Lyle Taylor (Part 2) Signs

Lindau

Don't think we were ever going to be his first choice. Good luck big man. Onwards and upwards Jags.

Just shows you the gap in wages between the lowest league in England and the top league in Scotland. He gave us good service for two half seasons, now time to move on and get at least one more striker in.

well at least it wasn't for Dundee Utd or a team that finished below us in the league.

Agreed. Would have been great if we had got him on a contract but happy that he won't be plying his trade for another top league Scottish side

Even if we sign a striker that's a notch below Taylor in quality we'll at lest have him for the full season. We were eighth last season without any worthwhile input from Eccleston and Taylor, who I rate, well his goals only effectively earned us a couple of points. I'd hope we get someone in strong like Taylor but still with pace and energy to spare as opposed to the Graham/Sutton type of player.

Even if we sign a striker that's a notch below Taylor in quality we'll at lest have him for the full season. We were eighth last season without any worthwhile input from Eccleston and Taylor, who I rate, well his goals only effectively earned us a couple of points. I'd hope we get someone in strong like Taylor but still with pace and energy to spare as opposed to the Graham/Sutton type of player.

I can think of at least 3 points immediately that we wouldn't have gotten without Taylor, the 1-0 v Inverness. Then there's his 2 goals against Motherwell although you could argue we'd have taken those anyway. He also played a huge part in the win against Dundee United, setting up the first and I think (if memory serves me correctly) that it was his running that earned the corner for the second. So that's arguably at least 9 points directly or indirectly earned through Taylor's contributions.

A striker can earn points without scoring the goal. His contribution will be missed. He's not irreplaceable obviously, and if we can get someone who holds up play as well and with a bit of composure in front of goal then he probably won't be missed too much, but to say he only earned us a couple of points is nonsense.

• Like 2

Oh well, Thanks Lyle.

I liked his bustling style and effort, but looking over some of last season's highlights, he missed more than a few what looked like relatively simple chances for a good striker, especially one-on-ones with the keeper.

In Archie we (now have to) trust!

Just shows you the gap in wages between the lowest league in England and the top league in Scotland. He gave us good service for two half seasons, now time to move on and get at least one more striker in.

Add to which Wimbledon (my English team, btw) are fan-owned and have no major sponsors, and we get a perspective of just how much of a Third World economy Scottish football is / has become. The Dons still ground share with a very modest Kingstonian outfit a good tier or two below them and in a relatively obscure part of Surrey.

Disappointed as I am in us missing out on signing LT, there isn't another club anywhere I'd rather he signed for. Monni Wombles.

Am I the only one who is not too bothered about missing out on Taylor ? I know he is a good player and we all know exactly what he will add to the squad, but that is the problem. We know he is not, and never will be a 20 goal a season striker. By not getting Taylor, there is still a chance that we will find that gem, we may not, but there is still a chance. That could be Nisbet or Duggan or Alabi or even this Monserrat dude that played last night. Who knows ? It is down to Archie and his scouts to follow up on some of the other targets they were tracking and, just maybe, find us a hero.

Glass half full - guilty. Niaive - probably. but I'd rather have hope than throw in the towel just because one player didn't sign.

Duggan doesn't seem to be featuring pre season or even being mentioned by the manager. Don't know if he is injured or just not in Archie's plans. Nisbet and McLaughlin are still very young but Duggan is 21 and surely if he has a future at the club he needs to be involved if available.

Duggan doesn't seem to be featuring pre season or even being mentioned by the manager. Don't know if he is injured or just not in Archie's plans. Nisbet and McLaughlin are still very young but Duggan is 21 and surely if he has a future at the club he needs to be involved if available.

In the video interview with Archie on the website he mentions Duggan is injured.

The club have never confirmed he's still with the club but I'd assume because Archie spoke of him, he's signed a one-year deal.

In the video interview with Archie on the website he mentions Duggan is injured.

The club have never confirmed he's still with the club but I'd assume because Archie spoke of him, he's signed a one-year deal.

Thanks, haven't seen that.

If that's the case, and he feels Duggan is good enough to have a contract, do we really need another striker?

Am I the only one who is not too bothered about missing out on Taylor ? I know he is a good player and we all know exactly what he will add to the squad, but that is the problem. We know he is not, and never will be a 20 goal a season striker. By not getting Taylor, there is still a chance that we will find that gem, we may not, but there is still a chance. That could be Nisbet or Duggan or Alabi or even this Monserrat dude that played last night. Who knows ? It is down to Archie and his scouts to follow up on some of the other targets they were tracking and, just maybe, find us a hero. Glass half full - guilty. Niaive - probably. but I'd rather have hope than throw in the towel just because one player didn't sign.

Good sense in what you've written there.

Am I the only one who is not too bothered about missing out on Taylor ? I know he is a good player and we all know exactly what he will add to the squad, but that is the problem. We know he is not, and never will be a 20 goal a season striker.

He scored more than 20 in his last full season of football at Falkirk. The last 2 seasons he's played around half a season or less for us, so while his ratio is low we can't really judge as he came in later in the season both times