Garscube Road End

And a nice spot in today's Sun by Des McKeown

Eusebio, Pele, Ronaldo, Zico... and Chico

By DES McKEOWN

published

13 hours ago

comments

PELE, Eusebio, Ronaldo, Zico, Socrates.

A selection of football men who never needed a second name.

Well, let me give you another one — Chico.

Chico

Late Partick Thistle kitman was a Maryhill legend

Now the wider football community may be scratching their heads wondering who he is.

But, anyone connected to Partick Thistle over the last 15 years will know exactly who Chico is.

From players and Press to the fans and board of directors, nobody will forget the antics and chaos one of the club’s kit men caused.

Sadly, his name has been mentioned more than ever in the last week since his untimely death last weekend — leaving many inside Firhill numb.

He was the beating heart of the backroom team at Thistle when I was there along with his partner in crime Ricky Roughan.

If there was some nonsense going on you could bet your last pound that they were involved. From wind-ups and mickey taking to laughs and crazy goings on, Ricky and Chico led the way.

New players got the treatment as soon as they arrived at the club because they were vulnerable and didn’t know any better.

The guys who were already there were ALWAYS on their guard for the next episode of mayhem from the terrible twins.

It could be anything from giving out the wrong instructions so that John Lambie would flip his lid or something as simple as a hoax phone call.

It didn’t matter what the opportunity was — they never missed a chance to cause chaos.

But, believe me, they were a huge part of the success that the club has had and every player who pulled on a Jags strip during their time at Firhill would recognise that.

From taking young players under their wing and looking after them to providing a laugh and a joke when things weren’t always going to plan, they played their part in rebuilding the club.

Along with Fiona, who is also part of the backroom team, they are worth their weight in gold to Thistle. And that is something that every football club can relate to because they will have one or two people right out of the same mould.

At the various clubs I played for over the years there were always people behind the scenes who did their bit for the club with care and pride but without any fuss or longing for recognition.

As former Celtic captain Tom Boyd mentioned recently, these are exactly the people who should be inducted into halls of fame for their services to their clubs and I am delighted to see more and more being given that accolade.

Many clubs would not function without the efforts of certain people behind the scenes.

Only last November Morton’s kit man Andy Bryan entered the Cappielow club’s Hall of Fame for his efforts over 40 years. At Queen of the South, the groundsman and kitman Kevin McCormick was given the same honour a couple of years back.

There could be one or two people at EVERY club who would be worthy of induction and that is why clubs should honour them.

In a twist of fate Partick Thistle have their very own Hall of Fame dinner next Friday night and I’m delighted that another one of the Firhill backroom team of many years, Dr Alan Robertson, will be inducted.

I’m sure the Doc will remember fondly many hours and laughs with Chico and Ricky at the stadium and on the countless bus journeys up and down the country.

Sadly Chico has taken his place in the Heaven XI’s kit room far too soon.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1