Stats Watch 2015-16

The Jukebox Rebel

Definitely 90. There is a website I use a lot at work and every so often it asks me to update my password. I always go for Doolan followed by the number of goals he has scored. At the end of last season it was Doolan89, so it must now be 90.

I do that with big Mathias, it's much easier to remember.

I don't really, it was just a good opportunity for a cheap gag. :D

Feed the Pog!

Looking forward to reading 'Stats Watch 2016-17' in the months ahead, TJR.

Meanwhile, a query. It was mentioned on twitter last night that Dools has now scored 90 goals in the Red & Yellow. Is this an accurate figure?

Thanks BB, what a quick close-season it's been, still in holiday mode. I'll get the great Jaggy database revved up and ready to go for Inverness! Yep, 90 it is, as the good people above have verified.

It's going to be an incredibly exciting season for our Number 9.

A casual wee hat-trick on Saturday and the great man will join the "100 club" in the "all-games" category, which is mind-blowing for a Jag this day in age.

If he scores on Saturday he'll be just the third man in history to score in 7 consecutive competitive games for Thistle. He'd be only the second man to do it whilst Thistle were a top-flight club and in this regard would equal Jimmy Walker's record.

Consecutive Competitive Game Goal Scorers

Scored 8 games-in-a-row

Scott McLean (9 goals from 16-Sep-2000 to 04-Nov-2000)

Scored 7 games-in-a-row

Jimmy Walker (8 goals from 20-Apr-1949 to 17-Aug-1949)

Jimmy Walker (12 goals from 25-Feb-1950 to 08-Apr-1950)

Scored 6 games-in-a-row

Tom Hyslop (6 goals from 15-Aug-1900 to 22-Sep-1900)

Sam Kennedy (7 goals from 06-Jan-1906 to 10-Feb-1906)

Sandy Hair (8 goals from 24-Sep-1923 to 27-Oct-1923)

Harry Gibson (11 goals from 02-Jan-1928 to 28-Jan-1928)

Davie Ness (6 goals from 22-Oct-1932 to 03-Dec-1932)

John Torbet (6 goals from 04-Feb-1933 to 04-Mar-1933)

John Wallace (8 goals from 19-Sep-1936 to 17-Oct-1936)

William Newall (13 goals from 27-Aug-1941 to 27-Sep-1941)

George Smith (10 goals from 04-Sep-1954 to 21-Sep-1954)

Joe McBride (9 goals from 08-Apr-1961 to 12-Aug-1961)

Kris Doolan (6 goals from 23-Apr-2016 to 15-Jul-2016)

• Like 3

TJR. Really hoping that you will bring us similar stats in 2016-2017 as your efforts last season were so much appreciated.

A question to get you started. When did we last have as many Thistle goals in the squad as we have now?

Rather unusually we made a substantial net gain over the close season as I think the only goalscorers we lost were Frans, Dan and Gazza with approximately 5 between them, while we acquired Chris Erskine who already had over 30.

Doolan has 90, Erskine well into the 30s, if not 40, Lawless I think in the high 20s, Elliott a dozen, Bannigan getting towards 10 at a guess, Amoo half a dozen, Welsh and Fraser a handful each and Pogba, Booth, Edwards, Lindsay, Dumbuya and Osman have their twos and ones. Total must be around 200 and will of course be growing as the season progresses unless there is a very unexpected transfer out of a player on a long contract. Willie Sharp would have beaten the lot put together, but since he retired have we ever surpassed that total, possibly if and when Dougie Somner had some prolific team-mates?

On the flip side, when did we have the least Thistle goals in the team? I would hazard a guess at the start of our first season in the third tier. Jered Stirling, Gareth Edwards, Alan Lawrence, Andy Lyons and Nicky Henderson all left, Robert Dunn had not started to score and the fairly modest scorers we carried over were such as Alan Morgan, Martin Lauchlan, Kevin Gaughan and Alan Archibald. Then again, I have just remembered that Sammy Johnston and Willie Jamieson did come back. Did they have many first time round?

TJR. Really hoping that you will bring us similar stats in 2016-2017 as your efforts last season were so much appreciated.

A question to get you started. When did we last have as many Thistle goals in the squad as we have now?

Rather unusually we made a substantial net gain over the close season as I think the only goalscorers we lost were Frans, Dan and Gazza with approximately 5 between them, while we acquired Chris Erskine who already had over 30.

Doolan has 90, Erskine well into the 30s, if not 40, Lawless I think in the high 20s, Elliott a dozen, Bannigan getting towards 10 at a guess, Amoo half a dozen, Welsh and Fraser a handful each and Pogba, Booth, Edwards, Lindsay, Dumbuya and Osman have their twos and ones. Total must be around 200 and will of course be growing as the season progresses unless there is a very unexpected transfer out of a player on a long contract. Willie Sharp would have beaten the lot put together, but since he retired have we ever surpassed that total, possibly if and when Dougie Somner had some prolific team-mates?

On the flip side, when did we have the least Thistle goals in the team? I would hazard a guess at the start of our first season in the third tier. Jered Stirling, Gareth Edwards, Alan Lawrence, Andy Lyons and Nicky Henderson all left, Robert Dunn had not started to score and the fairly modest scorers we carried over were such as Alan Morgan, Martin Lauchlan, Kevin Gaughan and Alan Archibald. Then again, I have just remembered that Sammy Johnston and Willie Jamieson did come back. Did they have many first time round?

Uncanny! I made some notes the other day in prep for Stats Watch 2016-17: "An impressive 22 players with existing competitive first-team appearances for Thistle are in place for season 2016-17. Going into the 2016-17 campaign, an incredible 207 competitive goals have been scored between those 22 players."

The 207 before a ba' was kicked this term:

89 - Kris Doolan

37 - Chris Erskine

28 - Steven Lawless

14 - Christie Elliott

10 - Stuart Bannigan

8 - Sean Welsh

6 - David Amoo

6 - Gary Fraser

2 - Callum Booth

2 - Mathias Pogba

2 - Ryan Edwards

1 - Abdul Osman

1 - Liam Lindsay

1 - Mustapha Dumbuya

I think this is exceptionally high by recent standards. A lot of that has to do with the unbelievable 2012-13 campaign which saw the Jags bag 96 competitive goals - the highest return since the ton of 1970-71, and jointly the 6th highest on record.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to easily answer your query, the mechanics are too complex and would require a lot of non-worthwhile labour. I reckon we must have been there or thereabouts in 82-83 with the haul of Kenny Watson, Maurice Johnston, Donald Park, Alex O'Hara and Kenny McDowall.

On the other side of the coin, for 83 years our top competitive scorer was in the double figures then all of a sudden there were 4 seasons in the latter half of the 90s when we were in single-figure territory, so the answer probably lies there. Our top competitive scorer has never been less than double figures in this century.

Sammy Johnston (4) and Willie Jamieson (8) were their competitive totals.

Thanks for the great question, I'm impressed by your natural knowledge, as always. :thumbsup2:

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel
  • Like 1

Uncanny! I made some notes the other day in prep for Stats Watch 2016-17: "An impressive 21 players with existing competitive first-team appearances for Thistle are in place for season 2016-17. Going into the 2016-17 campaign, an incredible 207 competitive goals have been scored between those 21 players." The 207 before a ba' was kicked this term: 89 - Kris Doolan 37 - Chris Erskine 28 - Steven Lawless 14 - Christie Elliott 10 - Stuart Bannigan 8 - Sean Welsh 6 - David Amoo 6 - Gary Fraser 2 - Callum Booth 2 - Mathias Pogba 2 - Ryan Edwards 1 - Abdul Osman 1 - Liam Lindsay 1 - Mustapha Dumbuya I think this is exceptionally high by recent standards. A lot of that has to do with the unbelievable 2012-13 campaign which saw the Jags bag 96 competitive goals - the highest return since the ton of 1970-71, and jointly the 6th highest on record. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to easily answer your query, the mechanics are too complex and would require a lot of non-worthwhile labour. I reckon we must have been there or thereabouts in 82-83 with the haul of Kenny Watson, Maurice Johnston, Donald Park, Alex O'Hara and Kenny McDowall. On the other side of the coin, for 83 years our top competitive scorer was in the double figures then all of a sudden there were 4 seasons in the latter half of the 90s when we were in single-figure territory, so the answer probably lies there. Our top competitive scorer has never been less than double figures in this century. Sammy Johnston (4) and Willie Jamieson (8) were their competitive totals. Thanks for the great question, I'm impressed by your natural knowledge, as always. :thumbsup2:

Christie Elliot and Sean Welsh will be less impressed with my underestimating their goals totals.

Would you mind this season including in your game by game round up the goals total for the squad? Should surely be an impressive number by the end of the season and may be interesting to compare with future seasons as players come and go.

The numbers brought by Jamieson and Johnston may have saved the class of 1998 from being the most goal-lite in Jags history. Could this accolade belong to the class of 2000 who were about to enjoy a momentous season as league champions. Danny Lennon, Martin Hardie, Scott McLean and Peter Lindau (on loan) had begun to show their qualities but perhaps only had 10 or 12 goals between them at that stage. Archie brought another 3 or 4 and I am not sure who else contributed any. I am assuming that Robert Dunn would have been let go before then.

If I am allowed a supplementary question, was there ever an occasion when there were more Jags goals among Thistle's opponents than among the Thistle players themselves? Possible candidates might be:

1) Playing Celtic with Ronnie Glavin and Joe Craig in their team.

2) Playing St Mirren featuring Doug Somner.

3) Playing against a team including Maurice Johnston-Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Falkirk-any more?

4) My special shout out would be the time we opened the Championship season playing away at Somerset Park. 40 plus goal man Mark Roberts played and scored for Ayr, and I am not sure if any of the Jags had built up a significant goalscoring record by then.

If I am allowed a supplementary question, was there ever an occasion when there were more Jags goals among Thistle's opponents than among the Thistle players themselves? Possible candidates might be:

1) Playing Celtic with Ronnie Glavin and Joe Craig in their team.

2) Playing St Mirren featuring Doug Somner.

3) Playing against a team including Maurice Johnston-Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Falkirk-any more?

4) My special shout out would be the time we opened the Championship season playing away at Somerset Park. 40 plus goal man Mark Roberts played and scored for Ayr, and I am not sure if any of the Jags had built up a significant goalscoring record by then.

Was Jimmy Bone not at Love St same time roughly as Doug S? Can't mind seeing them in the same team against us but quite likely they were.

Now then P Dogg,

Game by game goals. Done. :thumbsup2:

Alas, computer says no on the rest of it for the reasons previously stated. Maybe sometime when I can manufacture the dream super-clever DB.

Here are a few bish-bosh statements anyway...

Of the players who featured in 1998-99, there were a mere 20 competitive goals between them from previous seasons.

6 - Willie Jamieson

5 - Alan Morgan

4 - Sammy Johnston

2 - Kevin Gaughan

1 - Alan Archibald

1 - Alex Martin

1 - Jamie McKenzie

Of the players who featured in 2000-01, there were 116 competitive goals between them from previous seasons.

24 - George Shaw

20 - Robert Dunn

16 - Jered Stirling

15 - Derek McWilliams

15 - Ian Cameron

5 - Peter Lindau

5 - Stephen Docherty

4 - Danny Lennon

3 - Derek Lyle

3 - Martin Hardie

2 - Alan Archibald

2 - Des McKeown

2 - Scott McLean

Re Marko, I presume you're talking about this game:

16.07.2012 Ayr United [a] W4-1 (Friendly)

I have Joel Kasubandi down as equalising for Ayr in 34 mins. I think Mark came on as a sub in the second half.

So, he'd have 45 competitive Thistle goals under his belt at this time. Of the 16 Jags who played at Somerset on the night, 11 of them had been scorers up until pre-match and these boys outscored him by 98 to 45 competitive goals as follows.

39 - Kris Doolan

19 - Chris Erskine

12 - David Rowson

9 - Alan Archibald

6 - Christie Elliott

5 - Paul Paton

2 - Mark McGuigan

2 - Sean Welsh

2 - Stephen O'Donnell

1 - Aaron Taylor-Sinclair

1 - Stuart Bannigan

Now then P Dogg,

Game by game goals. Done. :thumbsup2:

Alas, computer says no on the rest of it for the reasons previously stated. Maybe sometime when I can manufacture the dream super-clever DB.

Here are a few bish-bosh statements anyway...

Of the players who featured in 1998-99, there were a mere 20 competitive goals between them from previous seasons.

6 - Willie Jamieson

5 - Alan Morgan

4 - Sammy Johnston

2 - Kevin Gaughan

1 - Alan Archibald

1 - Alex Martin

1 - Jamie McKenzie

Of the players who featured in 2000-01, there were 116 competitive goals between them from previous seasons.

24 - George Shaw

20 - Robert Dunn

16 - Jered Stirling

15 - Derek McWilliams

15 - Ian Cameron

5 - Peter Lindau

5 - Stephen Docherty

4 - Danny Lennon

3 - Derek Lyle

3 - Martin Hardie

2 - Alan Archibald

2 - Des McKeown

2 - Scott McLean

Re Marko, I presume you're talking about this game:

16.07.2012 Ayr United [a] W4-1 (Friendly)

I have Joel Kasubandi down as equalising for Ayr in 34 mins. I think Mark came on as a sub in the second half.

So, he'd have 45 competitive Thistle goals under his belt at this time. Of the 16 Jags who played at Somerset on the night, 11 of them had been scorers up until pre-match and these boys outscored him by 98 to 45 competitive goals as follows.

39 - Kris Doolan

19 - Chris Erskine

12 - David Rowson

9 - Alan Archibald

6 - Christie Elliott

5 - Paul Paton

2 - Mark McGuigan

2 - Sean Welsh

2 - Stephen O'Donnell

1 - Aaron Taylor-Sinclair

1 - Stuart Bannigan

Thank you TJR.

My gut feeling was right about 1998, and I should not have wobbled when I remembered the return of Willie Jamieson and Sammy Johnston. Without them the goals track record would have been dire indeed. I was totally wrong about 2000 although those who were to become legends such as Hardie, Lennon, Lindau and McLean had relatively modest starting totals. I do not recall Cameron, Dunn, McWilliams and Stirling lasting long into the season (no window then!) and my recollection is that Shaw joined us mid-season. Therefore the goals total may have dropped substantially before the legends got into their stride.

I am hopeless on years but the Ayr game at Somerset I was remembering was immediately after Mark Roberts left us. I believe it was the third season of being back in the First Division (the second season under Ian McCall) and Jonny Tuffey was our established Number 1. He made a poor clearance which Roberts punished with aplomb by a curling finish from near the half way line. Doolan had yet to join us and Harkins was not yet a regular scorer. The only player with a fair tally to his name would have been Liam Buchanan, but even with a handful of goals for others, I do not think that they would have matched Marko's total.

Bet we've never previously had seven players scoring competitive goals before the league season starts.

But it's a bit of an obscure and manufactured stat. Also though, would imagine that seven goalscorers in the first three competitive games of any season would be unusual.

Bet we've never previously had seven players scoring competitive goals before the league season starts.

But it's a bit of an obscure and manufactured stat. Also though, would imagine that seven goalscorers in the first three competitive games of any season would be unusual.

Way back, the season started with league cup groups. I am pretty sure there would have been seasons when we scored lots of goals in the section. I remember my dad telling me about a season we played QOTS home and away within a few days. The 1st game was something like 8-1 for the home side, followed by a very similar reverse the following game.

We had 7 scorers we thumped Albion Rovers 11-1. Pretty sure that was before the league season was underway.

• Like 1

I am hopeless on years but the Ayr game at Somerset I was remembering was immediately after Mark Roberts left us. I believe it was the third season of being back in the First Division (the second season under Ian McCall) and Jonny Tuffey was our established Number 1. He made a poor clearance which Roberts punished with aplomb by a curling finish from near the half way line. Doolan had yet to join us and Harkins was not yet a regular scorer. The only player with a fair tally to his name would have been Liam Buchanan, but even with a handful of goals for others, I do not think that they would have matched Marko's total.

Doolan maybe didn't join us till after Mark Roberts left but Doohlan most certainly did :) . Dools and Marko only played together, in 1st team action at least, for a period of about 15 minutes.

I mind the Roberts goal (beginning of the next season after he left us, I think). Can't quite mind the complete nature of Tuffey's error but I seemed to mind him getting stranded. Maybe failed to put the ball out for a throw in?

Ah, so we're talking:

08.08.2009 Ayr United [a] D1-1 (SFL First Division - game 1)

Marko put them one-up after 5 minutes.

Pre-match, the 14 Jags who played that night sat:

9 - Stephen McKeown

8 - Simon Donnelly

5 - David Rowson

5 - Kris Doolan

4 - Ian Maxwell

3 - Paul Paton

2 - Chris Erskine

2 - John A. Robertson

1 - Bryan Hodge

So the competitive goals battle was:

Mark Roberts 45 Thistle Combined 39

Well done feller, I had every faith in you ;)

We're on the widest pre-League spread since we had 8 different scorers in 1972. All 8 players had registered after just 3 games in the July Cup!

Tommy Rae

Ronnie Glavin

Alex Forsyth

Charlie Smith

Colin Smith

Jim Mullin

Denis McQuade

Jim Doherty

I would also like to point out that the last time Thistle had at least 7 different scorers in the group section of the League Cup we won the thing! (for the record we had 9 back in the '71 group).

We had 7 scorers we thumped Albion Rovers 11-1. Pretty sure that was before the league season was underway.

Nearly, but not quite, 'twas just a few days after a nil-nil draw at Easter Road had kicked off our Premier campaign.

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel