Bbc Alba Sunday Night Game

Third Lanark

Really enjoyed watching this, but I have to say the quality of the coverage is shocking. Not just the paltry number of cameras and the resulting limited camera angles, but the actual quality of the picture is ridiculously poor. I'm not necessarily expecting HD (although, why not?), but it looks more like something filmed in the 70's than a modern-day recording. (And I don't actually care that the commentary is in Gaelic as I usually watch tv games with the sound turned down so I don't have to listen to the crap commentary. Wish there was a Red Button option to retain the crowd sounds and delete the commentary...)

• Like 1

There is no HD because there isn't enough bandwidth to support it - without losing other channels, at any rate. So its's a compromise.

Any complaints about the production standards would best be addressed to BBC ALBA, which is the commissioning channel. You can do that here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complain-online/

(Interestingly, you can complain in English or Welsh, but not in Gaelic. :o )

On a related point, I got the opportunity to watch football on UHD - Ultra High Definition - some time ago. Naturally, it was a bit experimental, and it dropped out for quite a while, but IMHO the enhanced picture quality was not evident as soon as there was quick movement, which is pretty well the essence of sport.

Any complaints about the production standards would best be addressed to BBC ALBA, which is the commissioning channel. You can do that here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...omplain-online

I have complained to the BBC numerous times over the years: appalling coverage of Scottish football, inaccuracies in reports of Thistle games, biased reporting during the Referendum,all a complete waste of time. Their Complaints procedure is a total sham.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...omplain-online

I have complained to the BBC numerous times over the years: appalling coverage of Scottish football, inaccuracies in reports of Thistle games, biased reporting during the Referendum,all a complete waste of time. Their Complaints procedure is a total sham.

Goes against the grain with me but we should be grateful for small mercies. I'm more than grateful that now and again a Jags game gets lengthy coverage on Alba. For the life of me I can't see the general attraction in an hour long programme covering an already known outcome. I know I'm considered,by most that know me away from Firhill anyway, as a football nut. Even I would struggle to sit down and watch say a St Johnstone v ICT game that I already know ended in a low scoring drudge fest.

I honestly can't see the commercial attraction in most of those Alba extended repeats. To complain about the coverage of such a limited attraction seems to me rather petty.

Goes against the grain with me but we should be grateful for small mercies. I'm more than grateful that now and again a Jags game gets lengthy coverage on Alba. For the life of me I can't see the general attraction in an hour long programme covering an already known outcome. I know I'm considered,by most that know me away from Firhill anyway, as a football nut. Even I would struggle to sit down and watch say a St Johnstone v ICT game that I already know ended in a low scoring drudge fest.

I honestly can't see the commercial attraction in most of those Alba extended repeats. To complain about the coverage of such a limited attraction seems to me rather petty.

I suspect that Alba to get funding as a minority language channel has to produce a certain amount of programming in different sectors (sport, entertainment etc). So instead of producing a quite expensive highlights programme where they have to buy the rights to various games and it competes with the frankly sh*t Sportscene, they show one cheap to produce game prior to Sportscene and MOTD 2 to get at least some audience share. Don't know the ins and outs of the Alba contract but I think it might be along the lines of this....

I suspect that Alba to get funding as a minority language channel has to produce a certain amount of programming in different sectors (sport, entertainment etc). So instead of producing a quite expensive highlights programme where they have to buy the rights to various games and it competes with the frankly sh*t Sportscene, they show one cheap to produce game prior to Sportscene and MOTD 2 to get at least some audience share. Don't know the ins and outs of the Alba contract but I think it might be along the lines of this....

Yeh that's probably it. Maybe someday someone will sit me down and quietly explain the rationale behind two BBC channels showing the previous day highlights of a game at the same time.

"I honestly can't see the commercial attraction in most of those Alba extended repeats. To complain about the coverage of such a limited attraction seems to me rather petty."

So we should just accept whatever we're given and be grateful? The BBC are a public funded body palpably failing to provide the service the people of Scotland pay for. There is no need for them to be "commercial" - they already have a guaranteed income from the public purse. I have long been a supporter of the BBC, or, rather, the idea of the BBC, but they've become bloated, complacent and fearful of the British establishment. Wouldn't shed a tear if the whole rotten edifice was to disappear.