Stats Watch 2015-16

The Jukebox Rebel

Here we go for season #141. Will Glasgow's oldest professional football club have a happy 140th in February? Can Doolz go double figures again and become folkloric? Can the Arch match Lambie's 3-in-a-row top-flight stint? Will Abdul go up to lift the Scottish Cup? We'll be there all the way. :fan:

I'll keep the post-match stats coming throughout the campaign, and I shall do my best to make sure we don't miss any records or milestones... please jump in with as many bits n bobs n comments as poss, or if you think something may be amiss... four eyes are better than two and, as always, it’ll be ten times better for not just me banging on. ;)

:detective:Pre-Season July round-up

• 14th: Thistle play non-Scottish opposition for the 24th season-in-a-row, further extending the club record.
  • 14th: At Eastleigh, Thistle play their most southerly game in the British Isles since visiting Fratton Park in 1972.
  • 14th: There are five debutants; Tomáš Cerný, Gary Miller (trialist), David Amoo, James Alabi (trialist) and Terrell Miller (trialist).
  • 14th: Tomáš Cerný becomes the first Thistle goalie since to register a clean-sheet on his debut since Glenn Daniels did the same in the end of season stalemate at the Rock in May 2013.
  • 14th: Terrell Miller becomes the latest full-internationalist to have played for Partick Thistle, and the 118th known to me. With his 6-minute stint, the Montserratian takes over from Peter Cormack (who previously held the record with his 20 minutes at Glebe Park in 1983) as the internationalist with the least amount of game time for the Partick Thistle first team.
  • 18th: At the Falkirk Stadium, Ryan Scully, the longest serving player at Firhill, registers his first appearance since the 5-1 "red 'n' yellow day" victory against Dunfermline, 2¾ years ago. He registers his 4th clean sheet in 11 games for the Thistle first team.
  • 18th: There are three debutants; Durrell Berry (trialist), Kevin Nisbet and Matthew McInally. James Penrice appears on the team-sheet for the first time.
  • 25th: Versus Rotherham, James Penrice becomes the 9th debutant of the pre-season.
  • 25th: From fully 175 yards out, Welshy nets for the first time since the seven to nil routing of Airdrie United in October 2012. Get in. :love:

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel
  • Like 4

DOES HE KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING?

BrianColvinF03042013.jpg

Top ref, Brain Cavedin, seemingly devoid of the ability to think laterally. :sarcastic slow-clap emoticon required:

:detective: 01.08.2015 Hamilton Academical 0 Partick Thistle 0 (SPFL Premiership - game 1)

• Freddy becomes the first Jag to be sent off in an opening League game since Willie Kinniburgh, who was sent off in the 41st minute of the 4-0 reversal at Starks Park 5 years ago. Freddy's the first Thistle player that I know of to be sent off in the first competitive game of the season, although my records are far from comprehensive for the 20th century. Anyone?
  • Brian Colvin, who was 88.2% against Thistle last term, strengthens his place at the very bottom of our referee favours table. His decision-making has consistently went against Thistle since he first darkened our door in 2011 - only once in 11 games have Thistle been favoured by the man. Points wise (1 for a yellow, 4 for a red, 5 for a penalty), he's sitting at 68.2% against us, setting himself apart from the crop of 15 whistlers who are currently on rotation for Thistle games. It's a shocking stat when you consider that refs shouldn't be too far away from 50-50 in the long-term when decisions are said to "even themselves out".
  • Thistle's run of 44 competitive games without back to back draws comes to an end.
  • In the "all-games" category, Jags have now drawn four matches in-a-row. A draw next week would equal the all-time club-record run of five, which was set in 1911, and matched in 1921 and 1978.
  • Thistle are currently on an "all-game" run of 4 away days without conceding a goal, the best run since 5 games in 1991. The all-time club record was 6-in-a-row set between January and March, 1983.
  • Liam retains his amazing record of remaining undefeated in competitive first-team action for Partick Thistle, which now stretches to 4 seasons-in-a-row! He has played exactly one competitive game per season since 2012-13, all of which have been drawn.
  • Thistle are now 16 competitive games without a win in their away strip, a run which stretches all the way back to 2012.
  • In competitive action, Thistle are 7 GAMES WITHOUT A GOAL in their away strip, a record Shirley?
  • Jags have now played 27 games without going backwards in the table (where the streak contains at least some positive progress), 3rd Dec 2014 to date. It's the longest run since the club record, 29 games, 7th Oct 2000 to 4th Aug 2001. With the recorded "post-game / end-of-day" position now being 4th=, only a victory against Celtic will do if the Jags are to have a chance of beating this crazy record.
  • Stuart is the new squad leader for consecutive competitive appearances, currently sitting at 19. It's the longest run since Stephen O'Donnell's 29, set 8th Nov 2014 to 23rd May 2015.
  • And finally, to finish on a happy note, Thistle’s 23-year 9-game unbeaten run for top-flight openers, which began in 1992, duly continues, and is the longest by time-span amongst our Premiership rivals. Rangers (1872), in 1981, were the last side to defeat the Jags in a top flight opener.

Good question G SUS, but you might need to give me a year or two on that one. It sounds like a dirty job for the MySQL database that I'm still dreaming about...

Kevin Nisbet (18 years, 4 months, 24 days)

Jordan Leyden (19 years, 4 months, 23 days)

Declan McDaid (19 years, 8 months, 10 days)

David Wilson (20 years, 10 months, 26 days)

Jack Hendry (20 years, 2 months, 25 days)

Gary Fraser (21 years, 0 months, 30 days)

Ryan Scully (22 years, 9 months, 3 days)

Encouraging in many ways.

Re the question, I doubt it would be the youngest - it would only take 1 teenager in the single sub days to beat the average.

Good question G SUS, but you might need to give me a year or two on that one. It sounds like a dirty job for the MySQL database that I'm still dreaming about...

Kevin Nisbet (18 years, 4 months, 24 days)

Jordan Leyden (19 years, 4 months, 23 days)

Declan McDaid (19 years, 8 months, 10 days)

David Wilson (20 years, 10 months, 26 days)

Jack Hendry (20 years, 2 months, 25 days)

Gary Fraser (21 years, 0 months, 30 days)

Ryan Scully (22 years, 9 months, 3 days)

Encouraging in many ways.

Re the question, I doubt it would be the youngest - it would only take 1 teenager in the single sub days to beat the average.

Having had a browse it appears to be the youngest top flight bench when we have to select at least 5 subs. The only other real contender was the last day of the 2013/14 season but Paul Gallacher being on that bench destroys the average age.

Jack Hendry plays in another nil nil draw? Still to concede a goal in first team games when the wunderkind is playing 8)

According to Twitter(so might be total nonsense), Jack and Freddie are the only 2 players to keep clean sheets on their first 2 top flight games for Thistle since 1976. Would you agree with that TJR?

DOES HE KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING?

BrianColvinF03042013.jpg

Top ref, Brain Cavedin, seemingly devoid of the ability to think laterally. :sarcastic slow-clap emoticon required:

:detective: 01.08.2015 Hamilton Academical 0 Partick Thistle 0 (SPFL Premiership - game 1)

• Freddy becomes the first Jag to be sent off in an opening League game since Willie Kinniburgh, who was sent off in the 41st minute of the 4-0 reversal at Starks Park 5 years ago. Freddy's the first Thistle player that I know of to be sent off in the first competitive game of the season, although my records are far from comprehensive for the 20th century. Anyone?
  • Brian Colvin, who was 88.2% against Thistle last term, strengthens his place at the very bottom of our referee favours table. His decision-making has consistently went against Thistle since he first darkened our door in 2011 - only once in 11 games have Thistle been favoured by the man. Points wise (1 for a yellow, 4 for a red, 5 for a penalty), he's sitting at 68.2% against us, setting himself apart from the crop of 15 whistlers who are currently on rotation for Thistle games. It's a shocking stat when you consider that refs shouldn't be too far away from 50-50 in the long-term when decisions are said to "even themselves out".
  • Thistle's run of 44 competitive games without back to back draws comes to an end.
  • In the "all-games" category, Jags have now drawn four matches in-a-row. A draw next week would equal the all-time club-record run of five, which was set in 1911, and matched in 1921 and 1978.
  • Thistle are currently on an "all-game" run of 4 away days without conceding a goal, the best run since 5 games in 1991. The all-time club record was 6-in-a-row set between January and March, 1983.
  • Liam retains his amazing record of remaining undefeated in competitive first-team action for Partick Thistle, which now stretches to 4 seasons-in-a-row! He has played exactly one competitive game per season since 2012-13, all of which have been drawn.
  • Thistle are now 16 competitive games without a win in their away strip, a run which stretches all the way back to 2012.
  • In competitive action, Thistle are 7 GAMES WITHOUT A GOAL in their away strip, a record Shirley?
  • Jags have now played 27 games without going backwards in the table (where the streak contains at least some positive progress), 3rd Dec 2014 to date. It's the longest run since the club record, 29 games, 7th Oct 2000 to 4th Aug 2001. With the recorded "post-game / end-of-day" position now being 4th=, only a victory against Celtic will do if the Jags are to have a chance of beating this crazy record.
  • Stuart is the new squad leader for consecutive competitive appearances, currently sitting at 19. It's the longest run since Stephen O'Donnell's 29, set 8th Nov 2014 to 23rd May 2015.
  • And finally, to finish on a happy note, Thistle’s 23-year 9-game unbeaten run for top-flight openers, which began in 1992, duly continues, and is the longest by time-span amongst our Premiership rivals. Rangers (1872), in 1981, were the last side to defeat the Jags in a top flight opener.

Dougie Bell was sent off against Morton at Cappielow on the opening day of the 1991-1992 season.

We were actually a goal,down in that game before the season was officially underway. The game kicked off before 3pm and we lost the opening goal in a 2-1 defeat inside the first minute.

All ended well though as we won promotion at the season's end.m

Not entirely relevant, but I recall that in season 93-94 Ray Farningham was red-carded early in the season at the city end late on v the East End ugly sister following a gratuitous dive by one Charles Nicholas Esq.

As Ray trudged off, the MOTM was announced as...................Ray Farningham. Unusually he had been playing sweeper that day.

He was transferred on the Monday to Dundee in another Lambie 'masterstroke', probably not unrelated to a certain legal issue which also involved Mr Irons.

Edited by Barney Rubble

I ******* love Stats Watch. Great to have it back!

^^^^^ this.

the preseason statswatch post, and that of saturdays game, are tremendous. one is a much happier read, but statswatch has proved cockwomble colvin is anti thistle. but of course, all those in attendance on saturday exited ndp in full knowledge of that, having endured ninety minutes of one set of rules for us, completely different set of rules for them. as football supporters, consistency of rules being applied is all any supporter can ask for. someone needs to remind colvin of this.

According to Twitter(so might be total nonsense), Jack and Freddie are the only 2 players to keep clean sheets on their first 2 top flight games for Thistle since 1976. Would you agree with that TJR?

I'd say they were the 5th and 7th to do so since '76. None went to 3. If Jack does it on Sunday, I'll do the pre '76 research after I've sobered up!

George Mackie

11.09.1976 Heart of Midlothian [a] D0-0 (SFL Premier Division - game 2)

18.09.1976 Motherwell [h] W2-0 (SFL Premier Division - game 3)

Dixie Deans

26.03.1977 Heart of Midlothian [h] W2-0 (SFL Premier Division - game 28)

30.03.1977 Motherwell [h] D0-0 (SFL Premier Division - game 29)

Tony Higgins

15.03.1980 Rangers [a] D0-0 (SFL Premier Division - game 25)

29.03.1980 Kilmarnock [a] W1-0 (SFL Premier Division - game 26)

Bobby Torrance

11.10.1980 Dundee United [a] D0-0 (SFL Premier Division - game 9)

18.10.1980 Heart of Midlothian [a] W1-0 (SFL Premier Division - game 10)

Freddy Frans

25.10.2014 St Johnstone [h] D0-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 10)

08.11.2014 St Mirren [a] W1-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 12)

Ben Richards-Everton

21.03.2015 Inverness Caledonian Thistle [h] W1-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 30)

23.05.2015 Motherwell [a] D0-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 38)

Jack Hendry

23.05.2015 Motherwell [a] D0-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 38)

01.08.2015 Hamilton Academical [a] D0-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 1)

What is the earliest we have had a guy red carded? Kenny Milne was sent off after 3 mins vs Ross County in the league cup back in 2004, what about our earliest sending off in the league?

I hope that the great Jaggy database will be able to answer this one day. It continues to build, a work in progress. Thanks to some great work by a fellow Jaggy statto, so far we think we've got 99% of them covered since the 1890s to the 1950s and from the late 90s onwards. It'd be a big surprise if we find a faster sending off than Kenny Milne in Thistle's history, but you never know. As for the League, the earliest that I have a timing for is a tie:

David Lilley (18 mins)

16.08.2003 Kilmarnock [a] L1-2 (Scottish Premier League - game 2)

Alan Archibald (18 mins)

11.12.2010 Ross County [h] D1-1 (SFL First Division - game 14)

Dougie Bell was sent off against Morton at Cappielow on the opening day of the 1991-1992 season.

We were actually a goal,down in that game before the season was officially underway. The game kicked off before 3pm and we lost the opening goal in a 2-1 defeat inside the first minute.

All ended well though as we won promotion at the season's end.

Right, negatives into positives, we'll take that as a lucky omen. :happy2:

Not entirely relevant, but I recall that in season 93-94 Ray Farningham was red-carded early in the season at the city end late on v the East End ugly sister following a gratuitous dive by one Charles Nicholas Esq.

As Ray trudged off, the MOTM was announced as...................Ray Farningham. Unusually he had been playing sweeper that day.

He was transferred on the Monday to Dundee in another Lambie 'masterstroke', probably not unrelated to a certain legal issue which also involved Mr Irons.

Great memory! What really went on there? I guess we'll never know for sure. A very sad business.

Since promotion, how many minutes have we played with 10 (or less) men due to red cards vs minutes played against 10 men due to red cards?

Think there's been 3 against us but they've all been in the last couple of minutes.

Yep, in the League, it's now ten red cards to three. Flippin' eck Tucker. :(

Thistle have had 223 mins man-down time compared to just 16 mins for the opposition.

In the Cups, it's not much better, Thistle have had 46 mins man-down time compared to 2 mins for the opposition.

Add that to the ongoing penalties farce and it's clear to see that we're not getting a break. At all.

Cuddly toy my arse. Public enemy # 1 would seem mair like it. :mad:

Must have been some strike from Welshy for his goal against Rotherham. I'd better have a look at those highlights again.

Welshy was actually closer to Maryhill Shopping Centre than he was to the city end when that goal went in. FACT.

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

Yep, in the League, it's now ten red cards to three. Flippin' eck Tucker. :(

Thistle have had 223 mins man-down time compared to just 16 mins for the opposition.

In the Cups, it's not much better, Thistle have had 46 mins man-down time compared to 2 mins for the opposition.

Add that to the ongoing penalties farce and it's clear to see that we're not getting a break. At all.

Cuddly toy my arse. Public enemy # 1 would seem mair like it. :mad:

Great piece of research. Doesn't seem like luck to me, but I wouldn't necessarily say anybody is against us either. To get the real stat it would be useful to know how many tackles were made by us and by the opposition. Failing that, the number of fouls could be used as a proxy.