Music That Stands The Test Of Time

Barney Rubble

It's probably got a lot to do with timing. I was unemployed for three years under Thatcher and when I got back to work one of the first things I did was buy a walkman. All the Best Cowboys came out just at the right time for it to be one of the first ones I bought and it never seemed to be taken out the bag I took to work, so was played quite regularly and still is on my Ipod. Although, it's a bit wordy and awkward for that; I still really like it. I've always liked Townshend's voice and the way that he produces the backing vocals to enhance choruses (I really like Angie's Peppermint Lump for that) and actually I like the songs too.

Ultravox's "Ha! Ha! Ha!" album. Thirty-eight years old this week, and still sounds like it comes from the future...

John Foxx-era Ultravox is out of this world, yet most people don't even know that there was an incarnation of that band before Midge Ure turned up and wrecked it...

Edited by ScottyDFA