What Would You Choose...

Mediocre Pundit

What would you choose...  

63 members have voted

1. 1. ...between...

• Lose in Scottish Cup on Saturday but finish in the top six
    • Reach the Scottish Cup final but have a final day 'winner takes all' match to avoid the playoffs

Scottish Cup every time - would love to see Jags fans and their long suffering extended families taking up half of Hampden - it'd be a once in a lifetime experience and we bloody well deserve it!

Been to Hampden before for semi-finals against Aberdeen (Jim Melrose scored an overhead kick IIRC but we lost 4-2 I think) & the h*ns in the late 70's and more recently the H*ns again.

Can only ever wonder what those Jags fans felt in 1921 & 1971 ... suppose we'll have to wait another 5 years to 2021 to find out :thumbsup2:

Great question a real catch 22. Like has been said, win the cup and that team become legends , written into the history books. Get relegated and it can be a long long way back.

Wigan a couple of seasons ago look at them now.

Birmingham City won the league cup, first trophy in their history and were relegated the same season. They played and lost 3-0 to West Brom the weekend after winning the cup ( probably still hungover) Thise 3 points meant West Brom stayed up instead of Birmingham.

The list goes on...

Think I'd still rather the clubs name on the trophy though.

Finishing in the top 6 would make it a lot easier to consolidate long-term. I would fancy our chances of having 2 or 3 good cup runs were we fully to consolidate as a mid-table Premier League club.

Being in the play-offs, even if we win, would represent the St Mirren-ification of our club, having been in the top flight for 3 seasons without really doing anything but pulling a rabbit out the hat elsewhere. We would be favourites to go down the following season and we have a much lower chance of having good cup runs if we have to completely rebuild the club around the demands of a Yo-Yo team, just to be back in the Premier League a few years later.

Basically, top six. With the Cup there's always next year.

Reaching the final every time because we can never win the league. Certainly don't want to drop down a league but always liked visiting other grounds in the lower divisions.

I am still raging at the Bobby Houston semi against Rangers Mark 1 in 1979.

And attending and winning 1971 was the best of all days, one that I would love my sons to be able to replicate. Even if we lost in the final, at least jags fans would have a well deserved party day.

We are a very good side at the moment, all playing for each other and will never be involved in the play offs anyway. So let's go for cup glory.

A lot of talk on here about consolidating, but does that really mean anything? Since our promotion it has been established teams, "consolidated" in the premier league; Hearts, Hibs and St Mirren, who have been relegated. Motherwell have survived a playoff. Dundee United are looking doomed and it's Killie and Motherwell again who are currently most in danger of the playoff. It proves that consolidation protects you from nothing, every season you start again, equal with every other team desperate to prove their own status.

I'd take a cup win over top six any day, just not if it meant relegation, because I think that would seriously tarnish the cup winning feeling, and memories.

Edited by allyo

Great question a real catch 22. Like has been said, win the cup and that team become legends , written into the history books. Get relegated and it can be a long long way back.

Wigan a couple of seasons ago look at them now.

Birmingham City won the league cup, first trophy in their history and were relegated the same season. They played and lost 3-0 to West Brom the weekend after winning the cup ( probably still hungover) Thise 3 points meant West Brom stayed up instead of Birmingham.

The list goes on...

Think I'd still rather the clubs name on the trophy though.

I remember Birmingham supporters being asked weather they wanted cup glory or survival. To a man they wanted to see their team win a trophy. Where is the fun in fighting to stay in an over inflated league, playing dour football in order to stay in an over inflated league.

I remember Birmingham supporters being asked weather they wanted cup glory or survival. To a man they wanted to see their team win a trophy. Where is the fun in fighting to stay in an over inflated league, playing dour football in order to stay in an over inflated league.

Whether

Top 6 grows the club and would help us going forward to win the cup.

Relegation via the play-offs would cause tons of damage and set us back several years.

I think our team and management are capable of both winning the cup and being top 6 with the right rub of the green, on our game I don't fear us playing anyone

Relegation via the play-offs would cause tons of damage and set us back several years.

I think our team and management are capable of both winning the cup and being top 6 with the right rub of the green, on our game I don't fear us playing anyone

Hear hear.

Hear Hear here too.

Just what I would have said but it would have taken me several more paragraphs to make the same point.

Up and down the leagues has been our bread and butter for years and the chanpionship is not a bad league but I was 4 on our last cup final visit so wasn,t there.

No it is time for a Scottish Cup day to live long in the memory please. Even better a story of lifting the cup to tell the next generation.

Top 6 is just short term success and doesn,t get remembered at all.