Any Baseball Fans Here.

mrD

after the end of the nfl season I've been looking for something new to get my fix of late night sports happening. major league baseball season starts in April. decided to pick the cubs as my team as formed in 1876 known as the lovable losers haven't won a world series since 1908. familiar territory for a jags pedigree person.

anybody like baseball?

• Like 1

I LOVE baseball; attended the phillies v blue jays World Series in '93 and been to Shea and Yankee stadium on many occasions. Also collected a vast baseball library auntil my wife and I started travelling and the books had to go. Baseball inspires some of the very best sports writing imagineable. A great sport with a fascinating history populated by some amazing characters

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

As you may tell by my avatar, i'm a Red Sox fan. first game i went to was in Toronto (BlueJays v Minnesota Twins), been hooked on the game ever since.

Been to games at L.A Dodgers, L.A. Angels, San Francisco, Toronto Blue Jays, and Tampa Bay Rays Stadiums. never quite made it to Boston (yet) I have sometimes even arranged holidays to the states around Red Sox fixtures (my better half still thinks it's a coincidence that the Bosox are in town at the same time as us).

Edited by joe the driver

I love baseball - got into it around 12 years or so ago. I 'follow' the San Francisco Giants - makes me feel like sevtic fans must feel, never having been at an actual match.

The sport obviously does have a number of comparisons with cricket; even more so with rounders, as many cynics 'helpfully' like to point out. I'm only now starting to understand most of the rules and tactics. I, personally, find it fascinating, and it's one of those sports where the game's never really won until the death. You always get a result - no draws. The stars earn fabulous money, as you might expect, but they'll play162 games in the regular season - over just under 7 months.

By the way, I'm jealous of JTD having been to Candlestick/AT&T Park.

Monni Giants.

BJ,

It was a weekend series I was at, couldn't get a ticket for the Friday night game which the Giants won. Got tickets for the Saturday and Sunday games which the Bosox won. 40,000 fans at both games and half of them were Red Sox fans, 3000 miles from home. No segregation, sitting having a beer watching the game, all very civilised.

Sitting at a live game is a lot different from watching it on the telly, there is so much going on the average 3 hour match just flies in. Hope you manage to get to a game sometime.

• Like 1

Been a huge Giants fan for 30 years although not seen them live yet. Planning to go next summer and get to as many games as I can.

Went to my first game last year when I was in New York, saw the Yankees play the Blue Jays and got a cracker. 5 each after 9 innings with all the runs coming on 7 home runs, before Toronto scored 4 in the 11th without hitting the ball out the infield. Yankees pitchers walked 5 and hit a batter! The home fans were not happy! With it being a Saturday game a lot of Toronto fans in New York for the weekend were there so the atmosphere was great, with plenty abuse being thrown in both directions but all good natured. $18 a pint was a bit steep though!

• 4 months later...

Walked down to old exhibition stadium when I was 15 & on holiday in Canada at time. Saw jays get beat by Texas rangers. Followed them since, last game attended was beating yankees in jeter's final game in Toronto @ Rodgers.

Love the total variety of games from slugging home runs; pitching duels; run manufacturers etc.

Great sport

• 3 weeks later...