Clyde's Youth Set Up

billko

Thanks Billko. An excellent explanation of how the system - and the finance of that system - works.

Your comment re youth policy being first thing to be cut back when money is short certainly applied to us in the past and from what you say it seems to apply to the SFA too(though with chummy visits to Qatar and over-charging fans for Scotland games I wonder how hard up they really are?).

Thanks Billko. An excellent explanation of how the system - and the finance of that system - works.

Your comment re youth policy being first thing to be cut back when money is short certainly applied to us in the past and from what you say it seems to apply to the SFA too(though with chummy visits to Qatar and over-charging fans for Scotland games I wonder how hard up they really are?).

Those trips to Qatar were important you know for the future of our game.here. :rolleyes:

Scotland getting back to the major tornaments and reaping the finacial rewards of qualifying will hopefully see money filter down to the grassroots level of the game so the youngsters can benefit from it.

Clyde maybe are in bigger financial bother than just scrapping their Academy through the lack of SFA funding, but iI would like to think the governing body helped them as much as they could for Clyde to at least keep their youth set up going.

At my sons age group over the last few years they were always one of the strongest sides and everyone really looked forward to.these very tough games.

They will be a big miss to the Club Academy Tier

Clyde have sold on one player in 15 years from the youth setup - Craig Bryson. Complete waste of money when it was producing nothing.

Anyone know how many players came though and played from Clyde though? Doesn't always have to be about selling on players though obviously in Scottish football's current financial state most cubs are looking to sell on good young players if they can develop them.

Interesting that St Mirren have the highest rated academy out with Celtic and Rangers.

Interesting that Rangers have such a highly rated academy considering how crap they are at bringing on young players. I suppose facilities have a big deal to do with it. McDowall mind you is rated with coaching youngsters and maybe he's got a decent system in place.

Anyone know how many players came though and played from Clyde though? Doesn't always have to be about selling on players though obviously in Scottish football's current financial state most cubs are looking to sell on good young players if they can develop them.

I couldn't tell you this and couldn't tell you how many players Clyde have lost to bigger clubs who then don't develop those boys or know how many players Clyde have took on after they have been discarded by bigger clubs

It's very easy to say any Academy is a waste of money when we really haven't developed any top players at most clubs for a long time of the calibre we once did.

Clyde like all clubs hope to unearth that gem but it's probably more to do with the system and the mentallity in the game we have here and the old boy network of coaches and dinosaur managers who are really to blame.

We develop youth players to a good standard up to a certain age and then we fall away through a system that has been scared to promote youth forward to first teams when a 30 plus year old journeyman is seen as a better bet.

Players who have worked hard right through the system become disillusioned with the game and lose hope in ever making it.

We need coaches and mangaers who not scared of fans who want a game where it's 100mph, win at all costs and be brave to trust the youth players and give them the confidence to push more of them forward to the first team

Kids are developed to a high technical standard but when they reach the older age groups the game seems to change with the football being sacraficed for a game that gets us nowhere and turns folk away from the game due to the quality they are watching.

It's not Clyde's Academy that is not working it's youth development as a whole in Scotland that has failed for decades and we need to concentrate promoting better forward thinking coaching and get these young coaches into placements at all the clubs up and down the country.

Edited by billko
  • Like 2

I couldn't tell you this and couldn't tell you how many players Clyde have lost to bigger clubs who then don't develop those boys or know how many players Clyde have took on after they have been discarded by bigger clubs

It's very easy to say any Academy is a waste of money when we really haven't developed any top players at most clubs for a long time of the calibre we once did.

Clyde like all clubs hope to unearth that gem but it's probably more to do with the system and the mentallity in the game we have here and the old boy network of coaches and dinosaur managers who are really to blame.

We develop youth players to a good standard up to a certain age and then we fall away through a system that has been scared to promote youth forward to first teams when a 30 plus year old journeyman is seen as a better bet.

Players who have worked hard right through the system become disillusioned with the game and lose hope in ever making it.

We need coaches and mangaers who not scared of fans who want a game where it's 100mph, win at all costs and be brave to trust the youth players and give them the confidence to push more of them forward to the first team

Kids are developed to a high technical standard but when they reach the older age groups the game seems to change with the football being sacraficed for a game that gets us nowhere and turns folk away from the game due to the quality they are watching.

It's not Clyde's Academy that is not working it's youth development as a whole in Scotland that has failed for decades and we need to concentrate promoting better forward thinking coaching and get these young coaches into placements at all the clubs up and down the country.

Excellent points - though I think there are some exceptions like Dundee United (and hopefully us - we won the old1st division with a very young side but have brought in - admittedly good - older players as when we moved up, hopefully we start giving the likes of Wilson and McDaid more game time in the new season) I think you are spot on.

Things have been improved lately but there is still a massive financial gap between the Scottish premier league and the championship (or 1st and 2nd divisions as we ought to call them) which leads to a fear of playing youngsters, especially at the bottom end of the top division.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Excellent points - though I think there are some exceptions like Dundee United (and hopefully us - we won the old1st division with a very young side but have brought in - admittedly good - older players as when we moved up, hopefully we start giving the likes of Wilson and McDaid more game time in the new season) I think you are spot on.

Things have been improved lately but there is still a massive financial gap between the Scottish premier league and the championship (or 1st and 2nd divisions as we ought to call them) which leads to a fear of playing youngsters, especially at the bottom end of the top division.

Hopefully more teams see youth as the way forward and we do better at developing more throughout the whole system up here.

I'm sure a scout from down south (think it was Brighton) who was at one of the exit trials at the 18's / 19's age group commented on how we lose so many players at this age in this country and in Europe they do things differently and will develop boys beyond this age level as they continue to develop and prepare them for first team football.

Camlachie might be a decent bet if you're looking to play at BC level for a season. Admittedly lost track in recent years but Paul Harvey (ex-Hibs, Raith...and Man United!) was heading the youth teams there a couple of years back. Watched them a couple of times when Darryl Meggatt was playing for them before he went to QP. Could be a good pathway back to pro youth too if Harvey is still there.

Apologies Armand as I just noticed this post and thanks for the suggestion of Camlachie

I checked their website and don't think they compete at U16 (players born 2000) age group.