Aberdeen Game 19/02/16

Lindau

• Members

Anyone remember when the last fully dry day was in Glasgow? The Motherwell game barely made it and some players commented after the match that they were unsure of how the ball would react on certain areas of the pitch. I cant recall a dry day since and if you look back on this forum to when the Hearts game was cancelled, many were predicting this game would be off after checking the long range weather forecast. Come the end of the month, I wont be surprised if the weather people come back and say it's been the wettest February on record if this keeps up.

The club were never going to admit the game was in any doubt. It would probably have knocked a good couple of hundred off the crowd before they'd even got around to the inspection. Folk don't travel if there are doubts.

This must be impacting Cash Flow pretty badly. Together with lost hospitality income, game receipts and the likelihood of a lower crowd for the 'replay', it'll be running into the £100k mark quite soon, if it isn't already.

The ground has obviously got a major drainage problem. Have we been burying our head in the sand (excuse the pun)? Plastic pitches are inevitable unless the proposed extended winter break makes a difference. I'd prefer Summer Football anyway. Game needs a reboot in this country

Edited by brodieboy

It is, I understand, common practice that whichever competent ref is available nearby does the pitch inspection if the appointed official can't get there early.

It certainly was.

A couple of years back, I worked beside a Grade 1 ref near Edinburgh. There were times he drove out to do pitch inspections at lunchtime as the match ref was based too far away. At least once up to Perth.

Note - at lunchtime. Not late afternoon.

I'd hoped never to darken the forum again but the shite that is being talked compels me.

My information is that the club have been requesting a pitch inspection since early morning. The SPFL refused, saying it would be 5.30 as per the normal referee inspection. They relented at 3.30. Therefore the club have not being telling "bare-faced lies" as some would have us believe. They were giving out accurate information. There was no planned pitch inspection.

As for the tv money. We haven't lost that. It's shared out equally regardless.

I'll let you all get back to it now.

Colin

They were telling everyone who phoned that the game was on, and that there was no pitch inspection planned.

This blatantly wasn't the case.

Iain. You are just making stuff up. There was no pitch inspection "planned" because the SPFL hadn't agreed to one.

If it had been left up to them, the referee -Alan Muir-would have turned up at 5.30 as per his remit and called it off.

As it happened they finally managed to get Bobby Madden over at 3.30 and he did the inspection.

Perhaps the problem is as someone points out. Refs have other jobs and the SPFL had no-one available earlier. It's telling that the match referee didn't do it, which suggests he wasn't available.

I appreciate this is difficult because it's doesn't suit your agenda.

If you have facts-not speculation- to the contrary, i'm sure we would all be happy to read them.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

A Friday night Jags v Aberdeen fixture should never have been scheduled for TV in the first place. If TV coverage is essential then early or late Saturday or any time on Sunday would've at least meant the opposition support would by and large not have to take time off their work.

And coming to think of it how many of those slamming the Club tonight bothered to make the journey to Pittodrie on the 30th of Dec.? Don't blame anyone who didn't go. The game was played in the wake of Hurricane Whatever. Travelling conditions were deplorable and there was little guarantee before most folk would've to set out that the game would be played. If there's a common denominator between those two games it's surely the SPFL's total contempt for the supporter.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

Iain. You are just making stuff up. There was no pitch inspection "planned" because the SPFL hadn't agreed to one.

If it had been left up to them, the referee -Alan Muir-would have turned up at 5.30 as per his remit and called it off.

As it happened they finally managed to get Bobby Madden over at 3.30 and he did the inspection.

Perhaps the problem is as someone points out. Refs have other jobs and the SPFL had no-one available earlier. It's telling that the match referee didn't do it, which suggests he wasn't available.

I appreciate this is difficult because it's doesn't suit your agenda.

If you have facts-not speculation- to the contrary, i'm sure we would all be happy to read them.

They could have told people there was very likely to be an inspection....

Edited by p12tfc

The game was called off 4 hours before k.o. That's the equivalent of an 11am call off for a 3pm game. That seems reasonable given that we now also know that the club had been trying to get an inspection all day.

In addition we know we've had covers on the affected area. And we've been using lamps. The pics show an improvement since motherwell game in terms of grass etc.

It's disappointing . I'm sure everyone at the club is disappointed. I know-having spoken to a key BT Sport person-they are equally frustrated. Not at Thistle. At the way the authorities are completely disorganised.

What is more disappointing is that some fans-without any knowledge of the situation- suggest the club lied to fans. Or deliberately

mislead fans. Hopefully, on reflection, they'll revise their knee-jerk reaction. Maybe in time they'll apologise too.

The game was called off 4 hours before k.o. That's the equivalent of an 11am call off for a 3pm game. That seems reasonable given that we now also know that the club had been trying to get an inspection all day.

In addition we know we've had covers on the affected area. And we've been using lamps. The pics show an improvement since motherwell game in terms of grass etc.

It's disappointing . I'm sure everyone at the club is disappointed. I know-having spoken to a key BT Sport person-they are equally frustrated. Not at Thistle. At the way the authorities are completely disorganised.

What is more disappointing is that some fans-without any knowledge of the situation- suggest the club lied to fans. Or deliberately

mislead fans. Hopefully, on reflection, they'll revise their knee-jerk reaction. Maybe in time they'll apologise too.

Not strictly true LSR, called the club at 1.30 and was told there was no planned pitch inspection and organised my work schedule accordingly but maybe I'm not privy to your inside information.

I was neither surprised,disappointed or particularly put out when I found out at 4pm that the game was off.

However, in an age of instant media communication, it does seem a bit surprising that there was nothing on the club website/twitter that the game might be in doubt...especially as apparently the SPFL were planning an inspection at 5.30pm and the club wanted this done earlier.

Richard Gordon commented on Sportsound tonight that there was nothing except our Arty Giveaway on the club twitter prior to the game off announcement at after 4pm, with an implied criticism that this was too late for travelling Dons supporters. It didn't give a particularly good impression of the club...though in contrast there was no similar criticism of Hearts who posted a tweet at 11am on Saturday saying there was no inspection planned and it was very much game on.

When interviewed, Derek Macinnes mentioned that he had spoken to Alan Archibald during the afternoon who had still been hopeful that the game would go ahead. This doesn't seem to tally with the suggestion that the Club were so concerned about the pitch that they wanted an early inspection. There was no input from Thistle about the efforts to get the game on or concerns about the effect of postponements on our League position...or anything.

Sometimes it seems like the Club has no media voice...and only the in-know-insiders are privy to information.

• Like 1

That's true but it would still be too late to stop the away fans leaving. My point being it would be far more tolerable at the weekend when the majority wouldn't have had to take time off work. If there's any duty of care issue here it surely lies not with PTFC but with Doncaster and the SPFL who rearranged the fixture to such an antisocial time/date. The same Doncaster and SPFl that had us traipsing up to Pittodrie in the wake of a storm the day before Hogmanay.

Is there any truth in the rumour that Aberdeen protested about the state of the park and said the game should be cancelled?

I was at Firhill at 2.30. I spoke to one of the TVs crew who said it was very unlikely that the game would go ahead, in her words " puddles everywhere". The Aberdeen bus was outside the ground and I spoke to Gordon Marshall the goalkeeping coach who told me there was an inspection at 3.30. He also said there were puddles on both sides of the pitch. When I asked him if he thought the game would go ahead he replied " can't see it going ahead".

I asked him if they were angry about being brought to Glasgow when the game was in doubt, he said it was part of a footballers life but he was angry that Aberdeen fans were already on their way. By the way he was a really nice guy.

Can anybody think up a pop up competition for this weekend?

Not sure how to post survey but what will happen first .....Callum Booth to notch his first goal for the Jags or us to be awarded a penalty!?

All these postponements giving me the fear that we might need to wait until the play offs to get a few PK's...here's hoping we won't see a double with CB having to score a PK then for his first!

If the club had been trying to get a pitch inspection all day, why not just tell people when they ask? They could have even said we've requested a precautionary pitch inspection and are awaiting a response from the spfl. To say no inspection planned when they were trying to get one may not be an out and out lie but they could've easily given the fans who asked a bit more info. It isn't unreasonable for people wanting to know so they can plan their day/night accordingly.