it.

We've got a record most teams would love against ICT this season, which should see us go into this one with confidence. Then again, the cup game proved that we're more than capable of turning round a good record at any point.

Same team as last Saturday would seem to be a stick on. Archie tends not to tweak things when they're going well, and has hopefully learned his lesson after what could be generously termed an 'experiment' with the lineup against ICT last time.

Assuming Higgy will be back on the bench for this. Elliot still out, and who knows what with Seabourne.

I think I've stopped being optimistic or pessimistic about our chances as there's really no guessing what we will get from the team tomorrow.

• Like 1

Same team as last week incidentally would be six changes from the 4-0 game up at Inverness with a further positional change (Stevenson). Only mentioning that as it's easy to think that last week's starting XI is our optimum line up. No idea what that is but like Paulo I don't see much reason to change from the St J game. ICT are similar in so much they're normally equally hard to break down. They offer more problems going forward so Osman, Banzo and Craigen will again have a lot of ground to cover. Keeping discipline is particularly important as we'll have to match them physically. No mean feat.

btw I thought Higgy would still be unavailable for this one?

I wouldn't be going to the bookies to bet on this game. History tells us that anything could happen.

While Archie hasn't tinkered with a winning team before, that policy hasn't brought us a second win, which for me is as good a reason as any to do some tinkering. Problem is that I'm not sure where.

Taylor for Dools (who doesn't often score in consecutive games) ?

Higgy for Craigen (but I think we will need James's energy and workrate) ?

Seabo for Conrad or Frans (who both played extremely well last week) ?

I think the other 7 are pretty much bullet proof barring a late injury

Higgy has a two game ban so won't feature.

I would expect the same team but he always seems to prefer Taylor over Doolan if the former is fit he may change that.

No time like tomorrow to break our avoiding losing or drawing twice in a row record. (How was that Allyo?)

Same 11. Keep Higgy and Seaborne well away from even the bench.

^^^^^ this.

show some belief in the players who stepped up and did a damn fine job last weekend, yes i get the good old ladys point about it being six changes different from the four nil game, and the mean machine driver (and vulture squadron leader) point about not tinkering after a win hasn't brought back to back wins either, but now we are at the business end of the season we need eleven players who can be relied on to give their all and not throw toys out of pram in petulant rages, and after last weekend, that same eleven deserves chance to show they can do it two games running. wilson, taylor and one other fine for coming on in second half as subs depending how game is going.

a cauldron of noise from both the northy and the jhs would be welcome too.

I wouldn't be going to the bookies to bet on this game. History tells us that anything could happen.

While Archie hasn't tinkered with a winning team before, that policy hasn't brought us a second win, which for me is as good a reason as any to do some tinkering. Problem is that I'm not sure where.

Taylor for Dools (who doesn't often score in consecutive games) ?

Higgy for Craigen (but I think we will need James's energy and workrate) ?

Seabo for Conrad or Frans (who both played extremely well last week) ?

I think the other 7 are pretty much bullet proof barring a late injury

the only bet I would be certain of placing is for a draw or ICT win as we won our last game....

I've said this before, but everytime we win we put out the exact same team and fail to win again. This is not working for us and Archie should realise it. So no major changes but would be tempted to bring in Fraser for Craigen and push Banzo forward, where he basically played last week anyway - doing very well.

I'm not sure though, seems harsh on Craigen but I still think we need a slight twist as fielding the same team after a win has never worked. Or maybe try Taylor upfront.

Edited by read'n'yell

I'm not a huge Conrad fan but regardless of Sebournes fitness I would stick with him. Like last year with lee mair or similar good solid defender by his side he is a good no2. It's when he takes the leader role he struggles.

Like the great alto saxophonist Paul Desmond. Stick him in the various Dave Brubeck line ups or get him duetting with Gerry Mulligan he absolutely excels. Albums as leader, never that clever.

Tempting fate here but I'd go so far as to say Conrad over the piece was the stronger of the duo with Mair and I feel he's outshone Frans lately as well. Certainly when it comes to building from the back he's more productive than either Frans or Mair. When Conrad goes over to his natural side to partner Seaborne he's probably at his best.

• Like 3

As more or less everyone has posited the only thing you can expect from Thistle is the unexpected. Frankly there is as much chance of us getting a doing as there is of us giving one. On those grounds I'll make absolutely no predictions of the score. I will make my return for the first time in a couple of weeks due to unavoidable circumstances. Ipso facto, I really hope I can mark the occassion with a victory. :)

Like the great alto saxophonist Paul Desmond. Stick him in the various Dave Brubeck line ups or get him duetting with Gerry Mulligan he absolutely excels. Albums as leader, never that clever.

Just in case you weren't sure if this was Thistle forum or not...

Looking at the unpredictability of the Jags' performances over the years, you begin to wonder whether the manager de jour has any influence at all on the results, and that these are simply random events. If so, perhaps we could save some money by dispensing with a manager altogether. Teams would be picked by a guest manager of the week, who would be chosen by a draw at the previous home game (home supporters only obviously) with tickets costing say £1 . The day to day training could be delegated to the Army, which would add a little something to team attitudes.

• Like 1

I've said this before, but everytime we win we put out the exact same team and fail to win again. This is not working for us and Archie should realise it. So no major changes but would be tempted to bring in Fraser for Craigen and push Banzo forward, where he basically played last week anyway - doing very well.

I'm not sure though, seems harsh on Craigen but I still think we need a slight twist as fielding the same team after a win has never worked. Or maybe try Taylor upfront.

Don't think Taylor fit.

As for moving Bannigan.... No, No, No, No, No!!!

For me, that's part of the reason why he's not been as effective this season. He's played holding midfield, attacking midfield, left off the front & left back.

Keep him where he played last week, get Osman to do the 'dirty work' & tell Stuart to run the show like last week. Keep Craigen in for his energy.

Same again barring any knocks.

Don't think Taylor fit.

As for moving Bannigan.... No, No, No, No, No!!!

For me, that's part of the reason why he's not been as effective this season. He's played holding midfield, attacking midfield, left off the front & left back.

Keep him where he played last week, get Osman to do the 'dirty work' & tell Stuart to run the show like last week. Keep Craigen in for his energy.

Same again barring any knocks.

^^^^^^^

This.

Tempting fate here but I'd go so far as to say Conrad over the piece was the stronger of the duo with Mair and I feel he's outshone Frans lately as well. Certainly when it comes to building from the back he's more productive than either Frans or Mair. When Conrad goes over to his natural side to partner Seaborne he's probably at his best.

Take five in midfield, for example. Conrad likes the extra protection and soon gets into his rhythm. That said, I've definitely not written Seabo off just yet. I still think he'll have a bit of a say in how our season concludes, wretched injuries permitting.

I'd love to see us sneak a jammy win with a fluke goal relying on a dodgy decision in injury time.

I confidently predict that this won't happen.

I'd rather the game was done and dusted by halftime, with no way back for ICT. The jammy wins can wait for Celtic and Aberdeen.

• Like 1