Killie Game 02/04/16

Lindau

We went wide far too many times , too many pointless punts down the wings. I like Pogba but he hardly ever wins a header.The fact is he's better with the ball at his feet. Thought we fell out it a bit when Edwards went off in an attacking sense.

Our crossing is abysmal. That game was very reminiscent of early season when countless balls were punted in from too wide positions. The only cross that looked like causing any danger was the one driven hard and low across the face of goal.

We have to get our forwards facing the goal rather than playing the entire game running away from goal.

The back four was solid against a Killie side who's crossing was as pish as ours.

Some of the fouls the ref gave to Killie were a joke, thought Abdul was heading for a red.

Can't fault the teams effort at all , but the standard of actual football was poor. We got sucked into a game of hoofball by a sh1te Kille side.

Fat boy missed an absolute sitter for them and Higgy looks burnt out, that's what a season on the astro does for you.

TBH I was glad of a point at the end . Massive improvement needed for the United game . Crossing practice needed from now till Kick Off.

Edited by angry gaz
  • Like 2

Not much to say about that. Thought we were lucky to get a point. Defence was solid in the face of an ariel bombardment. The Killie new guy (Addison?) made Pogba look like Stevie Lawless. Felt we should have put Amoo through the middle to really test his lack of pace. Amoo was one of the bright sparks along with bid Fred, whom I thought was excellent. Whole defence played well, though Magennis ripped Calum a few times. Big thumbs up to the Killie fans for giving young Archie and his family a warm round of applause when they passed the main stand and great to see Firhill legend Alex Rae again doing the HT draw. For feck sake Thistle, get that bloody mike sorted for next year. I thought Norman Collier was dead!

Edited by Lindau

Yes, it was like taking a trip back in a time machine: big punts up forward, inching along the sidelines with throws-in and endless series of crosses that did not even produce an effort on target, with a few goalmouth scrambles for good measure. That style of football died decades ago, but we seemed determined to follow Kilmarnock's lead in resuscitating it. Woeful.

• Like 2

I quite enjoyed the 1st half. Amoo looked like he could be the one to create something. 2nd half Killie caused us problems especially when Magennis came on. I am relieved we got a point.

Today's subs didn't improve the team at all, I am afraid. Dools got no service and Gary Fraser was terrible when came on for Edwards. Elliot was ok.By that time Amoo had fallen right out of it.

We still have a chance of top 6, but not if we play like we did today.

Pogba I would chase on that performance today, his lack of ability at lifting his feet off the ground is shocking.

He should have been putting himself all over the Killie defence given his size but barely won a header. Lazy end of !

Cerny good keeper , probably the best we have had in years but FFS sort your distribution of the ball out ! Talk about slowing the game down, If only he could bring a little bit of Jonny Tuffey in to his game....I will dream on.

• Like 2

Our display in one word: toothless.

I'd rather watch us play the kind of football we did in our first season back in the SPL and lose, than watch us draw or even win watching that utter crap. Everything I've criticised the likes of Ross County for over the seasons was on display in that performance.

Our display in one word: toothless.

I'd rather watch us play the kind of football we did in our first season back in the SPL and lose

You'd be happy for Thistle to lose? Naive nonsense. Remember this is professional football. If PTFC won every week I couldn't give two hoots how it was achieved.

Edited by Vaila Street

Thought the first half was great. Amoo and Pogba were stand outs with Miller link8ng up really well with them. Best 45 I've seen from Welsh this season.

Anyone who rubbishes Pogba on today's performance does not know a thing about tactics or maybe doesn't watch what's happening during a game.

Second half was really poor. All the good work fell apart. Balls started breaking to them instead of us.

As for killie. Sitting second bottom of the league and time wasting 20 minutes into the first half at nil nil? Get it up ye.

Thought we were good first half but looked vulnerable in the second. Enjoyed it though.

Amoo looks more confident. Still needs to improve his final ball, but at least now he's beating his man and getting them in instead of turning and laying the ball back.

Not the sub I would have chosen Edwards/Fraser. Ryan's still to finesse his game, but he was buzzing about in an area where we need options, the final third. Reviews of him being a "more attack minded" Bannigan seem to me to be pretty accurate so far.... promising. Thought the game slowed and killie looked more settled when he was hooked.

Lawless didn't look like he wanted to be on the left wing. Perhaps Christie would have been better coming on before Gary, or we should maybe have taken the punt on Doolan/Pogba upfront with our first change of personnel.

They did it bringing Magennis on and I'm just at a bit of a loss why Archie seems reluctant to give the two of them up front more of a go. Pogba was making himself a nuisance and Amoo was getting balls in, I think Dools could find the places to be at the right time to add that finishing touch. It would have made our shape a bit lop-sided, but like I say, wee Stevie didn't seem to enjoy his shift today on the left and moved into the middle when Elliot came on. Leave the left flank to Booth alone... i dunno.... maybe asking alot.... but we gotta do something to threaten that goal and start hitting the target.

I still think Archie sometimes sticks to much to his chosen formation. The players are capable but I think we could get more with a little more creativity/flexibility around our shape. Maybe it's a defender's upbringing, holding the line and keeping a good shape... alot of words to describe no plan "B"? :) .... aye maybe.... but .... ach..... I just think it's subtle changes required rather than sweeping ones.

....Same killie we've seen since we've come up. Big men in the box and falling like there's a sniper in the stands whenever they are within set piece range of getting the ball into them. We did well to, for the most part, hold them off.

D.U. will be a different kettle of relegation bait, I think. Faster? more desperate? more creative? .... We've got what it takes to handle them.... we just need goals. Dools and Pogba ... let's go for it!

:fan:

• Like 1

Disappointing game. Referee did everything he could to give Killie the advantage in the second half, very frustrating the number of free kicks they kept getting in our half.

Highlight of the match for me was the new Freddie Frans song!

Also heartwarming to see young Archie and family on the pitch at half time and hear the crowd sing his name :-)

• Like 1

Really disappointed with the way we played this afternoon. I can't believe we allowed ourselves be be drawn into a game of head-tennis with a technically inferior team. What's worse, a lot of the time our punts seemed to be directed towards Ryan Edwards, who stood absolutely no chance. Sean Welsh seemed to be the only player interested in kick-starting our passing game.

We deserved to lose.

• Like 2

I've been fairly critical of Welchie in other games, but I thought he was outstanding today.

Some of his passing was sublime and he would have been my man of the match.

(Didn't hear who got the motm - was it read out?)

PS - FFS, Thistle, get that microphone fixed once and for all. It's way past embarrassing.

Young Archie and Alex Rae deserved better than that shambles today

• Like 1

Really poor game.Thought we started very slowly and very nervous with their free kicks.Could have been behind after only 5mins.We must start Tuesday nights game better or it could be a long night.Imo we still need a few points to make sure we don't get sucked into play off.Remember Hibs a few years ago if they had beat St.Johnstone they would have been top 6.They lost and as they say the rest is history.Also our set pieces are very poor.

Edited by Auld Jag

Terrible match. As already stated before how did an Archie side get sucked into kick and rush football. Heedies and Kicks stuff. A healthy crowd today with a few extra enticed back but as usual we blow it with that spectacle.

Also when are Archie and Scott going to get some stuff going in training to do something different when it comes to corner kicks. As usual we had about 15-20 and never created one opportunity. Forwards were like statues waiting for the ball to be flighted in. In American football they have set "plays". Different scenarios and movements to create something diffferent everytime. We are not taking adavantage at all of these set pieces.

Lastly what is the tactic all about that when Cerny takes a by- kick all 20 players make there way into a 20 x 20 yard section of the pitch just next to the dugouts. Its beyond me what this achieves. Maybe Archie doesnt see it because of the low line of sight from the dugout. Our left back was deliberately moving in field. to the centre circle. Can someone explain this to me as it is just looks amateurish

The only ray for me was all those Killy freekicks near the end. That used to always end up in a last minute goal against us but we took a point the day.

I think some of the posts on here are a bit unfair on Thistle. What Clarke has given that lot is even more physicality which we found hard to match. They held on, tugged jersies, backed in and fell to the slightest contact and the ref gave them everything. Has there EVER been a game when an away side got more free kicks than they got today?

When we lost 1-0 at Tynecastle I thought that Madden treated it as a man's game and let play flow - if he had been in charge today it might have been a different story.

I seem to go on about it every week but we are still DIRE at corners and free kicks. Does no thought EVER go into these? Igroan every time we get one and just think it would be better giving their goalie the ball back because we are fantastically consistent. We NEVER do anything remotely dangerous.

And why didn't Amoo run at them IN the box - we might have got one of those penalty thingies?

All in all it was a nerve jangling afternoon and I was exhausted after it - but I knew before I got to Firhill it would be like that.

Roll on Tuesday night!

Thought the first half was great. Amoo and Pogba were stand outs with Miller link8ng up really well with them. Best 45 I've seen from Welsh this season.

Anyone who rubbishes Pogba on today's performance does not know a thing about tactics or maybe doesn't watch what's happening during a game.

Second half was really poor. All the good work fell apart. Balls started breaking to them instead of us.

As for killie. Sitting second bottom of the league and time wasting 20 minutes into the first half at nil nil? Get it up ye.

That will be me then Davie that your talking about.

The big fella scores his 2nd goal of the season the other week at Hamilton and in my opinion having been at the game today he couldn't be arsed jumping for the ball.

Correct me if I am wrong but as a target man should he not win some and lose some ? He won next to feck all today and needs a size 9 before he puts Dools out of the team again.

Im 48 and my 1st game was when I was 8 so I have seen plenty of games to understand what's going on thanks !

Edited by Jaggy1967