Mhairi Black

javeajag

Laura is a Jags fan but never went to many games - despite my attempts to drag her along (my wee sis). I used to go home and away but not so much now, given where I live, but it's great to see the team doing so well under Archie.

Whats the chances of getting Laura to wear something red and yellow next time she's on the telly? A surreptitious wee thistle on her lapel? I'm sure she could slip something in as part of the celebration...it would be great, and it would be our dirty, wee secret!

• Like 1

I'm down in the basement, my wireless is tuned into Moscow and I'm awaiting instructions. It's not like the old days! I look at the ballot paper, in many ways nice to have the opportunity of universal suffrage, but all I see are diluted neo-liberal promises. But, for once, only once, I think you're right. That wee turd Alexander needs to be bounced into touch and Ms Black is just the candidate to make this happen. (In this respect I'm being serious, even if I do have history with the SNP locally; but that's another story: chapter 8 of my memoir, available in all Bargain Books for £0.10 or £35 for a signed copy from behind the bar in the New Regent! I do 'meet the author' days in the Star before home games. Good looking guy who stands beside the ageing rocker that is is your brother!)

Do you still have a Pat Lally statue in your hall? Must be good for hanging your top hat and cape after a hard day keeping the lower orders in check.

I'm down in the basement, my wireless is tuned into Moscow and I'm awaiting instructions. It's not like the old days! I look at the ballot paper, in many ways nice to have the opportunity of universal suffrage, but all I see are diluted neo-liberal promises. But, for once, only once, I think you're right. That wee turd Alexander needs to be bounced into touch and Ms Black is just the candidate to make this happen. (In this respect I'm being serious, even if I do have history with the SNP locally; but that's another story: chapter 8 of my memoir, available in all Bargain Books for £0.10 or £35 for a signed copy from behind the bar in the New Regent! I do 'meet the author' days in the Star before home games. Good looking guy who stands beside the ageing rocker that is is your brother!)

Do you still have a Pat Lally statue in your hall? Must be good for hanging your top hat and cape after a hard day keeping the lower orders in check.

Your dream of a benevolent dictatorship ,with you in charge,is still a way off MJ. In the meantime Im glad to see you have realized the only way to rid ourselves of likes of Alexander is a positive vote for the likes of Ms Black . I will of course say nothing to those in the New Regent who might be offended by your revolutionary ways and voting tatics. Incidentally, I knew Pat Lally well , he was our next door neighbor and would probably be regarded by today's standard of Labour party as a dangerous left wing Marxist

Edited by angry gaz

I knew Pat Lally well , he was our next door neighbor and would probably be regarded by today's standard of Labour party as a dangerous left wing Marxist

He was certainly Old Labour; but took great pride in ridding the old LP of anyone who considered themselves to be a Marxist. They laid into the old Marxist (Militant) tendency big time; then look at how quickly Clause IV was changed etc. I was in a different constituency during the purges but the likes of wee Pat did nothing to stop expulsions as they threatened their power-base. Like many of the old school LP, he was scared that the party was being dragged too far to the left. But another story for another thread - Blackpool jag and others could probably add more.

Apologies for going off-topic. I seriously wish Mhairi the best of luck in her campaign. It would be nice to see the back of a few of the New Labour big-hitters. This isn't me showing support for the SNP; just stating the obvious...

Out of interest, do you still meet the wee man for a glass of sherry up the Castlemilk Labour Club?

• Like 1

Congrats to Mhairi and cheerio to wee Dougie A. Interesting times indeed; but the problem is that there will probably be no one to do a coalition with (latest figs suggesting slender Tory majority). Nice also to see UKIP get a pounding; proves that the average English voter isn't swayed by racist scaremongering.

Congrats to Mhairi and cheerio to wee Dougie A. Interesting times indeed; but the problem is that there will probably be no one to do a coalition with (latest figs suggesting slender Tory majority). Nice also to see UKIP get a pounding; proves that the average English voter isn't swayed by racist scaremongering.

And well done to you for voting for her MJ.

In terms of actual votes UKIP are now the third party in Britain. Disagree with their policies by all means, but this election (just like every other election) shows the dire need to change the voting system.

All these jags fans in Westminster hopefully means unreasonably large subsidies getting sent to Firhill soon!

• Like 1

In terms of actual votes UKIP are now the third party in Britain. Disagree with their policies by all means, but this election (just like every other election) shows the dire need to change the voting system.

All these jags fans in Westminster hopefully means unreasonably large subsidies getting sent to Firhill soon!

Agree totally with all that you say and, TBH, this point wasn't missed on me. Due to first-past-the post (rightly or wrongly) UKIP have little reward for their 4m votes; so have arguably been shafted... in more ways than one! Which, irrespective of personal politics, is slightly bonkers.

In a similar vein, it will also be interesting also to see how the Tory vote held up in Scotland. From memory, I'm pretty sure they pulled in 220k or thereabouts last time around; which suggests that there could still be a few out there... but, again, for no reward!

Would parliament be a better place with a UKIP presence? Possibly; even if just to disagree with their views (as shared by a sizeable number of Britons); but maybe one for another thread. But as you suggest, first-past-the-post clearly doesn't allow this to happen and provides unrepresentative democracy. Rant over.

Edited by Meister Jag

Big news worldwide. Extract below from today's Sydney Morning Herald website.

'Black, who pronounces her first name "Mary", is a self-confessed political "geek" and football fanatic. But she was criticised during the campaign after it was revealed her Twitter account still contained tweets professing her hatred of Celtic during a heated match with her beloved Partick Thistle.'

WE ARE THISTLE!

I remember speaking to a couple of Celtic fans from her constituency who were intending not to vote for her based on that tweet. When I told them it was in reaction to our ground being wrecked at a youth cup final they soon changed their minds. Glad to have done my bit!

• Like 1