Refugee Crisis- Email To The Club

La Scimmia Rossa

After reading the statements from Bayern and Celtic today, i sent Ian Maxwell an email.

I don't want a political debate on the subject.

All i ask, is that if you agree with me, you send an email to Maxie at [email protected]

"Ian, i hope you are well.

You'll be well aware of the current refugee crisis. You'll probably also have read the statements from Bayern and Celtic this afternoon.

Football clubs have the power to shape opinions, but they also have the ability to motivate people to help.

Thistle are a community club and you and the board and the fans have done good work in this space.

Glasgow has a long and rich history of immigration and also sheltering and assisting those who come here at a time of need.

The current first team are represented by players from various countries , some of which had their own terrible tragedies down through the years.

I wonder if the club would be willing to support and publicize an official fundraiser at the Dundee game a week on Saturday.

Perhaps invite Save the Children to collect before the game since they have a specific campaign, and the club and fans can publicise it ?

By allowing a regulated charity to collect, it avoids all the issues that might spring up from a fan -run adhoc collection. It'll carry much more weight if the club are behind it.

What do you think? Is it feasible?

Regards

Colin"

• Like 11

100% in favour of this. I also agree that it's best that a reputable charity like Save the Children should be involved. LSR rightly says he doesn't want a political debate. I'd say what is there to debate? I think we're way past the discussion stage and immediate action is required. A community club such as ours has to be involved.

• Like 1

Great idea Colin support you fully.

email sent as

Ian, i hope you are well. I am supporting Colin in his idea outlined below

"You'll be well aware of the current refugee crisis. You'll probably also have read the statements from Bayern and Celtic this afternoon.

Football clubs have the power to shape opinions, but they also have the ability to motivate people to help.

Thistle are a community club and you and the board and the fans have done good work in this space.

Glasgow has a long and rich history of immigration and also sheltering and assisting those who come here at a time of need.

The current first team are represented by players from various countries , some of which had their own terrible tragedies down through the years.

I wonder if the club would be willing to support and publicize an official fundraiser at the Dundee game a week on Saturday.

Perhaps invite Save the Children to collect before the game since they have a specific campaign, and the club and fans can publicise it ?

By allowing a regulated charity to collect, it avoids all the issues that might spring up from a fan -run adhoc collection. It'll carry much more weight if the club are behind it.

What do you think? Is it feasible?

Regards

Colin"

I fully endorse this as an Idea the club should be behind.

Kind Regards

Graeme

Edited by gee

A great idea.

I believe there is a planned meeting in Glasgow on the day of the Dundee game.

Glasgow has many refugees and I would like the club to offer a number of tickets for our games. Many people living here are restricted from working whilst applications are processed. We certainly have enough spare capacity in our ground and some light relief won't hurt. Hold on, light relief at Firhill...

Just received the following reply from Ian Maxwell

"Hi Colin

Thanks for the email.

As you say, we pride ourselves on being a community club and are more than happy to support such fundraising initiatives.

I’ll get in touch with Save the Children and see what needs to be done to organise a can collection for the Dundee game as suggested. We’ll obviously advertise the collection in the lead up to the game when things are confirmed."

Thanks for supporting this folks. I'm happy with that. I'll happily contribute towards a banner but i'll leave that to others to organise.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa
  • Like 1