Good Players We've Had Direct From The Old Firm

macca

The other thread about Rangers cast offs has got me thinking , I know wev've had some really poor players from them over the years but what about good players ,so I'll start it off Kenny Watson (Rangers ). Gerry Britton,Davie Elliott,Andy Murdoch (Celtic)

I think we should only count reasonably established OF players for this. Kenny watson would be number one for me. 60+ appearances for rangers albeit over a 4.5 year period then went on to give us great service, including a period when we were in the doldrums and he practically kept us together single-handed.

The the likes of Niven and Ritchie, O'Hara, can't really think of anyone else as they were either youth players or fringe players who hardly got a game at their original club. Colin Jackson? Not with us that long - half a season? But did good service.

Santala was a remarkable player. Technically dreadful yet he seemed to have the strikers instinct to be in the right place at the right time. Think he played about 15 minutes at centre half before the bunnet stuck him up front just to get him away from our defence.

Will always remember Santala coming off the bench against Stirling Albion at Firhill. Mark McNally had been dominant throughout the match and had kept a strikeforce of Stephen McConalogue and Stevie Nicholas very quiet, not that it was a difficult task. Santala came on - initially at centre-half, as Ian said above - and chased a ball that was running through to the keeper. McNally stepped across to block the run and Santala absolutely clattered him - nothing illegal, just sheer brute force. He never even budged as McNally flew to the floor.

I mind Santala being centreback up at Peterhead, the day we played one of the most unfit trialists (Noble?) that I've ever seen. I knew then that it was going to be a long hard season.

The first game at Alloa, Santala was near unplayable. Well in that division at least. Can't remember how many goals he scored but he was announced MotM. A very rare occurrence when a visiting player receives that accolade.

Created havoc in the box. So it was decided we'd be better off if he was in the opponents box..

I remember I felt the same about Colin MacAdam. Though he did turn out a better player than Santala. Colin was one of these players that needed a bit of rehabilitation after being part of what must have been the dirtiest Motherwell team in history and possibly the dirtiest Scottish team in history (with the possible exception of the Rangers team that kicked and head-butted Dundee United off the park while the ref did an excellent impersonation of Lord Nelson).