Aberdeen Game 19/02/16

Lindau

Jeez. So the club are either lying or incompetent?

Maybe they were just toe-ing a ridiculous party line. There was no official inspection planned( the SPFL wouldn't do one).

I'll chuck in something else. I'd heard that Aberdeen had requested that hour by hour updates not be given. They wanted only official communication.

Did The club say "the game is not in doubt"? I'd be amazed if that were the case.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

Jeez. So the club are either lying or incompetent?

Maybe they were just toe-ing a ridiculous party line. There was no official inspection planned( the SPFL wouldn't do one).

I'll chuck in something else. I'd heard that Aberdeen had requested that hour by hour updates not be given. They wanted only official communication.

Did The club say "the game is not in doubt"? I'd be amazed if that were the case.

Inspection at 3.30 just spoke to Aberdeen staff at Firhill and they tell me a lot of water on pitch.

I was at Firhill at 2.30. I spoke to one of the TVs crew who said it was very unlikely that the game would go ahead, in her words " puddles everywhere". The Aberdeen bus was outside the ground and I spoke to Gordon Marshall the goalkeeping coach who told me there was an inspection at 3.30. He also said there were puddles on both sides of the pitch. When I asked him if he thought the game would go ahead he replied " can't see it going ahead".

I asked him if they were angry about being brought to Glasgow when the game was in doubt, he said it was part of a footballers life but he was angry that Aberdeen fans were already on their way. By the way he was a really nice guy.

It's disappointing that the first thing Aberdeen do when they get off the bus at the back of 3, is announce to the public that there's a pitch inspection at half past. Especially when they wanted only official communication.

@SteveT1983's Tweet: Was told at 2:30 by the club the game wasn't in any doubt at all and no inspection planned...

Edited by potty trained
  • Like 1

I think we are probably done here admin. It's not like anyone is adding any sort of any factual info, is it?

I love comments like this on a forum... If topics are only allowed to continue using factual information we'd be aswell scrapping the whole forum!

Clearly some posters on here know each other and have gripes which continue, but people have the right to air their grievances if, as in this instance, they believe the club could've done better. As it is a forum, you are obviously more than welcome to agree with and defend the club but to suggest the topic be closed because you've had enough of your tete-a-tete is a bit selfish. LET THE PEOPLE MOAN!

Admin, I'm now finished discussing this subject, please lock the topic with immediate effect.

• Like 3

I know-having spoken to a key BT Sport person-they are equally frustrated.

I love the fact you felt compelled to tell us it was a key employee. Hilarious.

Gutted this was called off as Thistle don't get on telly much and I was really, really looking forward to watching a full 90 minutes.

• Like 2

I wonder how many other games will be postponed today (or tomorrow for that matter) given the weather.

As an example I notice high tide at Greenock is in about an hour (low tide being about 1530) - and given Cappielow is barely above sea level (26 feet or thereabouts so I am told) that might impact on their drainage and the possibility of their game going ahead - I would suggest that if Cappielow is playable then self-evidently something is wrong at Firhill - either drainage, pitch preparation, or a more fundamental issue with the water table in the area - water running down from Hamiltonhill/Ruchill. Difficult to see what the club can do about the external issues - especially given we are in the middle of the wettest winter weather on record - but some traditionally dreadful surfaces like that at Greenock seem to have improved over the past few years whereas Firhill still seems to be very much at the mercy of the climate.

Of course Morton's (and other) games might be off today and that will perhaps provide mitigating circumstances for the situation at Firhill.

Our pitch is well above the Firhill road at the city end. It should be fairly simple to drain the water away that way, it will be down to finances though as it will likely cost a few notes to dig up the pitch and install suitable drainage etc. Theres no doubt something will be done in the summer. For the time being we need to get on with it. The lack of income in the last few months due to no games could be the difference between offering osman etc decent contracts. Tuesday is a massive game and we could do with an attendance like we had v morton in the 'title decider' 3 years ago to help boost the coffers

• Like 1

This drainage problem seems to be concentrated at the city end of the JHS and has only become a problem in fairly recent years.

I wonder if the bing is a contributory factor.

When it was covered in concrete, all the water falling on that area would have run down the terracing and been conducted away by some sort of drainage in the walkway at pitch level behind the goal.

Now any rain falling on the bing will percolate through the surface and some of it could end up adding to the water falling on the playing surface.

Whatever the cause, we need to get it fixed for next season (to state the blindingly obvious).

I think we have to give the communications folk the benefit of the doubt sometimes. Official club communications have to be 100% accurate, but in this case there seems to have been a lot of uncertainty about if and when an inspection was going to take place. I don't think the club can tweet 'we're trying to get a pitch inspection but thus far we've been ignored'. Perhaps they have been a bit slow off the mark when the inspection was granted, but when there is a degree of uncertainty and the situation is changing rapidly, I can see how it may be difficult to get the go-ahead to release such a message.

I'm enjoying #dancegate though and am looking forward to the next episode. Will Ian bring up the fact that LSR once knicked his pint of cider and blackcurrant? Will LSR reveal that he is in fact Ian's dad? The suspense.

So Aberdeen knew on their way down, before they arrived at the ground at 2.30 that there was a pitch inspection planned for 3.30.

It's disappointing that the first thing Aberdeen do when they get off the bus is announce to the public that there's a pitch inspection in an hour. Especially when they wanted only official communication.

@SteveT1983's Tweet: Was told at 2:30 by the club the game wasn't in any doubt at all and no inspection planned...

Withdraw this post. I never said I spoke to Aberdeen staff at 2.30. The timing of my post is 3.18 that is just after I spoke to them. I have no idea when they knew there was an inspection planned. You should be asking why Aberdeen and not Thistle were saying when the inspection was taking place.

I think it would be better for us if Killy did take points off Dundee. We won't be in the bottom 2 once we start to play games

With the best will in the world, how can you tell that we will win these games?. If we are bottom 2 tinight then that starts to have a physciological impact, add in none of the games in hand are easy, plus as has been mentioend amny times before playing so many games in a short space of time increases risk of injuries. Its not impossible that we lose all our games in hand. I would have much preferred to have played them on the allocated dated when we were ahead of Motherwell, Killie, Hamilton and even Inverness - then I would have been more confident about securing safety earlier - as it is now this current farce is very unsettling and wont be easy for the players either

Glad the game was off. would have been unable to make the game and besides Aberdeen don't lose two games in one week. I propose we play all our postponed games in June

An Aberdeen side that would be on a downer from monday night, has lost their best striker playing against a team that has had plenty of rest, I think we stood a chance

Withdraw this post. I never said I spoke to Aberdeen staff at 2.30. The timing of my post is 3.18 that is just after I spoke to them. I have no idea when they knew there was an inspection planned. You should be asking why Aberdeen and not Thistle were saying when the inspection was taking place.

I was driving down to Glasgow early as I can't stand heavy traffic. I've dunnikierjag to thank for me not making a fruitless journey. His post was as far as I'm aware the first piece of communication that the game was definitely in serious doubt. Armed with that bit of knowledge I avoided the motorway and was, when abandonment confirmed, able to head back. Saved me some diesel and good half hour of wasted driving. :thumbsup2:

The pitch has become compacted over the years and this is why we have drainage problems, to remedy this would require a complete restructuring of the base layers and an overhaul of the drainage system. The canal has no impact on the surface at Firhill regarding water ingress. Alan the groundsman does a brilliant job on our pitch but unfortunately he can only work on the surface to try and make it playable, weather permitting of course.

I was driving down to Glasgow early as I can't stand heavy traffic. I've dunnikierjag to thank for me not making a fruitless journey. His post was as far as I'm aware the first piece of communication that the game was definitely in serious doubt. Armed with that bit of knowledge I avoided the motorway and was, when abandonment confirmed, able to head back. Saved me some diesel and good half hour of wasted driving. :thumbsup2:

glad I was able to help L.I.B.

With the best will in the world, how can you tell that we will win these games?. If we are bottom 2 tinight then that starts to have a physciological impact, add in none of the games in hand are easy, plus as has been mentioend amny times before playing so many games in a short space of time increases risk of injuries. Its not impossible that we lose all our games in hand. I would have much preferred to have played them on the allocated dated when we were ahead of Motherwell, Killie, Hamilton and even Inverness - then I would have been more confident about securing safety earlier - as it is now this current farce is very unsettling and wont be easy for the players either

We have 10 games to play between now and the 1st game of the split which is 23rd April - so 2 full months. There are 8 Saturdays not counting today. There are no top league games scheduled for 5th March or 26th March. Let's get the Aberdeen and Hearts games rearranged for those dates. That wouldn't make it too strenuous for the players.

Edited by Lenziejag

We have 10 games to play between now and the 1st game of the split which is 23rd April - so 2 full months. There are 8 Saturdays not counting today. There are no top league games scheduled for 5th March or 26th March. Let's get the Aberdeen and Hearts games rearranged for those dates. That wouldn't make it too strenuous for the players.

The 26th is an international weekend so that's unlikely. Both Hearts & Aberdeen will have players on international duty.

Edited accordingly, sorry for misreading the timing of your discussions with Aberdeen.