2016-17 Pre Season Thread!

Lindau

not bothering with this result as we had a whole new back line including a trialist keeper, 2 trialist defender plus a new singing and a young boy making his 2nd appearance or something plus we has azeez making his first appearance, Nisbet,Pogba and Welsh starting!

I wonder with us bringing in a trialist keeper if Archie has doubts over Scully, or maybe he's just looking for cover incase Cerny isn't fit and the young boy Cullen isn't ready for first team action.

Game seemed more of a fitness exercise than anything else. First goal was a stupid pen, next a corner we didn't bother to defend, next a fast break we would normally have stopped with a smart foul in a more competitive game, then finally nice long range goal.

Trialist CB in first half was rotten including passes all over the place and have away the pen.

Trialist from Reading was decent again. Adeez offered something different which was nice. Overall though we generated nothing. Decent day out though and result was irrelevant.

For those in the area a Partick Thistle XI will be playing Stranraer at their ground on Saturday at 2pm (according to the Stranraer website anyway).

Beaten 4-2 (source Stranraer FC website).

Not a bad result considering we didn't have a goalie. Begs the question with Cullen, Nisbet, Syme & McMullen in the Bath squad yesterday then who played against Stranraer? Must've been a very young XI indeed.

I see that someone on FB has said that Cerny is still not fit, which if true is a massive blow to go along with the long term injuries to Muzzy and Banzo. Hard to believe it's serious as there was no real signs in that Dundee Und game that it was anything other than a knock. He is one guy that we really do need to keep fit this season!

Edited by Lindau

He'd be playing out of position (well reverting to his original position) to accommodate the trialists. If McMullen has any future with us I guess it'll be at left centreback. He's not bad in the air.

That maybe true, but if he was the No3 and he had been a trialist I would have imagined that would have been his last game!

Watched hi lites, observation, trialist goalie looked OK, No 4 a bomb scare, BAth looked sharp. Onwards to Kirkcaldy and Cappielow

I don't think I've ever seen a keeper so keen to get a quick throw-out or otherwise launch an attack after collecting the ball. He seemed almost manic at times! Both Kenny Arthur and (less so) Scott Fox used to do my nut in because they were always so slow with their kicks or throws.

I don't take pre season games too seriously but am a bit concerned with the defence. We deffo need a big powerful domineering centre back in there!

I'll get concerned when we're in August and our starting 11 begins Trialist, Trialist, McMullin,Trialist, Devine.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever seen a keeper so keen to get a quick throw-out or otherwise launch an attack after collecting the ball. He seemed almost manic at times! Both Kenny Arthur and (less so) Scott Fox used to do my nut in because they were always so slow with their kicks or throws.

I thought that was one of his strengths. Certainly his distribution was better and a lot faster than Gallacher and slightly better than Cerny. Secondary to shot stopping and overall judgement of course but still an important aspect of goalkeeping these days.