Any Juicy Rumours? Who Are We Hoping To Bring In?

jagfaelivi

Even with the club being "debt free" I doubt they, or indeed any club in Scotland could knock back £200,000 for a player that can leave in 4 months. To be honest it would be mad of Aberdeen to pay that amount in the first place, given the circumstances!

Think there's other clubs looking at him apart from Aberdeen but if they wanted him to help push on for Championship / European challenge they would pay a fee, they did the same last year with Kenny McLean who had 6 months left.

Was there not an article recently about Thistle's scouting network? I can remember reading it and thinking how professional and in depth it sounded, certainly the best in my time watching the Jags.

Like others have said, 11 days to go so plenty of time to get the right players in. Archie has signed more aces than duds, pretty sure he'll get it right again.

Look at the panic signings United, Hamilton etc are making. I'm much happier with the way Archie goes about his business, we'll be fine.

Was there not an article recently about Thistle's scouting network? I can remember reading it and thinking how professional and in depth it sounded, certainly the best in my time watching the Jags.

Like others have said, 11 days to go so plenty of time to get the right players in. Archie has signed more aces than duds, pretty sure he'll get it right again.

Look at the panic signings United, Hamilton etc are making. I'm much happier with the way Archie goes about his business, we'll be fine.

who did Hamilton sign? I didn't think they could afford anyone?

Take your point on board and I think we've got the players to stay up if Chris Erskine is back in January.

How are we going to replace Bannigan next year ? . Are we going to wait till the season ticket money comes in and get a replacement once again in the last week in August .

An example last year was to let Odonnell run down his contract , any fee received would probably have been invested in securing Lyle Taylor instead we got Pogba at the last minute . I realise there are fine margins there but at some point you've got to plan for the future instead of how we've done player recruitment in the last few seasons.

I don't know how we're going to replace Bannigan next year, I'm not Alan Archibald or involved at any level in the transfer dealings at Partick Thistle. I would presume that we have a list of targets drawn up and we will attempt to secure one or more of them as his replacement.

The offer for O'Donnell was accepted and he turned down the move, we didn't puposely let his contract run down. In any case, he was one of our best players towards the end of last season, and helped secure a lot of points with some outstanding displays. If we had sold him, we could very well have done a lot worse in the league overall.

If Lyle Taylor had wanted to sign on a permanent basis, he would have. He got a better offer from Wimbledon, and as such he's gone there.

You have no idea how we go about dealing with player recruitment, and neither do I so I have no idea why you're presuming that we don't "plan for the future." I'd say that plenty of our dealings over the last few years have had the future in mind.

• Like 1

Would be high risk selling Banzo just now. I think just about every time we've played well Bannigan has had a very good game. Any time he's been poor so has the team. Going to be a big enough headache without him next season. Whether £200K or whatever just now is worth the risk is questionable. Really need a crystal ball for that one.

Would be high risk selling Banzo just now. I think just about every time we've played well Bannigan has had a very good game. Any time he's been poor so has the team. Going to be a big enough headache without him next season. Whether £200K or whatever just now is worth the risk is questionable. Really need a crystal ball for that one.

agree it's a risk but surely you've a better chance of securing a player if you've got some tangible cash in your hand especially as you know it's going to be a much stronger league next year.

If Bannigan went for wages around the top end of Aberdeen's pay structure, what would that be?

Could we afford to match it?

Would it be better invested in another player?

Or what?

I am really glad I am not Mr Archibald, who has to juggle these sort of things 24/7.

Are there any players from the Juniors that we could tap? It's just where we are in the pecking order. If I were a, for instance, Pollok fan and we had an outstanding prospect, I would be absolutely gutted when he left.

It is the just the way of it.....

Edited by douglas clark

I have no idea. That is the joy of sport. Who would have predicted, a year ago, that Dundee United would be fourteen points adrift? Hamilton did very well until they lost their manager and are now in freefall.

There are two transfer windows between now and then. Players and managers will come and go. Clubs financial situations will change. We don't know yet which clubs will be competing in the league.

There are far too many variables for me to make a judgement.

How do you know that it's going to be a much stronger league next season?

As Ryan McStay once told the Lennox Herald shortly after signing for Dumbarton "There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know"

• Like 1

I have no idea. That is the joy of sport. Who would have predicted, a year ago, that Dundee United would be fourteen points adrift? Hamilton did very well until they lost their manager and are now in freefall.

There are two transfer windows between now and then. Players and managers will come and go. Clubs financial situations will change. We don't know yet which clubs will be competing in the league.

There are far too many variables for me to make a judgement.

How do you know that it's going to be a much stronger league next season?

Nobody knows for sure but there's every probability that Sevco and Hibs will fill the top 2 positions and 1 or the other will be automatically promoted . Looking at both of them , unfortunately they've got more financial clout than the majority of the SpFl and if they get promoted I'm sure they'll invest accordingly, you just have to look at Hearts and their finances to see how well they have done after being promoted, actually hope I'm wrong and it's Falkirk and Raith Rovers but I doubt it.

agree it's a risk but surely you've a better chance of securing a player if you've got some tangible cash in your hand especially as you know it's going to be a much stronger league next year.

I'd say we'd have a better chance of securing a player by being a better team and steering clear of a real relegation battle this year, potentially making the top 6 (which is by no means out of reach).

We're more likely to do that with Bannigan as a Partick Thistle player.

The only valid reason to sell one of your best players mid way through a season is if the offer is worth more than keeping the player at the club could be. Noone is going to offer us that amount of money, and as such, I'll be pretty furious if we agree to sell Bannigan this window.

Edit: or if you need the money to stop the club going bust I suppose, but that's not really relevant to this situation.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow
  • Like 1

Both Doolan and Cerny could probably play for any other team in the SPFL, outside of Celtic (and maybe even then) so the fact that they are willing to commit their futures to us suggests two things : 1) Archie is selling the club to players very well, notwithstanding the lack of actual transfers 2) The players don't see us being relegation candidates

• Like 1

Two things about Cerny re-signing that really encourages me. Firstly he must have greatly impressed anybody watching him this season. Since leaving Accies he'd not played that much, so his percentage of good games to bad has to be very high. Secondly he'll be 33 when his new contract runs out. Tho' not exceptionally old for a keeper his chances of earning a big pay day move will be greatly reduced. Armed with the first point and heeding the latter I really thought we'd be struggling to get any further commitment from Tomas past the end of this season.

Individually you could maybe see why Dumbaya, Erskine and Dools have all signed on. You can make a case for either security and/or a genuine love of the Club. But Cerny is different as I'd have thought he'd have a multitude of offers to contend with, which gets me to thinking that we're a bit more attractive a club to players of quality than we often think.

The attraction of being able to live in Glasgow without a hefty commute is definitely an advantage we have. Other than that, the club must genuinely be a good place to be around these days. As we all know, that has often not been the case in recent years. So the manager must take credit for changing the culture around the club and bringing in players who will enhance the atmosphere in the dressing room.

• Like 2