Book Thread

nickthejag

I know I'm a couple of days early, but felt we needed a book thread on here.

What's everyone reading at the moment?

I've just finished Bush Falls by Jonathon Tropper, was pretty good, nothing challenging or ground breaking, but well written and a decent read.

Got Disgrace by JM Coetzee and a couple of Paul Auster things to read on the train to and from London this weekend, but looking for recommendations for when I get back...

recently finished 'Why England Lose: and Other Curious Phenomena Explained' by simon kuper and stefan szymanski. changed the way i look at certain aspects of the game. a refreshing view of football, very different from the hackneyed, cliched perspective of the mainstream media. the antithesis of young, trainer et al.

I know I'm a couple of days early, but felt we needed a book thread on here.

What's everyone reading at the moment?

I've just finished Bush Falls by Jonathon Tropper, was pretty good, nothing challenging or ground breaking, but well written and a decent read.

Got Disgrace by JM Coetzee and a couple of Paul Auster things to read on the train to and from London this weekend, but looking for recommendations for when I get back...

All good stuff. Jonathan Tropper is my type of stuff and if you like him you'd like Douglas Coupland and Tom Perotta as well. One of Tropper's books features a father with priapism (a constant erection) which is funny, but pathetic at the same time, but I can't remember which one it is.

Disgrace is good, but I do find Paul Auster a bit hard going. American Trilogy took me an age to get through. Currently reading something from John Banville, which is a first for me. Nicely written but a bit Roddy Doyle meets Frank McCourt and in need of some Father Ted.

All good stuff. Jonathan Tropper is my type of stuff and if you like him you'd like Douglas Coupland and Tom Perotta as well. One of Tropper's books features a father with priapism (a constant erection) which is funny, but pathetic at the same time, but I can't remember which one it is.

Disgrace is good, but I do find Paul Auster a bit hard going. American Trilogy took me an age to get through. Currently reading something from John Banville, which is a first for me. Nicely written but a bit Roddy Doyle meets Frank McCourt and in need of some Father Ted.

It was actually a recommendation from you on jagsforum that turned me on to Tropper and Perotta - I think after I'd said I liked Coupland!

Found American Trilogy hard work too, but one of the books I;ve got to read is a graphic novel interpreation of one of the trilogy. Apparently it makes a lot more sense and is far more accessible.

Was about to say "what? it's not May yet, not even close" but then checked. Holy sheeite, time, stop moving so fast. :blink:

As for recent reading, last book I read was Alex James's autobio Bit of a Blur. Very funny read, but will disappoint people wanting a Blur biog as it is very much about his own experiences, rather than a detailed history of the band and its music. You'd probably have to wait for Damon's autobiography for that.

Working my way through the Rebus collection. Almost finished it so will be looking for something new.

Any suggestions?

If you like your crime fiction try 'The Stone Gallows' by C David Ingram. Set in Glasgow.

BTW I really miss Rebus. Quite fancy reading them all again.

Struggling recently to find something that I've really enjoyed. With time on my hands I'm looking for any recommendations.

Edited by Tom Hosie

Working my way through the Rebus collection. Almost finished it so will be looking for something new.

Any suggestions?

Doing the same. Just finished Mortal Causes.

Recently read Empires of the Sea, a cracking narrative history of middle-ages warfare between the Ottoman Empire and the Western Christian powers, cumulating in Malta and Lepanto. Even though I knew the outcome it was still a riveting read and the author brings the characters to life. Went back and read his first book, Constantinople, about the siege of 1452. Equally brilliant and would fully recommend to anyone who loves a historical narrative especially if they like this period of history.

I realise I now sound like a history geek so I also ready Warrior of Rome: Fire in the East recently, which is also great - fiction based on a Roman General in about 300AD.

If you like your crime fiction try 'The Stone Gallows' by C David Ingram. Set in Glasgow.

BTW I really miss Rebus. Quite fancy reading them all again.

Struggling recently to find something that I've really enjoyed. With time on my hands I'm looking for any recommendations.

You may have already read it but if not, Ian Rankin's 'The Complaint's' is a good read. Think he might be planning to keep the main character (Malcolm Fox) in future books.

You may have already read it but if not, Ian Rankin's 'The Complaint's' is a good read. Think he might be planning to keep the main character (Malcolm Fox) in future books.

I have read it and enjoyed it. It had a bit of a Rebus feel to it. Would rather he would just bring Rebus and Sibohan :wub: back.

Yes, I know she is only a character in a book. :P

Just started reading a lighter book - Screen Burn which is the first collection of Charlie Brooker's articles from The Guardian. Very, very funny, but only if you like his bitingly acerbic style and his sneering "I'm smarter than you" attitude. Look forward to seeing how he does live on telly tonight.

recently finished 'Why England Lose: and Other Curious Phenomena Explained' by simon kuper and stefan szymanski. changed the way i look at certain aspects of the game. a refreshing view of football, very different from the hackneyed, cliched perspective of the mainstream media. the antithesis of young, trainer et al.

Kuper wrote another book called "Football Against The Enemy". It'll be a bit out of date now but its also really interesting.

I'm without a new book at the moment, so took to reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo from the other half's collection. Really not that interested in it, but I might finish it.

I just finished reading the trilogy and I have to say that in this case the hype is absolutely justified. From about halfway through the first one I was completely hooked. Read the third one in a single sitting last weekend!

Just started reading a lighter book - Screen Burn which is the first collection of Charlie Brooker's articles from The Guardian. Very, very funny, but only if you like his bitingly acerbic style and his sneering "I'm smarter than you" attitude. Look forward to seeing how he does live on telly tonight.

I found myself really enjoying Brooker & Co during that alternative election programme. From early on it was obvious that the real thing was heading for the academic so anything alternative was welcome. Rich Hall was on the button.

Oh, as for books wouldn't normally post but I'm reading Greil Marcus's Invisible Republic. Would welcome anyone's opinions about this book. I'm inevitably drawn to anything to do with Dylan and the Band especially circa Big Pink times but find myself struggling to get to grips with this.

Guest bonzo1876

Oh, as for books wouldn't normally post but I'm reading Greil Marcus's Invisible Republic. Would welcome anyone's opinions about this book. I'm inevitably drawn to anything to do with Dylan and the Band especially circa Big Pink times but find myself struggling to get to grips with this.

Have you ever read "The People's Music" by Ian MacDonald? Quality book and a good bit about Dylan and the Band, also stuff about the Big Pink etc.

review

amazon