Doolan's Boots - Any Takers?

ChiThistle

Hi all,

So I guess the end of year "meet your player and get their stuff" event for player sponsors is May 16th (after the home game with Killie) and once again I will need someone to take my place to meet Mr. Doolan and take home his signed boots (although you'll need to have the club post them to you, as he may need them on the 23rd!). So I guess the May 16th event becomes kind of a massive Player Zone then. I'm sure you could take a ball along and pick up autographs/photos and such.

Over the years I've typically tried to offer this to someone who would appreciate it more (maybe a die-hard fan who's been priced out of games or as something for a father/son or father/daughter to attend together), so if you or someone you know might be a good candidate, please send me a PM.

And yes, it's a legit offer. Yes, you can keep the boots. Yes, I've received permission from the Club's Events Coordinator, Anna Kerr (who seems really cool, btw) to do this.

Thanks much, and mon the Jags!

-Len

Edited by ChiThistle
  • Like 3

Hi all,

So I guess the end of year "meet your player and get their stuff" event for player sponsors is May 16th (after the home game with Killie) and once again I will need someone to take my place to meet Mr. Doolan and take home his signed boots (although you'll need to have the club post them to you, as he may need them on the 23rd!). So I guess the May 16th event becomes kind of a massive Player Zone then. I'm sure you could take a ball along and pick up autographs/photos and such.

Over the years I've typically tried to offer this to someone who would appreciate it more (maybe a die-hard fan who's been priced out of games or as something for a father/son or father/daughter to attend together), so if you or someone you know might be a good candidate, please send me a PM.

And yes, it's a legit offer. Yes, you can keep the boots. Yes, I've received permission from the Club's Events Coordinator, Anna Kerr (who seems really cool, btw) to do this.

Thanks much, and mon the Jags!

-Len

That's a generous offer. I hope somebody takes it up.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd bump this because I'm starting to wonder whether Doolan will even be requiring any boots this season.

Honestly, our best striker in several years, which he has shown repeatedly, and yet at every opportunity the manager automatically drops him for somebody else who clearly doesn't come even close (Stevenson), who flattered to deceive (Taylor) and now somebody who is basically an unknown (Pogba). I wouldn't be surprised if Doolan isn't getting mightily p*ssed off at Firhill. He seems to be "first reserve" to just about everybody else.

• Like 1

I said the exact same thing to my mate at the game yesterday. We're lucky we've still got Dools after the amount of times he's been ditched for lesser / unknown players. I reckon if that were me I'd have walked long ago.

He must've been going into this week thinking he's starting v Celtic. Comes to Sunday and he's on the bench so we can play Stevo up front (which doesn't work for me) and then doesn't even come on as a sub.

Pogba did do well when he came on, totally different presence with his strength. From early on though I felt we should've taken off Wilson, moved Stevo to play on the left where Wilson was and had Doolan up front.

Massive respect for Dools in that he always gives 100% when inevitably we call on him to come back into the team after his latest replacement needs dropped.

• Like 2

Getting dropped for Taylor is irrelevant, as Taylor was/is obviously better.

Getting dropped for Stevenson was fair, it was part of a game plan that ultimately didn't work out.

The fact that he never got on against Celtic is reasonable enough, considering he simply wouldn't have a chance against van Dijk and Boyata whereas Pogba, through his physicality, might have been able to do more.

Mountain out of a molehill stuff IMO, if Doolan is expecting to start every week then he'd be delusional.

He's a different option to Doolan, but not necessarily a better player.

Taylor's last 2 permanent moves have not worked out for him, he struggled to get a game for a league 2 side last season and a poor Sheffield United team before that. I would have happily taken him back, but he really isn't the messiah that so many on here make him out to be. Outside of Scotland he really hasn't done very much.

Edited by ian_mac

Is it not possible the conversation went something like:

Archie: You did a great job at Hamilton doing the thankless work up front of a lone striker, and ran yourself into the ground. It's likely that'll be the case against Celtic on Sunday, and I'd rather you were fresh for ICT midweek and got us a couple of goals there, so I'm resting you this weekend.

Dools: No bother Archie, I'll be raring to go on Wednesday.

(Meanwhile... The Fans: Aghhh, Dools has been dropped again! Why does he put up with this, we'll be lucky if he doesn't leave us.)

I guess we'll see on Wednesday though....

• Like 1

Is it not possible the conversation went something like:

Archie: You did a great job at Hamilton doing the thankless work up front of a lone striker, and ran yourself into the ground. It's likely that'll be the case against Celtic on Sunday, and I'd rather you were fresh for ICT midweek and got us a couple of goals there, so I'm resting you this weekend.

Dools: No bother Archie, I'll be raring to go on Wednesday.

(Meanwhile... The Fans: Aghhh, Dools has been dropped again! Why does he put up with this, we'll be lucky if he doesn't leave us.)

I guess we'll see on Wednesday though....

That would at least be semi-sensible. Keeping your best striker on the bench for most of the match and most matches is not sensible.

If Dools plays and contributes to a win in Inverness, then maybe Archie should indeed be given credit for the sacrifice on Sunday.

Never considered that. And maybe Pogba wasn't fully match fit to start the game.

Still highlights a need for another striker though. I wonder if we have any more targets or if we'd bring up someone like Nisbet.

it was reported that Pogba wasn't fully match fit.

I thought the loan deal Nisbet was on last season at East Stirling was ideal. He got valuable game time (nearly always 90mins) but was still eligible to play for the U20s. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes out on loan again.