It's All The Board's Fault

Dark Passenger

Is it the BoD fault? They are partly to blame no doubt about it.

However, I give you John Baird, Mark Kert, Henoc Mukendi & Ross Forbes.

'

Then I'll add in Nathan Ecclestone, Jake Carrol

To give the BoD their credit in all of that, twice they've backed him with cash in January to bring in Taylor (twice), Bauben, Erskine & others.

Finances are tight, is it the BoD to blame? Is it the lack of fans backing at the gate. IMO, a combination of both.

However with finances as tight as they are, we can't afford to be doing a Ro$$ Co & changing our team in January every year. That means that due diligence has to be done with the signings we do bring in.

An abundance of midfielders who all do similar roles, bringing in another right back weeks after bringing in a right back & what seems to be putting all our eggs in one basket re striker (Taylor) suggests the manager hasn't done that.

This along with a persistence of playing the same formation every week -with at the moment (or 8 games out of 9 think it is) - the same result. Namely Partick Thistle nil.

I wonder how many folk would've been as patient with McCall or McNamara of they went through same run?

The legend that is Alan Archibald clouds some fans judgement I reckon.

Remember though, if he was making a great job of this & a higher club came calling, would he stay because of the fans backing? 99% certain it'd be a no.

Therefore why should it be any different when he's doing a poor job.

2 games until the international break. No wins in either & I think it's time for change.

One thing that hasn't been forthcoming is what happened to the new share issue that was going to be raised, did the Weirs decline, if so are the club going to open up a share issue to existing shareholders and fans.

I missed the end of year fundraiser but understand the Weirs agreed to fund the Weir Academy for a further 3 years. That at least is something if we are relegated this season.

Also does anyone know what our most recently appointed director Ms Low's duties are and have we benefited from her services so far.

AJ

To follow up on this, nothing's been announced regarding further funding AJ. Where did you hear this?

Both are based at:

7 Maritime Street

Leith, Edinburgh, EH6 6SE

It's freely available on both their websites.

When I mentioned it at a game the other week, one of the lads said she is employed by them (the weir charitable trust) to look after their funds.

Colour me sceptical, but I think she wants to know where their money's getting spent. Or more to the point, where it's all gone.

No matter how loaded I was, If I pumped in close on a £1,000,000 with the promise of more funding as well, I would want representation on the board as well. Does anyone know how this works. Say we sell two promising youngsters for say £300,000, does the money get pumped back into Thistle Weir, does it go to the Weirs to repay them or does it go to the club to improve the team. Never really been clarified as far as I know!

Personally and anecdotally I think the PR/customer relations side of the Club has improved considerably tho' there's still a few **** ups. Communication in particular appears much better. I don't have an opinion re whether the Board has backed Archie sufficiently simply because I don't know the financial situation. I'm not sure how others can have such definitive opinions either when ignorant of fact.

My gut feeling is that turnover last season fell far more than anticipated and the Board have reduced the player budget on a pro rata basis. Some may see that as simply good business practice. Others will see it as impractical and too drastic.

The one overriding factor (there's countless relevant threads on here alone) nobody appears to know just why home crowds dropped so sharply during a successful season. If you don't know that then it stands to reason you don't know how to rectify it. With that in mind I can see why any sensible Board would be reluctant to throw extra money the manager's way. There's no guarantee whatsoever, with our Club at least, that any additional funding can be recouped by relative success on the field.

• Like 1

Fox announced that he was leaving because he wanted to win trophies and (re)kindle his international career. He went to Ross County. Higgy went to Killie weeks after condemning plastic pitches. Despite finding no club in the summer, Balatoni knocked back another chance at Thistle. The players see the club from the inside, day after day. Is it possible that it was a perceived lack of ambition at the club that drove them away rather than a few more quid or whatever?

Fox announced that he was leaving because he wanted to win trophies and (re)kindle his international career. He went to Ross County. Higgy went to Killie weeks after condemning plastic pitches. Despite finding no club in the summer, Balatoni knocked back another chance at Thistle. The players see the club from the inside, day after day. Is it possible that it was a perceived lack of ambition at the club that drove them away rather than a few more quid or whatever?

Very good point BB. Think Craigan was offered a new deal as well, but opted for championship level to get regular football.

As has already been said Archie is still looking to sign more payers outside the window.Which means we still have money , why was that not used to get some of the players who turned us down?

It was. They got better offers. Some waited to see what other options they had, then signed (Dumbya)

Happy to.

Ok. Who is replacing him?

Danny Lennon who is struggling at Alloa? What about the up and coming Alan Johnston? Or the vastly experienced Stuart McCall? I know, we'll go for Ian McCall. No. Wait. Terry Butcher. Kenny Shiels. He won a cup you know. Stevie Lomas. Sacked from Millwall. Barry Smith. No i've got it. The next new thing Ian Murray.

We really are done now. Aren't we? Before the Jimmy Calderwood klaxon goes off.

Ok. Who is replacing him?

Danny Lennon who is struggling at Alloa? What about the up and coming Alan Johnston? Or the vastly experienced Stuart McCall? I know, we'll go for Ian McCall. No. Wait. Terry Butcher. Kenny Shiels. He won a cup you know. Stevie Lomas. Sacked from Millwall. Barry Smith. No i've got it. The next new thing Ian Murray.

We really are done now. Aren't we? Before the Jimmy Calderwood klaxon goes off.

You forgot Dickie, LSR....did he not get manager of the month recently with Forfar?

I didn't think it would be long before the " who's replacing him" line would be rolled out. The last bastion of defence when the evidence against speaks volumes.

So I'll respond with the standard " you don't know who will apply until there is a vacancy".

And just for the record, nowhere have I said that our current manager should be sacked.

• Like 1

I didn't think it would be long before the " who's replacing him" line would be rolled out. The last bastion of defence when the evidence against speaks volumes.

So I'll respond with the standard " you don't know who will apply until there is a vacancy".

And just for the record, nowhere have I said that our current manager should be sacked.

Imagine asking someone to have a suggested replacement should the current manager move on.

It's simple. Back the manager or don't. So where do you stand?

Agreed. Keep us up and he'll move on.

We should be able to get points from the next 4 games, hypothetical question if we don't and have only achieved 3 points from 36 would you still have the same view point.

Archie has done a lot for our club but like it or not it's a results driven business , it can't all be the boards fault paying off John Baird, Mark Kerr etc , paying wages to Ecclestone, Jake Carroll etc . Even at this point of the season Archie signs Gary Miller to replace SOd, then he goes out after 6 games and gets another right back in Dumbaya . Whether the budget has been slashed or not it's up the manager to spend it wisely.

We should be able to get points from the next 4 games, hypothetical question if we don't and have only achieved 3 points from 36 would you still have the same view point.

Archie has done a lot for our club but like it or not it's a results driven business , it can't all be the boards fault paying off John Baird, Mark Kerr etc , paying wages to Ecclestone, Jake Carroll etc . Even at this point of the season Archie signs Gary Miller to replace SOd, then he goes out after 6 games and gets another right back in Dumbaya . Whether the budget has been slashed or not it's up the manager to spend it wisely.

What's wrong with having two right backs if both can play in different positions as cover?

It wasn't that long ago we had SOD and McMillan in the squad. Was that used as a stick to beat Archie?