Club Income Issues - A Braindump

Shuggie

Unless somebody has experienced a serious change in financial circumstances it doesn't seem likely that simple financial considerations would account for some week in-week-out regulars to disappear almost completely. Why don't they go to every second or third home game, if they can't afford every one? Probably people just get out of the habit; Sky Sports, computer, having a few more pints.... many alternatives, these days.

Valid point Jagger. 4 pints in the pub and a tenner on the coupon watching Gillette Soccer Saturday is around the equivalent of entry to Firhill. Other plus points is that it's nice and warm in a pub!!

Edited by Lindau

Do you know someone who has slipped away from Firhill?

Can you contact them and ask them to give you straight and honest answers to an informal fan survey?

What are you reasons for not coming along to watch the Jags?

What would bring you back?

I am a lapsed supporter. I used to go home and away with a group of mates. Myself and one other were diehards, the others chose their games. Big P moved down south coinciding with our plummet down the leagues and folks starting families. So if I couldn't persuade the others to go I hardly ever went on my own. Then got a mortgage. I basically got out of the habit. Even though the mortgage is mostly paid off I now won't go more than once every other month. I actually suggested to the wife to get me one of the multi game packages for Christmas last year. But by the time I mentioned it She had already got me something.

Basically it's habit and an urge to travel more means I am less inclined to spend money on matches.

I am a lapsed supporter. I used to go home and away with a group of mates. Myself and one other were diehards, the others chose their games. Big P moved down south coinciding with our plummet down the leagues and folks starting families. So if I couldn't persuade the others to go I hardly ever went on my own. Then got a mortgage. I basically got out of the habit. Even though the mortgage is mostly paid off I now won't go more than once every other month. I actually suggested to the wife to get me one of the multi game packages for Christmas last year. But by the time I mentioned it She had already got me something.

Basically it's habit and an urge to travel more means I am less inclined to spend money on matches.

Why is that, thisal. You may have answered that elsewhere but you're hinting it's no longer financial. Btw if every lapsed Jags fan turned up only once every two or three months we'd have bumper crowds.

Why is that, thisal. You may have answered that elsewhere but you're hinting it's no longer financial. Btw if every lapsed Jags fan turned up only once every two or three months we'd have bumper crowds.

As I said it's mostly habit. Although I can afford to go more regularly, I am no longer in the habit of spending over £100 a month going to games. I would rather spend it on an extra weekend or two away each year.

When I do go it tends to be just after pay day when I feeling flush. (Once a payday millionaire always ...)

p.s The quality of football in the last 3 seasons is as good I've seen in 40+ years. Would just like to see us do a bit better in the cups.

As I said it's mostly habit. Although I can afford to go more regularly, I am no longer in the habit of spending over £100 a month going to games. I would rather spend it on an extra weekend or two away each year.

When I do go it tends to be just after pay day when I feeling flush. (Once a payday millionaire always ...)

p.s The quality of football in the last 3 seasons is as good I've seen in 40+ years. Would just like to see us do a bit better in the cups.

Quite similar to myself a few too many moons ago. Had a holiday home and far too expensive not to get good use out of it. Tried to work it so I'd get to as many home games as possible but kids came first. Time you cost in fuel and other travel expenses something had to give.

I'd suggest the difference in being a season ticket holder and then only going to the odd games is a lot closer than you'd first think. Unfortunately it appears it's a lot less close going in the other direction. Put another way it would be complacent of the Club to believe that lapsed season ticket holders simply became regular pay at gate punters. That's mainly why I feel strongly that the Club shouldn't take ST holders for granted.

• Like 1

It might be an idea to run a poll here asking what category of fan you are. Regular, attendee, irregular attendee or no longer attend. If i get time later I'll start one off.

Can you add - Member of the Nomads and also (for those who have not joined the 560 of us Nomads) I live far far far away

One of my main criticisms of the TAG scheme at the time, and remains so, is that as far as I could gather it offered no real incentives for attracting people to matches. It was and remains, to my mind, a scheme which perhaps adds value to a season ticket and offers non-attendees an oportunity to buy into "the club".

Although it may raise additional revenue for the club ( and i sincerely hope it succeeds ), it appears to be fundamentaly another "pay for extras" scheme, rather than a innovative method of engaging.

I repeat, my contention, that while I do not think TAG or TAG plus are over priced for what they promise to deliver, they very possibly remain an extra charge that some household budgets will scrutinse closely. As a one off payment, my arguement was and remains that as a gift or personal purchase of Jaggy loyalty, a new strip, cashmere scarf, training gear or new tattoo might win the decision. And, if choosing to spread the payment, there might be reluctance to commit to another direct debit at what for many are still difficult financial times.

My thought was that there should be some kind of free-of-charge registration level of TAG which would amount to being placed on an e-mailing list and act as a source of targeted marketing and data gathering for the club. I was critical of some of the "extras" Tag offered, in particular the membership card. However, if that membership served some purpose and had perceptible value, as I have described in my post above* as a credit saving loyalty card, then I think there might be more demand for it and therefore a small charge for production an delivery would be justifiable and possibly more accessible to the more prudent fan.

I know we want to see season ticket sales rise. However, to make the comparison with the mobile phone industry, who are always desperate to get you signed up on a contract, the pay as you go market remains consistantly strong and the prefered option for over 30million(approx.) of all UK mobile users. PAYG is also seen by some industry experts as a vital entry level to build brand loyalty and to market more commited packages.

£10 to "join the club"?.. I think people might like the idea of being a "card carrying Jag" if it wasn't just a card. With the right discounts attached, i.e. better access to the BIG MATCH, they might not just "buy into the idea" they might, possibly, just... USE IT!

:fan: Fill Firhill for Thrills!

* "Or, i dunno how the new electronic gates work, but could there be a PATG season ticket that registers attendance and builds up some credit? ... £5-10 to register and receive your card, if we reduce prices for the northy, 2 credits for JHS attendance, 1 credit for northy, accumulating 6-8 credits can be redeemed for OF tickets or high profile games or other discounts and incentives, cup ties, club shop, even pie stall free pies!!! etc... "

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

Thanks Will. :smartass:

I dunno, price and workings would have to be considered and debated. However, I reckon if some kind of smart card was workable with the new turnstiles, I imagine there would be cost in start up, production, admin, delivery, holding stock and it would be a good opportunity to make some small profit for access to the scheme. I know they are pretty much handed out like sweeties now, but mobile sim cards used to be about £10, so I think that would still be an attractive pirce.

10 games seems a bit much to me before realising benefit. Although, I would imagine once one had purchased a card one might renew membership, at maybe £5 per season, and existing credit would roll-over so long as one kept the card "active". With only 18(?) home league games that really only leaves one potential match day benefit per season and an over 200quid outlay before return. As an attractive scheme to the "casual" or "lapsed" fan it would really need to start bearing fruit after maybe 3-5 attended games.

I envisage, rather than giving away free games, ( I'm sure most busineses baulk at the word free, and to be honest, i maintain that the kids go free although a great feature needs reviewed and once given it's hard to take away) offering good, appreciable, notable discounting on "bigger" games, (old firm, cup ties) where price might still be a barrier for some (when was the last time we sold out for celtic?) for less "credits" would be the best way to go. It would also lend support to defending charging a little excess for bigger games. Y'know, the "why more for the celtic game?" grumble is answered by "well, join up and save."

It sets targets and deadlines for people to build up and use their credit. Gives greater opportunity for the credit to be redeemed and users to feel the benefit and possibly motivate greater attendance, in a "I'll just go to this maybe-aye-maybe-naw game just to build up my credit for the upcomming cup tie" kind of way... y'know?

E.T.A. ... and I wouldn't neccesarily link it or lump it in with existing TAG packages. Maybe brand it as another level of TAG, although I dunno how good the TAG brand is... (what is it something to do with Hungarian supporters clubs? I get the link, but it don't shout diehard Jag to me). However existing pakages should remain at the same price or loose their value.... Ya over generous big saftie!!! :thumbsup2:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz