Other Players To Target -

Third Lanark

The number one priority this summer has to be securing Taylor on a permanent deal. As far as I'm aware, we have first refusal on him but his affordability may depend on which position we finish. I imagine we have budgeted to finish 10th so anything above that and the prize money could theoretically be put towards any transfer fee although it would seem that crowds have been down on projections so any extra income might be needed to cover shortfalls. I would hope that he's seen that the grass isn't always greener and that his career will benefit from staying in the one place for longer than a season.

Secondly, I'd be keen to retain Booth who fits our full-back archetype and has performed very well in recent weeks. He's very handy going forward, has been relatively solid defensively and still has time to develop and perhaps be sold on. It wouldn't be ideal having to assimilate two new full-backs so if we could have a bit of continuity and keep Booth permanently, it would be good business. On the other side, we'll need a new full-back to replace the outgoing O'Donnell and I don't think Finnie is ready yet although I hope to see him kept on for another year. Gary Miller looks likely to be leaving St Johnstone and despite not being the best going forward, might be a solid enough replacement to give Finnie time to get up to speed if he remains well regarded as a prospect. If we were looking for a longer term replacement, I've seen Shaun Rooney at Queens Park only once this season but left suitably impressed although like Finnie, he probably isn't ready yet.

Fox has played quite an important role in our recent good defensive form but I think we should be looking for an upgrade in this position. Over the course of the season, it appears that time is slightly catching up with Gallacher yet many still consider him the better goalkeeper. With the highly-rated Scully returning from Dunfermline, it seems like a good time to clear the decks, thank Foxy for his service and allow him to leave. That said, I'd only permit that if we had a replacement lined up; with Jamie MacDonald, arguably the pick of the available keepers, having (allegedly) already agreed at a deal at Kilmarnock, that might prove easier said than done.

I suspect we'll be in the market for another centre-half in the summer. I think Balatoni has more than earned a new contract but I imagine he'll be keeping his options open; his and Fox's newspaper articles had more than a pinch of self-promotion about them and I wouldn't begrudge him a better move. I think he's been considerably undervalued by some Thistle fans since our promotion and many were too quick to embrace his absence from the team. I think the difference between him and Frans is negligible yet they make a far better partnership than any that Seaborne featured in.

That leads onto Sicknote. For some time, I've doubted whether we'll ever see him play in a Thistle jersey again despite being contracted for next season; I expect him to head back south. If he stays, I'll be happy to have him provided he can prove his fitness. Individually, I think he's our best defender but the Balatoni-Frans pairing has been greater than the sum of its parts. I can't see us keeping Richards-Everton on for another year after a patchy six month spell at Airdrie; it was a reasonable punt given his attributes and stature but I think he's probably just short of what we're looking for. I would hope that we will be interested in Mark Durnan from Queen of the South who looks like he'll be moving into the Premiership, irrelevant of the play-off outcome, but talk that he's been offered a deal with Hearts.

Supposing any of this comes to pass, the main replacements needed would be a goalkeeper, a right-back and a wide attacking player to replace Higginbotham (wouldn't say no to Lionel Ainsworth although he'd cost a pretty penny in wages) in addition to Booth and Taylor signing permanently and the possibility of a new centre-half to replace either Seaborne or Balatoni, should they depart. Would be very happy with that business this summer and have every faith in Archie getting it right. Again.

And hopefully, folk won't wet their pants if we haven't completed all of our business by the time our first friendly comes around.

Edited by Armand2

The number one priority this summer has to be securing Taylor on a permanent deal. As far as I'm aware, we have first refusal on him but his affordability may depend on which position we finish. I imagine we have budgeted to finish 10th so anything above that and the prize money could theoretically be put towards any transfer fee although it would seem that crowds have been down on projections so any extra income might be needed to cover shortfalls. I would hope that he's seen that the grass isn't always greener and that his career will benefit from staying in the one place for longer than a season.

Secondly, I'd be keen to retain Booth who fits our full-back archetype and has performed very well in recent weeks. He's very handy going forward, has been relatively solid defensively and still has time to develop and perhaps be sold on. It wouldn't be ideal having to assimilate two new full-backs so if we could have a bit of continuity and keep Booth permanently, it would be good business. On the other side, we'll need a new full-back to replace the outgoing O'Donnell and I don't think Finnie is ready yet although I hope to see him kept on for another year. Gary Miller looks likely to be leaving St Johnstone and despite not being the best going forward, might be a solid enough replacement to give Finnie time to get up to speed if he remains well regarded as a prospect. If we were looking for a longer term replacement, I've seen Shaun Rooney at Queens Park only once this season but left suitably impressed although like Finnie, he probably isn't ready yet.

Fox has played quite an important role in our recent good defensive form but I think we should be looking for an upgrade in this position. Over the course of the season, it appears that time is slightly catching up with Gallacher yet many still consider him the better goalkeeper. With the highly-rated Scully returning from Dunfermline, it seems like a good time to clear the decks, thank Foxy for his service and allow him to leave. That said, I'd only permit that if we had a replacement lined up; with Jamie MacDonald, arguably the pick of the available keepers, having (allegedly) already agreed at a deal at Kilmarnock, that might prove easier said than done.

I suspect we'll be in the market for another centre-half in the summer. I think Balatoni has more than earned a new contract but I imagine he'll be keeping his options open; his and Fox's newspaper articles had more than a pinch of self-promotion about them and I wouldn't begrudge him a better move. I think he's been considerably undervalued by some Thistle fans since our promotion and many were too quick to embrace his absence from the team. I think the difference between him and Frans is negligible yet they make a far better partnership than any that Seaborne featured in.

That leads onto Sicknote. For some time, I've doubted whether we'll ever see him play in a Thistle jersey again despite being contracted for next season; I expect him to head back south. If he stays, I'll be happy to have him provided he can prove his fitness. Individually, I think he's our best defender but the Balatoni-Frans pairing has been greater than the sum of its parts. I can't see us keeping Richards-Everton on for another year after a patchy six month spell at Airdrie; it was a reasonable punt given his attributes and stature but I think he's probably just short of what we're looking for. I would hope that we will be interested in Mark Durnan from Queen of the South who looks like he'll be moving into the Premiership, irrelevant of the play-off outcome, but talk that he's been offered a deal with Hearts.

Supposing any of this comes to pass, the main replacements needed would be a goalkeeper, a right-back and a wide attacking player to replace Higginbotham (wouldn't say no to Lionel Ainsworth although he'd cost a pretty penny in wages) in addition to Booth and Taylor signing permanently and the possibility of a new centre-half to replace either Seaborne or Balatoni, should they depart. Would be very happy with that business this summer and have every faith in Archie getting it right. Again.

And hopefully, folk won't wet their pants if we haven't completed all of our business by the time our first friendly comes around.

completely disagree with you my number 1 prioritys would be lawless and osman by far our best players this season

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone aware of Gardynes future at Tannadice? Is he free to go?

Imagine it won't be for a few weeks before news of any potential new players come about. As usual think we will get the leftovers come the start of the new season. But as Seaborne and Osman then Higgy/ Osbourne last season proved there can be great finds from players not getting that Championship or good League One move.

Anyone aware of Gardynes future at Tannadice? Is he free to go?

Imagine it won't be for a few weeks before news of any potential new players come about. As usual think we will get the leftovers come the start of the new season. But as Seaborne and Osman then Higgy/ Osbourne last season proved there can be great finds from players not getting that Championship or good League One move.

yeah dundee united said a few weeks ago he was free to leave, along with brian graham and keith watson.

From BBC gossip ....

Kilmarnock's Finnish playmaker Alexei Eremenko, who had a hand in all four of his team's goals against Partick Thistle at the weekend, complains about the long-ball style of play adopted by the Rugby Park side and warns he may not stay for next season unless they change. (Scotsman)

We could do worse

If we could afford him, would Andrew Driver be worth looking at? Doesn't seem to have warranted much game time at Aberdeen since he joined and has now been released.

Also interested to see where David Clarkson goes after being released by Dundee. Still only 29, could be an option if we can't get Taylor.

If we could afford him, would Andrew Driver be worth looking at? Doesn't seem to have warranted much game time at Aberdeen since he joined and has now been released.

Also interested to see where David Clarkson goes after being released by Dundee. Still only 29, could be an option if we can't get Taylor.

I was surprised Clarkson was freed, he scored in the first 8 or 9 games then went off the boil, has he been playing for Dundee as a main striker or in a Stevo type role? he might be worth a punt.theyre obviously punting him so they can get Hemmings in.

Edited by jags on tour

David Clarkson is woeful. Does absolutely nothing other than put it in the net and we can't afford a passenger like that.

Ha-ha! I bet most teams would love a guy like that. However I think I recall it being said that his goal scoring average is pretty poor and he seems to have had an Indian summer spell at Dundee. Looking him up apart from a couple of good season early in his career he doesn't seem to be all that great a goalscorer.

So - and considering he's almost 30 - I'd say not such a good idea as a signing. If we're going to take a chance on someone I'd rather we take it with a young player we might be able to improve. If we're going to sign a guy his age he has to have proven form.

I know that we probably don't need to up the midfield numbers but keagan Jacobs has looked a decent player this term, albeit by livi standards.

Other than that a striker is a priority for me given we have only one proven poacher on the books in dools. I would love it if Archie gave Nesbit or Duggan a chance in the pre season friendlies but barring that I can't think of many affordable options that we would have heard of.

Anyone know what the Rory mcallister situation is? Looked a prospect but last I heard he was viewing football as a hobby rather than full time career.

We could also do worse than look at martin boyle on loan at the dee and out of contract.

Edited by kennymac29

Andy Webster released by Coventry, he's 33.he's played in 39 games this season, I thought he was usually injured alot but he's played his fair share this year.dunno how slow he is now though, I suppose it depends whether Arxhie wants to re-sign Richards Everton

what about the boy Daniel Carmichael from QOTS - if we were to lose Lawless or Higgy, surely he would be an ideal replacement?

He has played consistantly well for QOTS for the last few year (2010 - now...)

I know he has been mentioned on similar threads before, but from what I have seen of him this year he has shown he can play against some of the better teams in the championship...

Carmichael is the type of player we should be going for - young and could develop significantly. However pretty sure there'd be a hefty development fee involved.

My only disappointment in the last couple of years is that we appear to have stopped looking for up-and-coming players in the Scottish lower leagues - i.e. Sinclair, Paton, Cairney and to a different extent Erskine, Doolan and Craigen. I understand that the step up to Premiership is much more than Championship but we may be missing a trick here, especially on our budget. Dundee appear to be an example of doing it right.

Carmichael is the type of player we should be going for - young and could develop significantly. However pretty sure there'd be a hefty development fee involved.

My only disappointment in the last couple of years is that we appear to have stopped looking for up-and-coming players in the Scottish lower leagues - i.e. Sinclair, Paton, Cairney and to a different extent Erskine, Doolan and Craigen. I understand that the step up to Premiership is much more than Championship but we may be missing a trick here, especially on our budget. Dundee appear to be an example of doing it right.

Totally agree. We should be looking at the type of guys Dundee have been targeting. If we don't get Taylor, guys like Loy and Hemmings should have been targets. Plenty of good young talent in the lowers leagues. Gavin Reilly could be worth a look but I think a development fee might be required

Some of the names being mentioned are rather eccentric. Will no doubt soon be joined by kni randomly plucking names out of NewsNow with a quick cross reference on Soccerbase.

On that note, Darren o'Dea released by Blackpool. I haven't seen him play in years, but I guess it depends on why he's been released, is he crap or are his wages too high for league one. Since he was playing for Blackpool, probably the former.

what about the boy Daniel Carmichael from QOTS - if we were to lose Lawless or Higgy, surely he would be an ideal replacement?

He has played consistantly well for QOTS for the last few year (2010 - now...)

I know he has been mentioned on similar threads before, but from what I have seen of him this year he has shown he can play against some of the better teams in the championship...

I've only seen him once this season (apart from on TV) but I can't see any favourable comparison with either Higgy or Lawless. Great pace but I thought he was a straight forward wide player with not the greatest of touches. Besides surely he'd have made the move up by now if he had the potential to offer more?