St Johnstone 02/03/16

Lindau

Not there last night, but from the audio commentary and the highlights Welshy looked really sharp - anybody want to comment on his performance?

Plenty of pluses but a few negatives as well. He continues to go to ground when tackled heavily and while others manage to win a free kick (wrongly) the ref nearly always waves plays on when it's Welsh on the receiving end. Also his ratio of good passes to poor isn't as high as it once was and he's not winning as many defensive headers in midfield as he once did.

On the bright side the work he puts in is top rate and allows the likes of Banzo more time to go forward in a positive manner. (That was the the only minor criticism I had of Stuart previously, too much lateral play). Welsh was getting forward into dangerous areas a good bit more, his tame shot at goal in the 2nd half coming after an impressive charge forward. Mannus did well to save his hard hit free kick in the first half so it was a wee bit surprising he didn't connect firmer.

I feel that Welsh's over severe critics fail to see his contribution to the more mundane side of the game that's every bit as necessary as some of the more noticeable play by others. That coupled with his high work rate and never hiding makes him an easy target when he makes errors. Most of the criticism is kinda justified just imo over the top.

I like Welsh, feel he can add to the team when he plays next to Osman.

He's not hit top form much this year, he was rightly dropped recently after a poor spell.

However, bearing in mind how long he's been out this is pretty much his first full year in the top league.

Hopefully he can take the positives from his play this year and improve on his weaknesses next season.

His work rate as mentioned is excellent, some of the criticism has been a little OTT in my opinion.

Re Welsh

The first half was as good as I have seen him play all season probably.

Frustrating though in the second half two good chances - header and shot both lacked conviction and power

Overall, a better contribution to the team than of late though

Edited by jaf

I feel that Welsh's over severe critics fail to see his contribution to the more mundane side of the game that's every bit as necessary as some of the more noticeable play by others. That coupled with his high work rate and never hiding makes him an easy target when he makes errors. Most of the criticism is kinda justified just imo over the top.

Something that I have said on several match threads this season. Sean does a lot of work that goes unnoticed and he does the less glamorous midfield role. He is a very important part of the team.

• Like 1

As I do not think that anyone else has mentioned this, I thought I should say how impressed I was by Ryan Edwards' cameo appearance towards the end. While Banzo ran the show in the last ten minutes, Edwards was an able lieutenant with quick feet, lively movement and good ball retention. Hopefully we will see more of him in our challenging games in the coming week as no doubt we will have to shuffle our attacking midfield pack. He did well in the away game at Aberdeen after Christmas so perhaps he could be in with a shout for a starting slot on Tuesday.

• Like 4

Excellent 1st half performance & dogged 2nd half. Bannigan at the end of the game was like a fresh sub that had just came on, unbelievable. Pogba did very well in the 1st half, not sure how good a footballer he actually is...but if he uses his assets well then he can let the players round about him play the nice stuff.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Gary Miller has been excellent since his return, he was good at the start of the season also. Be happy to retain him for next season. Liam Lindsay was also very good, won everything in the 1st half, am impressive comeback considering his age & lack of game time in recent matches.

Cracking right-foot shot by our left back for the opener!

Thomas got caught out a bit by the cross for their goal, though the guy was left totally unmarked.

Don't think the keeper does anything wrong. Lindsay, Seaborne and Miller have two SJ Jonstone players to mark and don't get near either.

It was an amazingly good cross. Very hard to defend against.

That's what I thought as well. Similar in a way, tho' a different type of cross, to when Stevenson scored late on v ICT. It might be thought of as speculative but in that sort of area you've every chance of getting lucky. On both occasions it makes the goalie out to look more culpable than he was.