Future Of The Forum

Col

• Administrators

To all members,

This is a post about the future of the forum and we would ask that you please read. We've tried to keep it short.

We have ran this forum for 5 years now and have really enjoyed it. Over the past couple of years we haven't had the time required to dedicate to the forum, and over that time the forum has sort of been neglected which we would like to apologise for. We have had a busy few years and now we're expecting a baby on top of our other commitments - so it seems as good a time as any for us to call it a day.

However, we are aware that many fans still use the forum regularly and we would like there to be a place online for thistle fans to keep in touch.

So what we are proposing is that we take a step back and basically just take care of the forum's design, development and hosting and allow someone else or a group of people to take over the actual running of the forum. If someone comes forward then we will upgrade the forum software and then work with the new admin(s) to refresh the look and feel of the forum. We will then continue to look after that side of things and implement any new ideas that require technical assistance. Everything else will be left to the new admin(s) and they will have full control over the forum.

If you would be interested in this or would like more information - then please get in touch with us at: [email protected] with the subject 'Forum Admin' and we will take it from there.

We are still working on the details of how to hand everything over but will hopefully have the new admins in place before the end of the season and have the upgrade/refresh in place for the start of next season.

If nobody comes forward then i'm afraid we will be looking at closing down the forum.

Hopefully it won't come to that but we will post again to let everyone know what is happening either way.

Cheers

Admin

I really hope that this site continues to operate, it has been very well run and strikes an excellent balance between free speech and responsible posting. It might be helpful to those who may be interested in helping to run it to know what skills are required, and perhaps admin could set these out.

• Like 2

This forum has been and still is an excellent resource. Dare I say that perhaps it's time to look at introducing a measure of payment to help in its upkeep? I'd be prepared to pay a monthly subscription, perhaps to a fund for those that feel they can do so (so that others wouldn't be excluded).

• Members

The cost probably isn't that much to be honest if I recall from previous incarnations. It's purely getting someone to take responsibility for the upkeep. There probably isn't a great deal to do now either as this forum is up and running and should just keep going. I don't really want to run the forum again but I'll help out if anyone wants to take it on.

We have ran this forum for 5 years now and have really enjoyed it. Over the past couple of years we haven't had the time required to dedicate to the forum, and over that time the forum has sort of been neglected which we would like to apologise for. We have had a busy few years and now we're expecting a baby on top of our other commitments - so it seems as good a time as any for us to call it a day.

No apologies necessary, you've done a great job. And congratulations btw.

What's involved in running it? I would imagine that it's mainly down to deleting posts that are ott. And making sure that bans stick. To achieve that you need a group of people who are on here 24/7.

I tend to look at the forum a few times a week, so I am not your ideal candidate. But there are people who frequent this forum far more frequently than I. Lady Isobel Barnett, Blackpool Jag come to mind, but there are many others.

A group effort might be good?

Ditto!

<i>We have ran this forum for 5 years now and have really enjoyed it. Over the past couple of years we haven't had the time required to dedicate to the forum, and over that time the forum has sort of been neglected which we would like to apologise for. We have had a busy few years and now we're expecting a baby on top of our other commitments - so it seems as good a time as any for us to call it a day.</i>

What's involved in running it? I would imagine that it's mainly down to deleting posts that are ott. And making sure that bans stick. To achieve that you need a group of people who are on here 24/7.

I tend to look at the forum a few times a week, so I am not your ideal candidate. But there are people who frequent this forum far more frequently than I. Lady Isobel Barnett, Blackpool Jag come to mind, but there are many others.

Don't lose any sleep over the forum (potentially you might be losing a bit of sleep in the near future for a much more positive reason).

It is a great place to discuss, praise, argue, fall out, make up, gurn, rejoice, in fact it is almost the same as having a child, but you have done your bit as regards the forum and for that you are due a great deal of credit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Here's hoping that others will take up the challenge, as it would be tragic to lose this.

Ditto.

Credit to the owners of this forum; they've provided a excellent AND crucial online meeting place for all of us, regardless of our different points of view.

Agree with above

I really hope that this site continues to operate, it has been very well run and strikes an excellent balance between free speech and responsible posting. It might be helpful to those who may be interested in helping to run it to know what skills are required, and perhaps admin could set these out.

Would just like to say thanks to you guys for the forum.

Thanks very much for the comments above

Can I pass on my thanks to the current admin team for providing the best source of Jag related chat available. It is a life-saver for us fans who are remote from Glasgow.

All the best to yourself, Mrs. Admin and the future Adminlet

Thanks Dick Dastardly, Mrs. Admin is doing good and the little Adminlet is practicing it's kicking technique :D

This forum has been and still is an excellent resource. Dare I say that perhaps it's time to look at introducing a measure of payment to help in its upkeep? I'd be prepared to pay a monthly subscription, perhaps to a fund for those that feel they can do so (so that others wouldn't be excluded).

Thanks Fearchar, we have made a deal with the hosting provider that secures us free server space in return for our advertising rights on the website. So all that's left to pay for after that is domain names and forum software upgrades. We are happy to cover these costs as long as the forum is being used.

The cost probably isn't that much to be honest if I recall from previous incarnations. It's purely getting someone to take responsibility for the upkeep. There probably isn't a great deal to do now either as this forum is up and running and should just keep going. I don't really want to run the forum again but I'll help out if anyone wants to take it on.

Would just like to say a huge thank you to you Willjag for all your help over the years. From the initial advice you gave us when starting this forum to all the help you've given us with maintaining it over the years, you've been invaluable to us.

Thanks very much Douglas Clark, we wouldn't be against a group effort but it's all down to who offers their help.

Don't lose any sleep over the forum (potentially you might be losing a bit of sleep in the near future for a much more positive reason).

It is a great place to discuss, praise, argue, fall out, make up, gurn, rejoice, in fact it is almost the same as having a child, but you have done your bit as regards the forum and for that you are due a great deal of credit.

Thanks very much JeanieD, glad you have enjoyed using the forum. Hopefully having a child will be a walk in the park after this... :crazy:

I read the forum everyday don't often post.. Im happy to help out if i can

Thanks for the offer Dougie247, we have messaged you.

I love the forum. How are you getting on? Has someone agreed to take it over yet?

Just like to add my thanks for all the efforts of the people who make this forum possible. I don't post often, but as a Nomad I use it as the best way to keep up with all things Thistle.

What's the situation so far?

We've now got a few offers of help to take over the forum so will be back in touch shortly. Hoping for new Admin in the new year.

Just want to add my thanks for all the efforts so far. The forum is a great resource.

I'm in the same boat as you, admin, in that I'm expecting a mini Paulo or Paulette early in the new year. So my time may be limited too. Hopefully have a new admin sorted and you can fully enjoy the new arrival!

Just want to add my thanks for all the efforts so far. The forum is a great resource.

I'm in the same boat as you, admin, in that I'm expecting a mini Paulo or Paulette early in the new year. So my time may be limited too. Hopefully have a new admin sorted and you can fully enjoy the new arrival!

All the very best, Paulo, for your new arrival. Your son or daughter will have a great Jaggy future, no doubt about it.

• Like 1

Think the folk that have run this site for yonks deserve enormous praise.

I would absolutely hate this forum to disappear. If it would be useful, I am willing to be part of a consortium of folk that took over the running. My CV includes having enormous experience of being moderated off sites like the Herald, the Guardian, and others.

OTOH the good folk on Space.com wanted me to be a moderator. I refused.

Dunno, is that a job application?

• Administrators

Thanks Paulo and congratulations on the happy news :D All the best for when he/she arrives

Just realised that I had never posted in this thread. Thanks for all the hard work guys. It really is a great place to hang out, at least some of the time anyway...

Thanks very much Twinny and we would also like to thank you for all your help over the years too. You have also been invaluable to us and we really appreciate all the time you have spared to the forum. Hope you're enjoying married life :)

Think the folk that have run this site for yonks deserve enormous praise.

I would absolutely hate this forum to disappear. If it would be useful, I am willing to be part of a consortium of folk that took over the running. My CV includes having enormous experience of being moderated off sites like the Herald, the Guardian, and others.

OTOH the good folk on Space.com wanted me to be a moderator. I refused.

Dunno, is that a job application?

Thanks Douglas, we have sent you a message.

Cheers

• Col unpinned this topic