2016-17 Pre Season Thread!

Lindau

What are we all looking for next season? Gonna be difficult to break into the Top 6 with Sevco back. With Maxi saying we are looking to bring in 2 or 3 players over the summer, that sounds to me that most of the current squad will be signing on for next season, which I am reasonably content with, though rumours that Scully has been offered another contract makes me hope that, unlike this season, Tomas will have an injury free season next season. Be interesting to know how many goals the defence have shipped with Cerny in goals and Scully in goals! Defensively we need Dan (if he is still here) and Liam to stop backing off and encouraging forwards to run at them and Liam could do with some sprinting sessions with Junior Mendes. If Banzo or Steve goes we probably need another couple of midfielders and we definitely need more striker options as I can't see Pogba scoring against anyone, other than Hamilton. Big hopes for Ryan Edwards, who is improving with every game. Finally the hardest part and the bit every manager must dread.... my list of free's this season would be Scully, Wilson, Pogba, Duggan and McDaid and probably a few of the development squad

Edited by Lindau

Okay, now all that stressful playing-football-for-points stuff is out the way, we can start to properly enjoy ourselves. I'd be delighted if we could sign up the majority of our out-of-contract players, but we definitely need to add a few new faces to kick on. If we could add just two (or maybe three) quality players to that squad, I honestly think we'd be in with a chance of a trophy next season. We need greater creativity and more of a goal threat from midfield. And someone who was good at deadball situations wouldn't go amiss either. I've no idea who might be available - although I wouldn't mind taking a punt on Muirhead - and I suspect Archie's targets are likely to be unknowns from the English lower leagues, but I'm confident the Gaffer knows what he's doing and I'm looking forward to next season already... Over to all Thistle-minded people everywhere - wildly inaccurate, but optimistic, signing rumours welcomed, as always...

Bin Scully, Lindsay, Welsh , Wilson, Elliott, Pogba, Duggan McDaid and Fraser.

Bit harsh on Lindsay considering this was his first season as a fully-fledged first team member. He's still pretty young and I would be interested to see what he can do with another pre-season under his belt. I've also been very impressed whenever Elliott has come off the bench, he seems to inject a bit of life into the team.

If we could come to some sort of mutual release for Welsh, McDaid and Pogba I wouldn't be too disheartened. Just not up to this level, I feel.

If Miller, Frans, Seaborne all sign up then we probably don't need to bring in any defenders.

3-4 additions needed.

We need a replacement for Bannigan.

We need a replacement for Lawless (if he doesn't sign).

We need a replacement for Nesbitt.

We possibly need another striker. With, as previously mentioned, Pogba going or Nisbet heading to the Championship on loan.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

Bit harsh on Lindsay considering this was his first season as a fully-fledged first team member. He's still pretty young and I would be interested to see what he can do with another pre-season under his belt. I've also been very impressed whenever Elliott has come off the bench, he seems to inject a bit of life into the team.

agree with yandr, binning lindsay and elliott is nonsense. rest of bin list i won't disagree with, though harsh on mcdaid and fraser who i wouldn't be against retaining.

And bring in whom? How will we know that they are better?

upgrades ..... names unknown at present, archie is man to ask for names, but tell you before they are signed he won't ..... but archie has always said and maintained he is looking to improve the squad quality year on year, so if we are to continue progressing, better players in some positions needed, archie knows this and will be working on it.

plus there is this .....

We should be fighting for 6th place next season with the likes of St Johnstone and Dundee.

beattie has already stated top six is aim for next season and board is backing manager to achieve that, so as well as archies and shaggys three year deals, you would think that would indicate a budget that would be noticeably improved on this seasons ..... plus, we can see from those who have already extended their time to be at firhill, it is core and important players of the squad, so stability with our most valued players for stability in spine of team is already there ..... if we follow the ethos of the leicester model, it's not all about budget, it is style of play and mentality of players ..... flesh out our squad with upgrades on some players and positions, use our pace, be solid at back (like leicester) and no reason why we shouldn't be looking to finish above ross, dundee, st perth, well, caley, as well as finishing ahead of the relegation dogfighting dross of hamilton, sevco and falkirk (or killie if they somehow avoid the drop again).

Edited by yoda-jag
  • Like 2

Although Pogba triggered the extension with his appearances does he just automatically get extended for a year? bit of a weird option in his contract, as if he was any good we would naturally want to keep him, but we've found out he's pretty keich but we need to keep him

because he's played so many games!

Although Pogba triggered the extension with his appearances does he just automatically get extended for a year? bit of a weird option in his contract, as if he was any good we would naturally want to keep him, but we've found out he's pretty keich but we need to keep him

because he's played so many games!

The most uninteresting re-signing or extension of any of them. Is he going to do anything better than score once every twenty matches or so? I'd love to think so, but don't see it happening. Dud.

Pogba's alright. He's not brilliant, but he's hardly John Baird or Henoc Mukendi level of diddy.

you got plenty of effort from Baird not convinced that's always the case with Mathias. Besides Baird and mukendi only got 6 months if they had been given a year they may have got 2 goals in nearly 30 appearances as well - though maybe not
  • Like 1

Have you ever seen Duggan play?

Ok, I see I never saw an answer to this. Is it fair then to say your ridiculous post was just a wind up? Assuming it was I still feel it could be harmful but let's leave it at that. If it was serious and you think it would be beneficial to the Club to pay off players contracted thru next season I'd love to hear your argument.

If it was just an ill thought out post for the sake of making an ill thought out post please accept my apologies for taking it seriously.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

We really need a central defender. Seabourne is a bombscare at times and his distribution is horrendous. Lindsay constantly gets caught out between chasing the ball or staying with his man. I know it's his first season but I just don't see what people are sometimes raving about. Frans is a decent back up option but a bit on the slow side but would be happy for him to sign an extension.

Letting Liam go would be madness personified however he needs to work hard on his game and should be working with Mendes to try and get his pace up to speed. He is great in the air but sometimes looks ponderous when chasing someone. If he works hard on his game he will have a bright future. We definitely need someone with a bit of pace centrally....maybe Gary Miller!

http://m.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14490098.Archie_urges_out_of_contract_stars_to_follow_Amoo__39_s_lead/

Archie looking for "three or four" new signings. And waiting on Bannigan and Lawless to give him an answer. No mention of others like Seabourne Frans or Miller but with the "three or four" being for each part of the team then at least some of those out of contract defenders must have been made contract offers too.

No! But a 22 year old who has been at the club for three years, hasn't made a first team appearance, keeps being put out on loan and has dcored only a handful of goalsis suggesting he won't cut it. Surely he should have at least made one appearance?

I'm sorry but suggesting we bin a player you've never seen play could be interpreted as being plain daft. Also suggesting binning players that are under contract, thus costing the Club money we can ill afford, appears rather irrational.

I'm sorry but suggesting we bin a player you've never seen play could be interpreted as being plain daft. Also suggesting binning players that are under contract, thus costing the Club money we can ill afford, appears rather irrational.

Your opinion. But then why in three years and at 22 hasn't Duggan featured for yhe first team? And regards paying up contracts of players, hasn't Archie done this before?

Stevenson and Baird for instance? Irrational? Seems we have an irrational manager at the club.