Players Released

Fawlty Towers

Now that makes no sense. He does know that Hibs will be playing in the Championship next season and if Rangers get promoted there will be next to no publicity on that league. Not the best career move for him.

And of course no guarantee that Hibs will win promotion next season either.

Perhaps Archie's strategy is to have fewer, better quality players up to the January transfer window, rather than pack out the wage bill with additional poorer quality players. That would leave extra money to bring in players during the January transfer window (at which Archie is adept) That strategy may also encourage bigger crowds during the early part of the season on the back of good results, thus adding to the coffers.

Plenty of rumours going around that Higgy is going to Hibs!

... who will presumably double or substantially increase his wage. That's a serious point btw; Saturday's body language as much as said he was away. When on song as entertaining a player as I've seen at Firhill in years. A great talent and I seriously wish him well at whatever club he joins.

Hate to say it, but next season will be another survival year. If the dropping attendances figures are to be believed (do the stats ever lie?) then there must be an income issue; which, I guess, filters down to the budget available to pay staff and players. We should maybe bear this in mind before the first thread appears about changing the management structure.

Sorry to put a downer on things after a great season... But nobody said being a Thistle fan was a passport to a happy life in Glasgow. You just get free enlightenment and a thick skin :D

We ended up this season two positions higher than we need to be to survive so we've a little leeway. Also we (in the end) stayed up comfortably so are not one of those clubs who are on a down slope even when they survive. And a bonus is St Mirren are relegated so that's 6 points we're less likely to throw away at home now. :D

I've no idea who the management will bring in to replace those leaving as they've brought in guys I'd have never thought of each season. But the important thing is - and I'm sure the manager realises this - they may not be better than those leaving but they should have the same good attitude and work ethic the retained squad will have. Also important (and I know I keep going on about this) is that though we've lost key players we've still got a good spine from last season's squad.

Edited by Mr Bunny

It was interesting to hear Stevie Thomson saying on Sportscene earlier that most Clubs now only want to offer 1 year contracts. I wonder if we fall into that bracket also, only willing to offer 1 year instead of 2 to our out of contract stars? Booth and Osman both only signing 1 year deals. Have Higgy, Conrad and Scott only been offered 1 year deals hence why they are seeking pastures new? It'll be interesting to see what length the deals that are signed over the next couple of weeks.

Some players will have been offered two year contracts, as Elliott was, some will have been one. I really can't see any possibility of Higgy and Balatoni only being offered a one year deal. I heard Osman was given the option of two but only committed to one.

I don't think it has been a case of offering players less money that what they are on just now. I'm pretty sure players are being offered similar deals to what they are on at the moment but some rightly feel they can get more money elsewhere.

Having a few lesser paid youngsters in the squad will obviously leave aside more cash to bring in replacements for the ones that are leaving. Having one or two less in the squad will do the same.

Craigen was offered 1 yr. Who makes up these stories about trimming squads etc?

Archie in Sunday's Scottish Sun suggests otherwise.

He said: "Craigen's been outstanding for us.

"He scored a pivotal goal for this club against Morton when we won the league.

"He's been fantastic but restraints to our budget meant we couldn't keep him on. I would've loved to keep him, but money's getting tighter and tighter and we've also got to let the young ones come through. Jamesis a bit of a casualty of that.

"But he's been an outstanding servant who gives so much to the team. He's also a lovely boy so making that decision was a very hard one.

"The game had an end-of-season look about it — we had a changed team but we created a lot of chances, and considering we'd three guys making their first starts, it was pleasing.

"It lets us know that even though we're going to lose a few bodies at the end of the season we've got some decent ones coming through."

I wasn't at the game yesterday, but I must admit I've liked the look of David Wilson every time I've seen him, and I personally rate him higher than I do McDaid, so would be very happy to see him be given a good chance at it next season. Likewise with Liam Lindsay who I think will be the best thing to come out of Firhill in the last few years, looks to be a cracking player. Scully is an odd one, the only time I've ever seen him play was against Queens Park in the 5-4 game when every shot he faced was a goal just about so I've never seen that much to judge him but he seems to have been outstanding at Dunfermline, and if we've told them he won't be back then it could signal that we think he's ready?

Wilson didn't impress me too much yesterday. Not going to judge him on his first start though, especially an end of season match. He has looked capable when he has come on in previous games. Looks a bit lightweight to me but so did Banzo when he first came on to the scene. It looks like the manager has faith in him though, so let's wait and see.

I haven't seen Scully play for Dunfermline apart from once on TV so I can only go by what the Pars fans say and a lot of them think he is ready to make the step up. Could be a bit of a risk starting the season with him but would free up a wage elsewhere.

Archie in Sunday's Scottish Sun suggests otherwise.

He said: "Craigen's been outstanding for us.

"He scored a pivotal goal for this club against Morton when we won the league.

"He's been fantastic but restraints to our budget meant we couldn't keep him on. I would've loved to keep him, but money's getting tighter and tighter and we've also got to let the young ones come through. Jamesis a bit of a casualty of that.

"But he's been an outstanding servant who gives so much to the team. He's also a lovely boy so making that decision was a very hard one.

"The game had an end-of-season look about it — we had a changed team but we created a lot of chances, and considering we'd three guys making their first starts, it was pleasing.

"It lets us know that even though we're going to lose a few bodies at the end of the season we've got some decent ones coming through."

Sorry, you must be making that up...

Our average attendance is down hugely this season compared to last: http://www.worldfoot...ue-2013-2014/1/.

Notable that even the Highland clubs have overtaken us this season in ave. attendance.

Considering that Hearts and Hibs were 2nd and 4th in attendances last year, it's not unreasonable to think we've partially missed the away crowds those teams can bring, along with probably drumming up a bit more interest from our own fairweather fans. Having Hearts and Sevco in the league next season would help our thinning finances, like it or not.

Anyone who wants an "Old Firm-free" season ticket should consider if it would really be worthwhile, especially when our club is in dire need of all possible money from home gates. Seems a bit like cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Edited by Juan Carlos I

I spoke to Craigen at the sponsor event. He categorically said he had been offered a 1 year deal but wanted more playing time. Maybe he was saving face, but he doesn't strike me as that type.

Perhaps something changed by the time the released players were published. Very odd...

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

It is possible he was offered a 1 yr deal and rejected it because he wanted more £, a longer deal or both as well as being told he was a likely starter (form dependant) - clearly he wouldn't give £ as a reason for rejecting it if asked. At the same time Archie may have been keen to offer him a deal on our terms but couldn't come to an agreement with him hence we've let him go...either way both versions above probably have an element of truth to them.

Liked him as a player effort wise but he wasn't top quality so clearly replaceable, it is probably too early to rely heavily on the academy at this stage but squad players (of which Craigen was) should start to be made up of these young guys sooner rather than later as part of theirs and our clubs development.

It is possible he was offered a 1 yr deal and rejected it because he wanted more £, a longer deal or both as well as being told he was a likely starter (form dependant) - clearly he wouldn't give £ as a reason for rejecting it if asked. At the same time Archie may have been keen to offer him a deal on our terms but couldn't come to an agreement with him hence we've let him go...either way both versions above probably have an element of truth to them.

Liked him as a player effort wise but he wasn't top quality so clearly replaceable, it is probably too early to rely heavily on the academy at this stage but squad players (of which Craigen was) should start to be made up of these young guys sooner rather than later as part of theirs and our clubs development.

None of the young guys on Saturday looked remotely ready for 1st team action. Hendry looked the best of them and if he fills out a bit he could certainly make the grade. Wilson was poor but having seen him a few times coming on as a sub, he certainly has a chance as well. Young McLaughlin has a fair bit to go judged on the short period he was on, but the club obviously think a lot of him. Don't think any of them will be ready for next season but the first two anyway, might get a fair bit of bench time.

SOD is the only one that bothers me. Higgy has been poor this season, though I would have been happy if he had stayed.

I agree. I think all the others are replaceable. I can't see us getting anybody in who gives us what O'Donnell does.

Kilmarnock are close to finalising the signings of Partick Thistle striker Kallum Higginbotham and Hearts midfielder Scott Robinson. (The Herald, print edition)

Considering how outspoken he was about the state of Hamilton's artificial pitch I'd be amazed if he'd sign for a team who play on the same surface.

Kilmarnock are close to finalising the signings of Partick Thistle striker Kallum Higginbotham and Hearts midfielder Scott Robinson. (The Herald, print edition) Considering how outspoken he was about the state of Hamilton's artificial pitch I'd be amazed if he'd sign for a team who play on the same surface.

If the £ signs are good then guess we all can make suitable adjustments!!

If the £ signs are good then guess we all can make suitable adjustments!!

Considering Killie's recent financial problems (now much reduced admittedly) and their home gates being only better than us by about 500 on average he could hardly be being offered a huge salary increase (assuming story accurate). The Robertson thing makes more sense as Locke will know him from his time at Hearts and he can offer SPL football if he's being let go by Hearts.

Edited by Mr Bunny