Edwin Morgan Rip

B.C.G. JAG

Like many on here probably did, I read some of his poems during higher English, and at that time he was one of few writers I could really appreciate as I wasn't particularly into literature back then.

The way he continued to produce work even when ill is an inspiration.

I studied him in higher English too. During the class he was appearing at Waterstones Sauchihall Street for a reading and, unknown to the teacher, five of the class attended. After it finished we asked him if we could ask a few questions because we were studying him. He gave us about an hour of his time and gave me all the answers to what his poem "the moons of Jupiter" was all about, as I had to do an essay on it. I wrote a perfect essay, right from the poets mouth, and got a mid-50's score with my teaher saying I had mis-interpreted some key themes. Even when I told him "last week Edwin Morgan told me he meant this" he wouldn't change it...

RIP Mr Morgan. A true gent.

I studied him in higher English too. During the class he was appearing at Waterstones Sauchihall Street for a reading and, unknown to the teacher, five of the class attended. After it finished we asked him if we could ask a few questions because we were studying him. He gave us about an hour of his time and gave me all the answers to what his poem "the moons of Jupiter" was all about, as I had to do an essay on it. I wrote a perfect essay, right from the poets mouth, and got a mid-50's score with my teaher saying I had mis-interpreted some key themes. Even when I told him "last week Edwin Morgan told me he meant this" he wouldn't change it...

RIP Mr Morgan. A true gent.

That's a really nice wee story. Sounds like your teacher was as stubborn as (ahem) some folk on here.